iOS 6 Beta 10A5316k apparently leaked before event, support for iPad 1 gone

iOS 6 Beta 10A5316k Reportedly Leaked Ahead Of Tomorrow?s Announcement, Support For iPad 1 Dropped

ios6.jpg

Well, these links do present an interesting piece of information: with iOS 6 ? as with any other major new iOS release ? Apple will drop support for last oldest generation of iOS devices. With iOS 5, support for iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G was dropped and now, with iOS 6, the original iPad and iPod touch 3G will not be supported.

The main reason for dropping support is because of the lack of horsepower that these devices have; this was understandable with iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G which had rather low-end processors, but this time they are dropping support for the original iPad as well as iPod touch 3G which has specs similar to the iPhone 3GS. Both the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 will be supported with iOS 6, probably because some models are still on sale at Apple retail stores.

Supported devices include: iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G, and iPhone 3GS.

Source: Redmond Pie

Could very well be that the iPhone 3GS won't get all features. In that case Apple might as well give the original iPad the same treatment instead of leaving it out altogether.

Could very well be that the iPhone 3GS won't get all features. However in that case they might as well update the the original iPad with a similar update.

This does seem likely, I'm happy with the new OS and missing features and would prefer that over no new OS at all. :)

I surprised they are allowing it to be installed on 3GS at all to be honest so thats a bonus.

If iPad 1 support was dropped, then why not iPhone 3GS? The iPad 1 has a faster processor? :s

They really don't like original ipad owners....first iOS5 didn't enable multitouch gestures for the device on the initial release and now we are being left behind. While i understand the 256mb of RAM is the main problem they should have slimmed the build down and maybe not enabled certain features so that apps at least won't complain in the future

My iPad 1 and my HTC Android are both from 2010 and support for my iPad is being dropped first, oh the irony -.-

It's all about money, money before customer satisfaction.

They really don't like original ipad owners....first iOS5 didn't enable multitouch gestures for the device on the initial release and now we are being left behind. While i understand the 256mb of RAM is the main problem they should have slimmed the build down and maybe not enabled certain features so that apps at least won't complain in the future

My iPod Touch 4G has the same CPU (and RAM) as the first iPad and it's not being left behind, presumably because it's still being sold. So I don't think horsepower is the whole story.

Guys, remember that although the iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS probably share the same RAM and CPU, the iPad requires more memory because of the larger display (larger images, larger icons...), may be this is why it's not supported.

Glad my iPad2 is safe for now. Sheesh.

The iPad 2 would be safe still, since it's in the same age range as the iPhone 4.

It's all about money, money before customer satisfaction.

The original iPad has seen updates for over 2 years with 2 significant version updates. If you want the latest features, you pay for them. While I'm not disagreeing with what you said, it's not like any device that won't be eligible for iOS 6 will stop functioning.

Has it really been leaked, or has someone just discovered some links on the Apple dev site for it?

The latter.

Thought so. The thread title is a bit OTT then isn't it. It should be more like 'Evidence of iOS 6 Beta 10A5316k found' or something along those lines. Or is it just me being dramatic?

However, I am excited to see what new things iOS 6 will bring.

Original Ipad is not being sold other then though refurbished or left overstock so my guess is they drop support for devices that are not being sold any more

Guys, remember that although the iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS probably share the same RAM and CPU, the iPad requires more memory because of the larger display (larger images, larger icons...), may be this is why it's not supported.

It's not like that's going to make a huge difference.

Even if there were a Leak, you still have to Register your IOS Test Device with the Apple Developer Portal (using your Paid Apple IOS Developer Account Apple ID, you know, the one you used to sign your NDA Agreement with Apple, the one you used to verify that you are NOT on the U.S.A. Terrorism Watch List, and the one you used to sign the Agreement saying that only you and your Authorized Employees for your Corporation will use the Beta for Testing Purposes Only) using XCode (New Registraion Requirement) or else you will NOT be able to install the softwware because ITunes will give you an error message saying that your Device is NOT Registered with the Apple Developer Program! Just a BIG FYI!