Do you like or hate Windows 8?

The direction Microsoft took with Windows 8  

855 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8?

• Yes I love it, i'll be upgrading
    • No I hate it, i'll stick with Windows 7
    • It doesn't bother me
    • I will use Windows 8 with a start menu hack program

The only reason why the folks that criticize it complain about bias is because the Start menu is missing.

I'm not saying this to be saying it - out of the detractors' own mouths, the one major criticism of Windows 8 is that the Start menu is gone.

No, its obviously still there cause it takes up the whole screen so it can fit its huge googly tiles.

Never mind that compatibility with *desktop applications* with Windows 8 is not only not broken, but is actually better than that of the benchmark it is compared against - Windows 7 + SP1.

Another anecdotal case you haven't shown, not that anyone here is complaining about compatibility issues.

Never mind that the QuickTask power-user's menu is *only* discoverable by mouse-users (there's no shortcut key combo or touch gesture that can launch it).

Another consistancy issue since we have to learn new keyboard shortcuts to do other stuff easily, like the charms.

Because it supports touch *at all* , it's criticized.

No, because to use your favorite word, its biased for touch. (which you think is bias away from mouse - potato, potato)

Installed Windows 8 Release Preview on my PC a few days ago and explored it in more detail.

This thing is so terrible makes me wonder what the hell was Microsoft thinking. Not only it's ugly as ass, everything on it is like anti usability.

This thing is so terrible makes me wonder what the hell was Microsoft thinking.

I don't think a lot of thought went into it.

They couldn't decide if to use aero, metro or the office ribbon so they mixed them all in one. :x

Yeah, it's some bad mix. And I don't mean that in a good way!

Yes, & then there's that. Which again makes me wonder why MS didn't just create two separate operating systems, one for desktops & one for tablets. Unless they have a hidden agenda.

I posted my thoughts about this in another Windows 8 discussion with a similar question

"Because the tech companies are moving fast these days and Microsoft is ran by imbeciles (like Balmer) who just fail to understand the importance of user experience and style in general. They always had that problem and they still do.

They are also mammoths who move at a snail pace, who always responded to market as a reaction to something new not as a leader of new things.

THis is probably because they have absolutely no idea what they are doing and then watch the market and see what sticks and then they do it themselves because they have huge resources.

Unfortunately for them, this might have worked in the past 20 years because they largely had no competition in the business market as well as platforms in general. But now, the web has become a part of our lives, smartphones and mobile devices have taken the front seat, there is less and less dependency on desktop operating systems and they woke up a few years ago and saw that by the time they respond to these market changes it will be too late.

And the result? Windows Phone 7 which is ok but seriously lacks in functionality and the new Apollo where none of the current WP devices will even support it and Windows 8 which is an abomination of all UI principles in existence.

They could have done this so much better, but Win8 is what happens when the company is ran by suits and people devoid of any passion but one for money."

They could have done this so much better, but Win8 is what happens when the company is ran by suits and people devoid of any passion but one for money."

Couldn't agree more.

:)

I posted my thoughts about this in another Windows 8 discussion with a similar question

"Because the tech companies are moving fast these days and Microsoft is ran by imbeciles (like Balmer) who just fail to understand the importance of user experience and style in general. They always had that problem and they still do.

They are also mammoths who move at a snail pace, who always responded to market as a reaction to something new not as a leader of new things.

THis is probably because they have absolutely no idea what they are doing and then watch the market and see what sticks and then they do it themselves because they have huge resources.

Unfortunately for them, this might have worked in the past 20 years because they largely had no competition in the business market as well as platforms in general. But now, the web has become a part of our lives, smartphones and mobile devices have taken the front seat, there is less and less dependency on desktop operating systems and they woke up a few years ago and saw that by the time they respond to these market changes it will be too late.

And the result? Windows Phone 7 which is ok but seriously lacks in functionality and the new Apollo where none of the current WP devices will even support it and Windows 8 which is an abomination of all UI principles in existence.

I have a feeling that they have misread a lot of the market though. A friend of mine who custom built my desktop PC has a computer shop/store. He reckons he's selling more 'budget boxes' than laptops or tablets. People are buying portable devices but probably for a multitude of reasons. A home computer is more of a necessity than a convenience for many people today, especially for work reasons. MS seem to have lost some business with various hardware manufacturers & I feel that they seriously want to push the Surface tablet. In which case, using one OS for both can be seen as a way of subtly familiarising the new operating system for potential tablet users. I also have a feeling that this Metro hybrid will be discontinued in Windows 9.

I have gotta hand it to MS, they have taken a BIG gamble with this, unfortunately its going to fail, and I mean fail big time. They surely must have hints of that already, with the pricing structure introduced, they know its not gonna sell at the usual prices for a Windows OS, hence the much cheaper costs ;)

I have gotta hand it to MS, they have taken a BIG gamble with this, unfortunately its going to fail, and I mean fail big time. They surely must have hints of that already, with the pricing structure introduced, they know its not gonna sell at the usual prices for a Windows OS, hence the much cheaper costs ;)

I don't think it's going to be as a failure people make it out to be. People still seem stuck in the past when they think we still need big, bulky devices thrown on a desk to be productive, which we don't. This is Microsoft's break out moment. Windows has entered the mobile realm, unhindered by device form factor, as evidenced by the Surface Pro.

I don't think it's going to be as a failure people make it out to be. People still seem stuck in the past when they think we still need big, bulky devices thrown on a desk to be productive, which we don't. This is Microsoft's break out moment. Windows has entered the mobile realm, unhindered by device form factor.

There's more desktop PCs than there are touch-enabled PCs. Oh also, most productivity is done on a PC. Not a touch based device.

It's very fit for tablets and the speed improvements across the board are overall very good. However, I still think the mouse and keyboard experience is not as intuitive as it should be. I'll probably be upgrading and using one or two programs to restore mouse and keyboard productivity.

There's more desktop PCs than there are touch-enabled PCs. Oh also, most productivity is done on a PC. Not a touch based device.

Which Windows 8 is more than able to accompany. However, take a look at what the Surface is doing. Instead of big, clunky machines, the Surface is bringing the power of a desktop into an easy to convert and carry form factor. If I am up and moving, I have a mobile UI to work from, if I am sitting, I have access to a keyboard, mouse and traditional desktop to work from.

I know big, desktop models aren't going to go away, but it's nice to have a unified OS that can play even with all devices.

Oh also, most productivity is done on a PC. Not a touch based device.

(which is probably why the Surface and almost every Windows 8 touch device concept/prototype I've seen has a keyboard, trackpad, and USB port for a mouse)

(which is probably why the Surface and almost every Windows 8 touch device concept/prototype I've seen has a keyboard, trackpad, and USB port for a mouse)

And a video out to get off that craptacular 1366x768 screen

I wouldn't say that I love it, but I like the desktop UI a lot better than Windows 7's. Looking forward to further improvements in that area. :)

Overall, it is unfortunately a somewhat disturbingly schizophrenic OS.

If Windows 8 had the GUI of Windows 7 I would prefer it over 7, Seeing as it doesn't I prefer Fedora,Windows 7 and OSX over it.

You guys have to realize something. Some "casual users" have jobs where they will be using a computer. That computer will probably be on XP if not 7. If a casual user wants a new computer and they get Windows 8, are you really expecting them to learn two completely different UIs (one for work and one for home)? No, they will do what they should and request something they can easily use.

This OS is built for tablets. You cannot deny the fact. If you give somebody a Windows 8 tablet and Windows 8 desktop, I bet you they will know how to work the tablet much faster than the desktop version.

Oh and those saying WinRT is amazing because it can produce games like angry birds. Hmm, did everyone forget the HTML5 version of Angry Birds? http://chrome.angrybirds.com/

I am a very heavy power user/content producer, and Windows 8 makes my life a complete mess. I work in Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Visual Studio to program games, FL Studio and Garageband on OS X, record gameplay footage with Fraps, and so on.

Dot Matrix, do you honestly think those interfaces (Avatar, Iron Man, and Star Trek) will benefit everybody? Um NO. I do not want to have my hand up in the air programming for 40 hours a week (job), or use it with Photoshop, Garageband, FL Studio, Video Production, playing video games, and all of this productive stuff.

Those interfaces you say we are evolving towards are only made for specialized purposes (Starship controls as in Star Trek, virtual 3D modeling as in the Iron Man movies, and health monitoring as in Avatar). You honestly cannot expect programmers or heavy content producers like myself to evolve to an interface like that.

I will stick to mouse and keyboard. And I cannot use those new Surface computers that you said we the next evolution of desktop computing. Why? Did you read my list of stuff I do? I do not want to wait for 5 hours for my video to finish rendering because I no longer have the horsepower needed to speed up the process. I have one of the highest i7 processors, and I have a hexa-core Intel Xeon in my Mac Pro that I actually need all that power for.

Bottom line, I do not think Windows 8 will be a huge success, even for the casual users (read my first few lines to see why I feel that way).

LOL! I'm in the middle of those two pictures. I'll wait until Windows 9 comes to iron out the kinks or if Windows 8 is praised, I'll switch. I'm computer user, and I go with what works. Can it play Skyrim? Yep. #shutupandtakemymoney

I'm pretty sure people who likes Windows 8 are these type:

minimal-windows-7-desktop-590x472.jpg

and those who hate Win8 are these type:

many-icons-cleaning-with-broomstic.png

My notebook has Vista still. My desktop is very much like that picture. I love it. My Win 7 machine is a bit tidier desktop-wise, but I don't find anything wrong with that. I can find everything I need quite easily on either machine.

bull****, If people have lots of icons why would they care about having the apps. I have only a couple of icons on my desktop as I like it clean. I don't like the start menu as it's full of stuff that I just don't care about. I don't want to see the weather on my desktop, I can look outside to see this info. I don't have to have lots of apps to show me info all of the time.

Actually, the latter sshot is more proof who the Win8 audience is. Living in Metro is just like surrounding yourself in a sea of useless icons. Isn't that another reason MS pretty much threw in the towel on the old Start Menu? They gave users an application launcher they refused to learn/use, instead relying on the crutch of I'll just put shortcuts everywhere. So screw it, we'll just combine the Start Menu and Desktop!

The question you have to ask is, does Win8 have the energy to overcome the intertia of bad computing practices that breed of user has clung to for years? Andrea says No. ;)

My current 'hate du jour' is that if you have lots of programs (and hence a messy, uncustomizable All Programs menu) - if you zoom out to find the app group you want, it doesn't highlight it when you click on it, so you still have to relocate it in the sea of icons. Useless!