2012 Nintendo E3 Press Conference

I don't care if they invented it if they're not using it. Hadn't seen that controller before. If that's indeed real, I am pleased!

First of all, Nintendo invented the modern controller, and everyone else has copied and tweaked Nintendo's innovations.

Secondly, here is your "Normal" controller!

promo_2096.jpg

I didn't get to watch the press conference, did they give a more specific release date or is it still "holidays"

ITs still holidays. Nintendo tends to release the big info at a press conference in september

Little disappointed in the battery life as well as the fact that connecting 2 gamepads knocks you down to 30fps but overall it wasn't too bad considering the potential there (hopefully they come out with some longer life batteries or something down the line). I honestly don't sit down to game on my home consoles unless I have at least 2-3 hours to dedicate to playing on them, so I'd definitely be plugging it in while playing which is fairly disappointing. Though the pro controllers do look good, so at least they finally got that right.

That aside I'm more excited for these 3rd party titles like ZombiU than any of the 1st party at this point to be honest. Really liked what I saw from the brief gameplay video but hoping a few things may be optional. I know that having that separate screen can make for tenser moments as you're shifting your eyes back and forth, but I'm hoping that leads to more enjoyment than frustration. When he was aiming the sniper rifle it didn't look like he was using analog sticks at all and wish they'd do something a bit more hybrid where you could use both for some added precision (I understand the point is to point at the right part but I still not a fan of purely that sort of aiming).

Anyone think today is maybe a sign of Nintendo rushing a little to get this device out asap? I've read it's planned for the holidays. I think it could still safely launch in 2013 as I really don't think we'll see the other two launching till 3rd/4th quarter next year or beyond.

If you're going to launch something in like 5 months time, you'd really expect to have being seeing more titles being demoed today, even if they were coming out after launch.

How many games? They said they had 23 during the conference itself that could be played on the floor and more that weren't being shown during the conference. We got two main Nintendo titles and countless 3rd party support.

How many games? They said they had 23 during the conference itself that could be played on the floor and more that weren't being shown during the conference. We got two main Nintendo titles and countless 3rd party support.

Well I don't know about you, but I can count to 21 just fine(though there was more than two first party titles).And unless the titles are being showed off they don't count, especially since that means they're very far off.

As for the conference, it was abotu as exciting and surprising as cleanex announcing they're making tissues. Nothing new or exciting about it, just rehashing what we knew, showing off some safe games, which was bland and boring as well when they should have had enough graphics power to at least look good, even with good old safe gameplay. And some third party games that could just as well have been xbox or ps3 games...

sorry but, least impressive conference so far.

Also, as for the useless tablet controller which only real use is aswireless screen if you for some reason don't want to play on a big screen... There's a reason we have a HUD on the screen. not somewhere over there. Though nice of Nintedo to copy Sega, even if Sega did it better ;)

Sony and Microsoft recycle same ****, they're awful and produce nothing new.

Nintendo recycles same **** and Miyamoto is a demigod and Nintendo have found the cure for cancer.

Jesus christ.

This.

I don't hate Ninty or anything, but if you even think about criticising them you'll be hanged, drawn and quartered.

This.

I don't hate Ninty or anything, but if you even think about criticising them you'll be hanged, drawn and quartered.

Well it's just a matter of looking at the guy who posted the post that was a reply to and it's kind of self explanatory. But yeah that's how it usually works. but it goes both ways as well.

If you're a die hard Mario fan and hate Halo then that's how the conferences are perceived. but from an objective standpoint it sucked pretty bad, and Nintendo showed less new and interesting stuff than MS. But Nintendo will always have a fan crowd that cheers everything they do, even if it's the same thing they announced last year.

Well I don't know about you, but I can count to 21 just fine(though there was more than two first party titles).And unless the titles are being showed off they don't count, especially since that means they're very far off.

As for the conference, it was abotu as exciting and surprising as cleanex announcing they're making tissues. Nothing new or exciting about it, just rehashing what we knew, showing off some safe games, which was bland and boring as well when they should have had enough graphics power to at least look good, even with good old safe gameplay. And some third party games that could just as well have been xbox or ps3 games...

sorry but, least impressive conference so far.

They all were pretty bad. MS had Halo, Nintendo had Pikman and Sony had The Last of Us and beyond those it was very meh. After two years of great endings to E3 MS chose a 3rd party non-exclusive title, Sony at least used The Last of Us. IMO taking out the bad hosts, Ubisoft had the best press conference by far.

I have nothing against Halo, and I loved Gears of War, but it's hard to get excited about another shooter after thats basically what 80% of my 360 library is. CoD (and their clones) are probably the worst at introducing the same gameplay elements in each of their games. I'm just completely burned out on it and need a change of pace.

If you hate Nintendo games, I'm not sure why some of you feel the need to go around to every Nintendo thread saying you hate the games. Yeah, we get it. I used to think I was too old for Nintendo games too, then I realized how stupid that is as long as they are creating fun experiences. If you need to play only the latest and greatest shooter to help yourself feel like a "real gamer" or whatever, then you are playing video games for the wrong reasons and are probably robbing yourself of some great experiences due to it.

• Like 1

Also, as for the useless tablet controller which only real use is aswireless screen if you for some reason don't want to play on a big screen... There's a reason we have a HUD on the screen. not somewhere over there. Though nice of Nintedo to copy Sega, even if Sega did it better ;)

Your fanboy is showing.

There's nothing I hate more than a screen cluttered with an ugly HUD. If some games can remove elements and make the screen less cluttered, I think people will be more immersed. Only having to look at the WiiU Pad for Maps/inventory or other things in which you may have previously needed to pause the game for.

Your fanboy is showing.

There's nothing I hate more than a screen cluttered with an ugly HUD. If some games can remove elements and make the screen less cluttered, I think people will be more immersed. Only having to look at the WiiU Pad for Maps/inventory or other things in which you may have previously needed to pause the game for.

.... WHAT...

I'm a fanboy because in my FPS games, where anything can happen at any split second, I don't want to take my eyes of the screen to check important game information ? you need to stop throwing the fanboy word around unless you're going to use it about yourself. and have a loot at your own post history to see why you might consider that you're using the word on the wrong persons.

As for inventory. yeah, it's awesome when you look down at yoru controller, totally breaking immersion, and suspension of disbelief by the way, to check and manage your inventory when some monster comes around and starts hammering away at you. oh yeah and you can't just hit back either since you currently don't have a weapon in hand since you're moving stuff around. Yeah, much better option than a big ass full screen inventory ON the same screen, it's not like you can use it for anything else when not looking at the screen anyway, and pausing while in inventory.

If you're going to call people fanboys, at least find a valid argument, and not something ridiculous that most sane players agree is not inly disruptive to gameplay but totally breaks immersion. And if I absolutely wanted to manage my inventory on such a screen, I'd want a capacitive screen and not some resistive thing needing a pen or violence to use.

.... WHAT...

I'm a fanboy because in my FPS games, where anything can happen at any split second, I don't want to take my eyes of the screen to check important game information ? you need to stop throwing the fanboy word around unless you're going to use it about yourself. and have a loot at your own post history to see why you might consider that you're using the word on the wrong persons.

As for inventory. yeah, it's awesome when you look down at yoru controller, totally breaking immersion, and suspension of disbelief by the way, to check and manage your inventory when some monster comes around and starts hammering away at you. oh yeah and you can't just hit back either since you currently don't have a weapon in hand since you're moving stuff around. Yeah, much better option than a big ass full screen inventory ON the same screen, it's not like you can use it for anything else when not looking at the screen anyway, and pausing while in inventory.

If you're going to call people fanboys, at least find a valid argument, and not something ridiculous that most sane players agree is not inly disruptive to gameplay but totally breaks immersion. And if I absolutely wanted to manage my inventory on such a screen, I'd want a capacitive screen and not some resistive thing needing a pen or violence to use.

Says the one who can say nothing but ridiculous things about something they've never used/seen/or will ever use in the future.

Which FPS can "anything happen in a split second" are you playing? Because I would love to know of this new and unreleased game.

If you're talking about Multiplayer, then why would you take your eyes off the screen? Do you take them off the screen when playing on Xbox or PS3?

Also:

https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo

E3 is a marathon, not a sprint. So we?re kicking off a marathon of game content! Starting right now, we?ll be delivering info about a new game every hour for the next 26.2 hours. Can you keep up? Don?t get left in the dust!

I'm really hoping it's 26 new games. That could be interesting.

why would i never buy it? i plan on buying the wii u, at least if its wii backwards compatible and if its fairly cheap, mostly just for classic mario and zelda games.

and im talking single player games to, not just multiplayer. and no i don't take them off the screen on my xbox, becaus it doesnt require me to use a silly tablet pad to see the motion detector, or inventory or weapon select or map or other important ui elements.

and ANY fps. enemies can pop up on you at any second on pretty much any fps.

The game looks good but I like to use the wiimote for shooting. Blame Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and being a PC FPS user. I could never get into console FPS games and I dont stand a chance on an online console FPS but if this is not as crazy as Left 4 Dead then I can adjust. I dont think there will be a Wiimote + gamepad option because two controllers for a single player game is too much so the only other option is having all the gamepad stuff on the TV and you use the Wiimote.

It is really cool to see them fully announce the ability to purchase 1st party games digitally.

Really wish Microsoft would start offering more Games on Demand titles. It'd be nice to have day-and-date releases for first-party titles, too. Sony does a lot of PS3 downloadables on PSN, and now it seems even Nintendo will surpass Microsoft, which I don't think anyone expected.

why would i never buy it? i plan on buying the wii u, at least if its wii backwards compatible and if its fairly cheap, mostly just for classic mario and zelda games.

and im talking single player games to, not just multiplayer. and no i don't take them off the screen on my xbox, becaus it doesnt require me to use a silly tablet pad to see the motion detector, or inventory or weapon select or map or other important ui elements.

and ANY fps. enemies can pop up on you at any second on pretty much any fps.

Seen the movies? That motion tracker isn't sitting on their visor. They have to look down at the device and not at their environment, which is imo way better immersion then having it on the main screen. That's why Randy was so excited about the feature, they could pull something straight from the film that normally could not be done.

Seen the movies? That motion tracker isn't sitting on their visor. They have to look down at the device and not at their environment, which is imo way better immersion then having it on the main screen. That's why Randy was so excited about the feature, they could pull something straight from the film that normally could not be done.

True. in the movie it's not. BUT. in the movie they are not looking at their world through a 32-50 inch square, and looking outside this to look at their motion trackers. they're still in the world. If you want full immersion in that, you do what they always did before, assign the motion tracker to a button that either brings it up in your view while putting away yoru gun, or make you glance down at it.

putting it outside the gameworld on another device is just plain stupid. and breaks immersion, it does not add immersion since you have to go outside the gameworld.

• Like 1

True. in the movie it's not. BUT. in the movie they are not looking at their world through a 32-50 inch square, and looking outside this to look at their motion trackers. they're still in the world. If you want full immersion in that, you do what they always did before, assign the motion tracker to a button that either brings it up in your view while putting away yoru gun, or make you glance down at it.

putting it outside the gameworld on another device is just plain stupid. and breaks immersion, it does not add immersion since you have to go outside the gameworld.

I don't know about that - Zombi U definitely demonstrates a good job at adding immersion by making you shuffle through your back-pack using a touch screen, or entering in a keycode on a touch screen while a bunch of zombies are chasing you. It's a bit more realistic then twitching your thumbs to move an analogue stick around.

The thing I like about the tablet is that most real-life games are based on hiding knowledge from the other players. Think every card game, many board games (any strategic ones, anyway), most sports (what pitch will he throw, what play will they run). This is very hard to do on a console with multiple people playing, you see it in fighting games where the input is obscured, but with the tablet I think there will be tons of multiplayer games where someone controls the game while the others play. Think, old school Duck Hunt.

So, more than just a separate inventory system, I'm excited to see what people can do with the tablet that is intentionally obscured from the screen. Some Dreamcast games tried this, but the VMUs were... lacking in display power, to say the least.