Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums?

659 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums, or what prevents you from being more active?

• I'm more active on social networks these days.
    • Technical aspects - e.g. downtimes, design
    • Moderation is too lax.
    • Moderation is too strict.
    • Staff member x is shouldn't be on staff. I'm not coming back until (s)he is demoted.
    • Member y should be on staff. I'm not coming back until (s)he is promoted.
    • Flamewars, fanbois, constant personal attacks
    • Topic x I used to be interested in is hardly discussed anymore. (e.g. OS customisation)
    • Too much discussion of non-technical topics.
    • Too much focus on technical topics.
    • The attitude of certain members of staff.
    • The attitude of certain community members.
    • Who needs the forums? I prefer Neowin IRC.
    • I have a life away from the internet.

When I think back, I remember I used to learn a lot from these forums. I learned about the Windows OS and how to custom-build a PC, among other things. But these days, I learn almost nothing new. The forums used to be largely focused on tech, but in a desperate attempt to attract new users, off-topic discussion is being pushed more than ever. Case and point, The other thread formerly known as: Forums about to reach... This ends up attracting a certain demographic which degrades the forums as a whole.

In other cases, when people ask for help with a problem, they end up being criticized for one reason or another (one example) which doesn't help the technical aspect of the forums at all.

When I think back, I remember I used to learn a lot from these forums. I learned about the Windows OS and how to custom-build a PC, among other things. But these days, I learn almost nothing new. The forums used to be largely focused on tech, but in a desperate attempt to attract new users, off-topic discussion is being pushed more than ever. Case and point, The other thread formerly known as: Forums about to reach... This ends up attracting a certain demographic which degrades the forums as a whole.

In other cases, when people ask for help with a problem, they end up being criticized for one reason or another (one example) which doesn't help the technical aspect of the forums at all.

Oh gosh, I forgot about that too. Yes, nothing like coming to a forum that's meant for you ask technical questions, only to be ridiculed for not already knowing it and having to ask, or better yet, told to Google it. First of all, if I'm coming here, it's because Google wasn't able to help and I need the more specific advice of someone who's experienced and can look at my particular situation. Secondly, if I Google some things, this site comes up in the results. It's the place meant for this kind of discussion. Telling people go to elsewhere is defeating the entire purpose of those forums.

Well I personally stopped posting as much as I used to because I think the Neowin forums became more and more of a Politic and "Real World News/Issues" forum and that's not what I joined Neowin for. :/ I realize in this times alot of things happen but I start to wonder if maybe these forum should be split off into a extra forum similar to NeoGamr, something like NeoWorld or NeoPolitics. I joined Neowin for interesting tech discussions, digging around in the latest Beta of software (does anyone remember the Firefox 4 thread?) customization and things like that.

But these things seem to have taken a backseat nowadays here and it's mostly all about world events etc. I'm not saying these things shouldn't be discussed, by all means they should but I don't think a tech-community should have it's focus revolving around them so separating them and putting them somewhere else might be helpful for the tech enthusiasts and discussions to return to the majority. But as always that's just my opinion^^

• Like 2

Because this is mostly a Windows Fanboy site and I learned there are much better things 'out there' than Microsoft's lock-ins and forced upgrades. That's the truth.

Back then, Neowin was bustling with great technical discussions and OS/app customization. Rarely do I see knowledgeable people act high and mighty with regards to someone's problem. This, however, discouraged me to participate in discussions since I have nothing valuable to contribute given the high volume of smart members back then. Still I decided to finally register in 2009 after lurking the site for 2 years.

Nowadays, non-technical and fanatical discussions are taking the spotlight in addition to less than stellar community responses to technical problems.

• Like 2

My inactivity is mostly because of constant flamewars, and the rest is because I've already redd the news somewhere else by the time it shows up on Neowin.

There is one recent staff promotion I do not agree with - a global moderator whose posts reek of condescension towards members in threads about a beta operating system should have been reprimanded rather than made supervisor.

I tend to agree on the Mods. Over the years some of the Moderators seem mechanical in their judgements/reactions -- or just plain unfriendly.

In other cases, some Mods have been very enjoyable -- you know you can count on them.

I tend to think the world population as a whole, are growing a bit tired of computers, hence there is less interest in posting about them.

And no one is forced to read any particular topic -- if something bothers you, simply ignore it.

As to 'other News', many of those stories reflect the results of the Technology we've accepted, or show where we may be headed in the Future. ;)

Almost thought for a split second the run away leader would be, I have a life away from the internet!

I KNOW I do!! :)

Kind of sad the the majority of you don't. :(

Sometimes I will see a forum post in the upper right, log in via facebook, and it dumps me to the main forum, and no longer on the most recent post / unable to find the post again to comment on it.

(I don't have my browsers memorize my website logins).

Also, I linked my account to FB, unlinked it, then re-linked it... and it seemed to break / create a new different account. Haven't asked this boards support to see about re-linking to old one / merging two accounts together (or even if it's possible).

Almost thought for a split second the run away leader would be, I have a life away from the internet!

Or we post on Neowin only when we're at work, not when we leave and are participating in said life, therefore that's never been a reason I did or didn't post on here. It's irrelevant, therefore wasn't the answer to the poll question :p

Either way, be nice, I didn't always have a life outside of the Internet and some people still don't. Folks ridiculing them are likely part of the problem, or at least certainly not helping. At least try to be a kind member of their "distraction from how much real life sucks". I've been there and done that, and the few good online friends I met were a saving grace at the time.

See, trolls like you are the problem. Why would I want to read posts like that?

It may show I registered recently but I have been browsing these forums since its birth!! and im afraid ill have to agree the technical people left it behind and now certain people just it as a oppurtinity to turn into a flame war! Other than that still will be my number #1 Tech site and I guess change comes in its own forms :)

Having a life away from the internet doesn't stop you from posting, its certainly not the main reason i dont visit anymore, people like you are one of the reasons I don't come to Neowin much anymore.

Because this is mostly a Windows Fanboy site and I learned there are much better things 'out there' than Microsoft's lock-ins and forced upgrades. That's the truth.

Uhh, Apple are more known for that than Microsoft ever have been.

My input: I never posted a huge amount however my posts have declined mainly because I realized that I came to Neowin for an open-minded, intelligent discussion and it's hard to find one of those on the forums now. Threads clog up with ignorance and talking to someone who's ignorant of the world is like talking to a brick wall.

• Like 3

^^ Agree with Tom. There is no open-minded, intelligent, insult-free discussion.

To be honest, this is a place only for fanboys. anyone who's a critic is attacked by fanboys. Moderation is too lax, some of the staff themselves are fanboys, constant personal attacks and flamewars are abundant. There should be a far more stricter moderation and -permanent banning of users on 2-3 violations.

^^ Agree with Tom. There is no open-minded, intelligent, insult-free discussion.

To be honest, this is a place only for fanboys. anyone who's a critic is attacked by fanboys. Moderation is too lax, some of the staff themselves are fanboys, constant personal attacks and flamewars are abundant. There should be a far more stricter moderation and -permanent banning of users on 2-3 violations.

Or at least getting rid of flamey posts. Banning people (except in extreme circumstances) kind of goes against the idea of an open, relaxed, nice environment. If it's made clear that certain types of posts will not stick around, and their stuff is deleted a lot, those people will either lose interest and leave, or tone down their manner of speaking and become more constructive.

See, trolls like you are the problem. Why would I want to read posts like that?

When someone asks if you are being serious (In all probability you are!) you will say that you are only joking! Why would the person who posted (To whom you responded to.) not have an opinion that's perfectly valid? Why is he/she a troll?

I cannot even count all the times I started typing a new post or response, only to change my mind and delete it all because it's not worth the trouble.

So true, this happens to me more often than not! Other times I just HAVE to respond or I end up wanting to put my fist through the screen in front of me. :laugh: Most of the time, as a result, your reply provokes an even more ludicrous response! This is when I find it better to leave as opposed to getting into a slanging match.

I have been here for 7 or 8 years and in that time I think I've asked for help about four or five times and If had more than 5 replies in total (and never got any help at all) it would be a lot! That said this is supposed to be a technical help forum and I've always had to go elsewhere to find it. As a result I never ask for help here. The other day I thought, "What the hell, let me pose a question and see what the result of it would be!" Something like 170 views and not ONE reply, at least not since I last looked.

To be honest I think some people gets too offended when someone critisizes their opinion. A lot of people think if you're against something you're immediately a fanboy of another. Everyone has and are entitled to their opinion, which is good, that's where the discussion is.

However most of the time now both sides would regard the other as being a fanboy, not only does that puts off the argument, the argument then becomes something totally irrelevent to the discussion and off topic.

Only two days ago I hid a lot of the forums that guests couldn't access, and a few like the Read only archive so the forums look a little less daunting.

Giveaway dont help...

First, if you love non Microsoft products, especially Android/IOS/Mac etc.

The comments are sure to disappear and moderators are to blame. Not trying to offend them but moderators are normal people and can be fanboys who like to remove comments and ban people just because they dont like it. Sure, this wont happen if you are MS lover.

Second, less biased generic articles are the most welcome. All you see in front page news is color change of Windows phone and windows 8 screenshot which look the same as the developer preview screenshot.

bring it all technology news and unbiased and sure will bring the crowd on.

my comments disappeared from this topic today http://www.neowin.ne...s-records-in-uk

Mainly due to Windows 8 (everybody trying to kill each other over different opinions) and also non-tech forum posts (such as religious threads or political threads), also not having the time due to life :/

Looking at the poll result and reading the threads the issue of fanbois seems to stand out as the major problem. It's not specific to Neowin, it's a problem all over the internet, and I can't help but wonder whether it became worse in recent years.

Pro-tip: Someone not agreeing with you or favouring a different {smartphone, desktop OS, game console, web browser, ...} than you does not make him/her a fanboi/-girl. Have some self restraint and think before flaming each other, would you?

Also, the question whether or not Neowin should be more Microsoft product-friendly is moot. IT is much more diverse since the rebirth of Apple or the the ubiquity of Android. Limiting its reporting to MS product would do Neowin more harm than good.

• Like 2

Wow after a few drinks I was reading this as "why are you less attractive than you used to be on the Neowin forums":p

I've been a member of the forums for a year and a half and I've noticed the decline in activity as well. I must admit I've become less active due to the amount of coursework recently :(

I have voted for the fanboys/attitude problems and to complement what Mephistopheles said, the problem has become much worse in the last two years.

It is now extremely rare to find a mature discussion with facts/examples/demonstrations. Since that requires some effort, everything boils down now to flame wars/insults.

I stay clear from any discussion about Windows 8 and mostly lurks in RWI because discussions are not interesting. It is not that RWI is known to be a calm section (cough) but 2012 seems to be harsher, more violent than 2008.

About the quality of thread, I found that the 'Post you shower photos' thread inspired by 4chan from a few days ago was a lowest point.

After that, on a technical side, the site is much nicer: it is easy to navigate, to filter information, categories are meaningful and there are not too many levels to dig to find the proper sub-section.