2012 Nintendo E3 Press Conference

I don't know about that - Zombi U definitely demonstrates a good job at adding immersion by making you shuffle through your back-pack using a touch screen, or entering in a keycode on a touch screen while a bunch of zombies are chasing you. It's a bit more realistic then twitching your thumbs to move an analogue stick around.

sort of better, BUT it still breaks you out of the game to do it, AND resistive screen.

sort of better, BUT it still breaks you out of the game to do it, AND resistive screen.

No you are not took out of the game at all as well just as in real life if you was in that situation you have to stop take your backpack from behind you and look through for more ammo or something else . also this provides more Tension or Fear because your busy focusing on this and ya look back up at the screen OH **** a Zombie what do you do.

So it provides more immersion did you even watch the Developer video on it omg. it provides pure immersion but at the same time it frees up the big screen for other stuff liek oh how about no hud as an option as they pointed out you can take the UI stuff away . so i dont see how you feel it takes you away from the game also to point out 99.8% of the time in other games when ya need something from your inventory the game is paused while ya look for what ya need here it is not as things are all in motion while your looking through your junk on the gamepad.

Survival Horror is what the game is and well they did a good job at it From what i been hearing on other forums is the version of Zombie U we saw was from an earlier Development kit so everyone is assuming

No you are not took out of the game at all as well just as in real life if you was in that situation you have to stop take your backpack from behind you and look through for more ammo or something else . also this provides more Tension or Fear because your busy focusing on this and ya look back up at the screen OH **** a Zombie what do you do.

so when im in the middle of a battlefield in real life and i decide to check my backpack, suddenly i'm in my living room and when i put my backpack on, I'm suddenly in the middle of the battlefield again.

sorry but thats bs, as soon as you have to look away from the screen to look onanother screen, you break immersion, you're taken out of the game.

and no it doesnt add fear or tension, just annoyance, you get the same with an on screen inventory that doesnt break immersion. and in real life when I'm checking my backpack, i can still see zombies coming.

so when im in the middle of a battlefield in real life and i decide to check my backpack, suddenly i'm in my living room and when i put my backpack on, I'm suddenly in the middle of the battlefield again.

sorry but thats bs, as soon as you have to look away from the screen to look onanother screen, you break immersion, you're taken out of the game.

and no it doesnt add fear or tension, just annoyance, you get the same with an on screen inventory that doesnt break immersion. and in real life when I'm checking my backpack, i can still see zombies coming.

annoyance to you i guess cause to me and i am sure many other gamer it adds depth because

As the Developer states in the Developer video to the IGN guy on what he is doing she says he is searching through his Pack on the GP all in real time so he is not out of danger so he could get attacked at any moment .

annoyance to you i guess cause to me and i am sure many other gamer it adds depth because

As the Developer states in the Developer video to the IGN guy on what he is doing she says he is searching through his Pack on the GP all in real time so he is not out of danger so he could get attacked at any moment .

And you can do exactly the same, without being bumped out of the game. you can do the exact same thing on the screen. Going throught he backpack on screen doesn't need to pause the game. if I don't remember wrong, skyrim works this way. that or some other PC RPG. and most action games do.

Making you still be in danger while searching the backpack, but without dumping you out of the game world to search it.

And you can do exactly the same, without being bumped out of the game. you can do the exact same thing on the screen. Going throught he backpack on screen doesn't need to pause the game. if I don't remember wrong, skyrim works this way. that or some other PC RPG. and most action games do.

Making you still be in danger while searching the backpack, but without dumping you out of the game world to search it.

ok a good example is the resident evil games the menu system overlays on the screen when need to do something and you cant see much if anything else on the screen when this happens but the game is still running in real-time so you cant see if a zombie you might hear is to close to you are farther away. with the Gamepad you can see everything on the big screen you just have to take the risk at looking back and fourth from the GP to the big screen not knowing if your luck has run out.

Agian you are still in the gameworld in the same spot you just bend down to look in your pack or so and everything is still happening on the big screen your just nealed down to find something or grab another weapon or so.

S Explain to me an other how this takes you out of your game or the game i mean it is not like the Wii U GP is placed on the Floor or something and ya have to look straight down at your floor.

ok a good example is the resident evil games the menu system overlays on the screen when need to do something and you cant see much if anything else on the screen when this happens but the game is still running in real-time so you cant see if a zombie you might hear is to close to you are farther away. with the Gamepad you can see everything on the big screen you just have to take the risk at looking back and fourth from the GP to the big screen not knowing if your luck has run out.

Agian you are still in the gameworld in the same spot you just bend down to look in your pack or so and everything is still happening on the big screen your just nealed down to find something or grab another weapon or so.

S Explain to me an other how this takes you out of your game or the game i mean it is not like the Wii U GP is placed on the Floor or something and ya have to look straight down at your floor.

Oh, so you have magic eyes that can look at two screens at once ? ... or may be you want to awkardly hold up your pad controller in front of the screen,s, which of course will block the screen due to perspective in additions to being akward and wearing out your hands.

Sure you can hold it so you see the screen out the corner of yoru eye, sort of. you still have to be taken out of the gameworld to use it, which is stupid and breaks immersion.

a semi transparent backpack that doesn't take the full screen is an infinitely better design and solution.

As soon as your eyes and focus leaves the big screen and you're no longer focused on it, it break immersion and drops you out of the gameworld. Suspension of disbelief goes poof. You're out of the scary hallways and in your living room with a windows on the wall showing a moving picture of the no longer that scary hallways with zombies.

some text taken form an IGN impressions on the game or so

http://www.ign.com/a...survival-horror

f having to look up and down between the screen in your hands and the screen on your TV seems a bit awkward, well, it is ? but it works, because it creates tension. If you?re looking through the loot on someone?s corpse, you?re focussed on the screen in your hands, leaving yourself exposed to attack. It means that you?re constantly flicking your gaze upwards fearfully whilst you rifle through someone's pockets or your own backpack, like you would look over your shoulder if you were doing so in real life. You're pressured to do things as fast as possible in case something creeps up behind you and you don't have your hands on your gun.

ZombiU is the standout title on Wii U at the moment. It's tense, innovative and genuinely scary, using the touchscreen controller to build tension and force you to think differently as well as expedite control.

When you're looting, your inventory pops up on the Wii U controller, letting you rearrange items by tapping and dragging. You can't carry much, so it's important to prioritise.

ZombiU is effective because it doesn't overdo the scares. You don't actually come across zombies all that often, so when you do it's bloody terrifying. You're constantly stopping, scanning, checking your inventory, reloading, holding your breath when you walk into a new room

f having to look up and down between the screen in your hands and the screen on your TV seems a bit awkward, well, it is ? but it works, because it creates tension. If you?re looking through the loot on someone?s corpse, you?re focussed on the screen in your hands, leaving yourself exposed to attack. It means that you?re constantly flicking your gaze upwards fearfully whilst you rifle through someone's pockets or your own backpack, like you would look over your shoulder if you were doing so in real life. You're pressured to do things as fast as possible in case something creeps up behind you and you don't have your hands on your gun.

So circular argumentation, going back to where we where 3 posts ago.

again. an on screen inventory screen, that's semi trasnparent with delays before and after activation as ou open and put away the backpack, adds at least as much tension if not more, and does not break immersion.

the pad controller solution is awkward, badly designed and doesn't work as good. especially since it uses a resistive screen on top of all the other negatives.

again. an on screen inventory screen, that's semi trasnparent with delays before and after activation as ou open and put away the backpack, adds at least as much tension if not more, and does not break immersion.

the pad controller solution is awkward, badly designed and doesn't work as good. especially since it uses a resistive screen on top of all the other negatives.

We know, you hate it. Get over it. It's not going anywhere.

Just because YOU think it's not going to immerse you any more into a game. There are thousands upon millions who will be.

I know of very few games that allow you to do what you suggest, in searching your inventory without pausing the game. That is immersion breaking.

This is more immersive. I hate a cluttery UI on screen. That's not like real life at all. I don't see a health bar in front of my face.

Badly designed... in your opinion. A second screen has worked quite nicely for hte DS and the 3DS. And it'll work quite nicely for the Wii U too, even if it just makes switching things quicker or viewing options without having to pause or things like that.

ZombiU is the standout title on Wii U at the moment. It's tense, innovative and genuinely scary, using the touchscreen controller to build tension and force you to think differently as well as expedite control.

When you're looting, your inventory pops up on the Wii U controller, letting you rearrange items by tapping and dragging. You can't carry much, so it's important to prioritise.

ZombiU is effective because it doesn't overdo the scares. You don't actually come across zombies all that often, so when you do it's bloody terrifying. You're constantly stopping, scanning, checking your inventory, reloading, holding your breath when you walk into a new room

Sadly, that's about all that stood out for me with the Wii U too. And then I watched the other press conferences that actually had games that appealed to me, not because of a controller, but because of how it was put together in itself. Coming back to look at ZombieU afterwards, I was rather saddened that ZombieU was all I could find interest in. Hell, Nintendo even brought up the next Paper Mario, but the guy talking about it sounded so unenthusiastic that I lost interest in listening to him. :/

I think Ubisoft will have a bright future ahead of it though (after seeing everything they plan to put out), especially seeing as they gave a better demo of the Wii U's new controller than Nintendo did themselves too. Usually Nintendo is the one that outshines the third-parties.

As for the WiiU: I'm just not sold on it. There are some places it can be useful, but I don't know if that's enough to warrant buying a whole new console, especially if the Wii U is going to be left behind on the list of games that come out across all three platforms once again anyway. Many of us aren't asking for much, except for Nintendo to keep up so that we can have more developers releasing to their console as well. I don't see why some folks have to bitch each other out for wanting Nintendo to actually keep up...

I have some doubts on the Wii-U concept, but I am excited about being able to play a Zelda where I don't have to pause and wait for the menu to load to change my currently held items multiple times a minute. :) Although the Wii Zeldas weren't as bad as previous consoles, there were still frequent immersion breakers.

Badly designed... in your opinion. A second screen has worked quite nicely for hte DS and the 3DS. And it'll work quite nicely for the Wii U too, even if it just makes switching things quicker or viewing options without having to pause or things like that.

Bad example. the DS is so small, that you will see both screen at all time anyway.

Bad example. the DS is so small, that you will see both screen at all time anyway.

Not a bad example - it's still impossible to focus on both at once. If you want to actually use the other you have to focus on it - same here.

not entirely, and the field of view is still completely different, and the ds was never created for full immersion anyway, you can't get "i to" a tiny hand held screen as you can on a big screen game. they're also different games where immersion isn't necessarily an issue. Mario and gears of war for example don't use the same immersion, only one of them has a game world you truly immerse yourself into, sure ou get immersed in Mario as well, but differently.

personally I'm 95% sure I'll buy a Wii U, but the games i'll play on it will be Mario and some Zelda. hardcore games i'll avoid the pad as much as possible. if i have to use the pad for the motion tracker on aliens, i will get the game on my xbox or pc instead where they have it on screen like it should be(look at the ameplay videos of the game) which works a lot better than on a outside screen. hopefully they're smart enough to let you choose if you want the gimmicky immesion breaking tracker or the same proper tracker that my character actually holds in his hands.

In most well designed games you don't need to spend much time if any time in your inventory during high impact moments anyway.

I can see a lot of "we designed the game like this to get you to use the screen on the controller" type moments.

That article on cracked is also very true IMO.