Extremely Slow Typing in Word

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit with Office 2007. As of yesterday, I've noticed that when I go to type a document in Word, the typing is incredibly slow. I'll be typing a sentence and then I'll have to wait for the typing on the screen to catch up. It's as if Word is temporarily freezing and then it comes back. In fact, I guess you could say it is freezing because when I click on the screen, Word will sometimes turn that opaque white color when a program is not responding. Then it will come back to normal before I can kill the task. This does not seem to be happening in Excel nor in PowerPoint. Only in Word.

I have made no changes to my computer in quite a while, nor have I downloaded anything new. This is seemingly a random problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this may be happening? Could I have a corrupt temporary file somewhere? If so, how would I go about removing it?

I would do a Error check, use a Registry checker, and Reinstall Office 2007, in that order.

Really? Re-install Office I can see but all of the other suggestions would only screw it up even more.

Thanks. I tried deleting the Normal.dot template, but unfortunately that didn't change the problem.

I would do a Error check, use a Registry checker, and Reinstall Office 2007, in that order.

How do I do an error check? I'm trying to avoid a complete reinstall, but the thought had indeed crossed my mind.

I'm noticing that when I am able to close out of Word properly, the bottom left-hand corner says, "Connecting to printer. Press ESC to cancel." Whenever I've seen this, I've pressed escape and Word closes. Coincidence? I usually keep my printer off since I rarely print. I've had it off for months and haven't had a problem. Come to think of it, I printed something last week through Word and it was fine, then I turned the printer off again. I think it was after printing that document that I'm noticing this problem happening.

Really? Re-install Office I can see but all of the other suggestions would only screw it up even more.

Running checks won't screw it up more. It will just let him know if the error can be found by the system.

How do I do an error check?

Try running the Microsoft Office Diagnostics. From the ribbon choose the "Word Options" button, then select "Resources" and you'll find the diagnostic tool.

How do I do an error check?

Start --> Computer --> right click Properties of C:\ drive, Tools tab, click Error Checking, check both boxes, Yes, to schedule, then Restart

Well I ran the Office Diagnostics and it found nothing wrong. I uninstalled/reinstalled the printer and graphics drivers. No change. I finally bit the bullet and did a complete uninstall/reinstall of Office. That seemed to do the trick. I'll never know what caused the problem, but now everything works fine. Thanks for the suggestions either way. Greatly appreciated.

Could have been a COM add-in that was causing the issue...

In Office this is called by two things, more often than not;

1) using high quality images in a document (this effects Publisher more often than not, due to most people using images in publications) - especially ones that are merely resized within the program. You can select a picture, click on the format ribbon and then "optimise" the pictures.

2) Printer drivers. Particularly, some printers which are offline yet word attempts to interact with it anyway. Setting a different default printer normally resolves this.