MacBook Pro with Retina display announced

From an IT perspective, not having Ethernet defeats the purpose of using the Laptop as a standalone workstation on a company network since most places won't use the Wireless system due to security (Yes, you can lock it down and make sure it is tightly secured, but there are certain areas where regulation in security takes over). Sure, you can buy an adapter for the Ethernet and add this function, but then you have the issue of loss of said adapter.

With all of this said, I think though that most places will not buy this if that is concern and go with another brand, or model.

If companies need built in ethernet ports and optical drives they can just buy the non-retina MacBook Pro. Apple updated the old design with newer Ivy Bridge processors. These Retina Display models are just for people who are working past legacy interfaces. Like me, I've not used Optical Media or the Ethernet Port on my MBP so a Retina MacBook Pro would be perfect for me, thinner, lighter and without the stuff I don't need.

• Like 2

I was seriously considering purchasing a new MacBook Pro with Retinea Displsy until I discovered the RAM and SSD are soldered to the logic board. Justifying $2,500 for a non user-serviceable notebook is very difficult, it's effectively a disposable product.

Anyone else ****ed about that?

I can live without Ethernet, FireWire and the Optical Drive -- particularly because an adapter can get this functionality back if necessary.

I was seriously considering purchasing a new MacBook Pro with Retinea Displsy until I discovered the RAM and SSD are soldered to the logic board. Justifying $2,500 for a non user-serviceable notebook is very difficult, it's effectively a disposable product.

Anyone else ****ed about that?

I can live without Ethernet, FireWire and the Optical Drive -- particularly because an adapter can get this functionality back if necessary.

The RAM is soldered, the SSD is not. The SSD is on a removable stick which is locked in place by a single screw making it user serviceable. Pretty much everything else is not serviceable user however. If you were to get one I'd recommend maxing out the RAM and going for a small SSD Stick then you can upgrade the SSD yourself later.

Still can't find it in stock locally :(

Well actually I lied, the local Apple Store has them....but the only ones left are the ones with FRENCH keyboards :x

The RAM is soldered, the SSD is not. The SSD is on a removable stick which is locked in place by a single screw making it user serviceable. Pretty much everything else is not serviceable user however. If you were to get one I'd recommend maxing out the RAM and going for a small SSD Stick then you can upgrade the SSD yourself later.

You're right, but I still don't like the idea of proprietary SSD over a SATA3 SSD.

Not sure why people are complaining about the lack of the ethernet port. If you can afford the cost of the laptop itself and need ethernet, then I'm pretty sure you can afford another $29. I can't say I've ever used that port on my laptop in the 4 years I've had it. And I'm sure most people are the same way.

People will complain about anything.

Guys, I want to get a new iPhone but there's no Ethernet port, and I can't plug my land line into it, and the RAM and battery aren't user replaceable. Apple is full of jerks who know nothing about nothing! :angry:

Guys, I want to get a new iPhone but there's no Ethernet port, and I can't plug my land line into it, and the RAM and battery aren't user replaceable. Apple is full of jerks who know nothing about nothing! :angry:

:huh:

• Like 1

If you were to get one I'd recommend maxing out the RAM and going for a small SSD Stick then you can upgrade the SSD yourself later.

I just went with the 8GB. While +$180 for 16GB wasn't that much, 8GB is plenty of RAM and the system can page in and out from the SSD very quickly. I had 16GB in my iMac at one point and never even came close to filling it up. Even 10GB has been overkill.

I just went with the 8GB. While +$180 for 16GB wasn't that much, 8GB is plenty of RAM and the system can page in and out from the SSD very quickly. I had 16GB in my iMac at one point and never even came close to filling it up. Even 10GB has been overkill.

Although I agree with you that 8GB is plenty. I'd still get the 16GB because although my usage on my laptop wouldn't need much more than 8GB (I run my VM's on my server that I remote in to) my usage in 2-3 years from now may dictate more memory and it's a part that I can't upgrade myself so I'd want to get the max I can right out off the bat. But that's me. I could see myself upgrading the SSD myself later on though so I'd probably get the smallest SSD. In-fact I think I'd go for the base model Retina Pro, bump to 16GB and leave the rest stock.

Anyone who doesn't need wifi presumably hasn't shared much data on a regular basis,but I agree for most users ethernet really isn't a need. However I'm frustrated it can take a minute to update files over ethernet - wifi wouldn't even be worth trying, and working across 2 machines on a daily basis leaves Ethernet for the time being a definite must.

Although I agree with you that 8GB is plenty. I'd still get the 16GB because although my usage on my laptop wouldn't need much more than 8GB (I run my VM's on my server that I remote in to) my usage in 2-3 years from now may dictate more memory and it's a part that I can't upgrade myself so I'd want to get the max I can right out off the bat. But that's me. I could see myself upgrading the SSD myself later on though so I'd probably get the smallest SSD. In-fact I think I'd go for the base model Retina Pro, bump to 16GB and leave the rest stock.

Fair point. Yea, I just went full baseline. I figured if I for some reason needed extra HD space (which I don't think I will), I could get something from OWC a few years down the road.

I install Windows from a second hard drive. I could barely need a DVD. And I can use my phone as a WiFi hotspot, who needs ethernet.

We all can find solutions in our own ways, lets just accept the compromise and stick to the main jump in the new line of Macbooks. Retina. :)

I install Windows from a second hard drive.

Same here. Most machines will let me install OS's from thumb drives, so I can just keep one reusable thumb drive with me rather than burn a bunch of DVDs.

I love the "future obsolete tech removal" comments..... heck lets just remove the keyboard in the next revision too.... who needs a keyboard anymore everyone touchscreen types now right?...... :shiftyninja:

I love the "future obsolete tech removal" comments..... heck lets just remove the keyboard in the next revision too.... who needs a keyboard anymore everyone touchscreen types now right?...... :shiftyninja:

Ethernet (on a laptop): Fairly useless to the majority of people + there's a cheap adapter if you REALLY need it

Firewire: It's been dead for a long time

Optical audio out: While it was a great feature I'm willing to bet it was used by less than 5% of owners (I never used it)

Optical Discs: They're dying lets face it! Consoles are moving to downloadable content, movies are too and music has been for a long time. Want to transfer files? Use a usb hard drive or stick

Any other port?

Ethernet (on a laptop): Fairly useless to the majority of people + there's a cheap adapter if you REALLY need it

Firewire: It's been dead for a long time

Optical audio out: While it was a great feature I'm willing to bet it was used by less than 5% of owners (I never used it)

Optical Discs: They're dying lets face it! Consoles are moving to downloadable content, movies are too and music has been for a long time. Want to transfer files? Use a usb hard drive or stick

Any other port?

power port! everyone should charge over USB3! DUH!!!! :rofl:

I have a Thunderbolt display, so when I get my Retina MBP, I will have that plugged in, and the Ethernet is all plumbed in there ... so is my Firewire for my Focusrite audio device. So I'm not worried. The only thing ... Logic Studio 9 ... comes on the DVD's. So I'd need to plump down the extra cash on a Superdrive. But hey ... for the device to be as thin as it is, it is completely acceptable. I'm also loving digital distribution too and eventually, my 95% of apps purchased on the Mac App Store will become 100% :)

There's optical out?! lol ... never used it.

How can they even put a Pro badge on this with a straight face?

Thanks for the link to that Engadget article, ridiculous. How exactly are you going to replace that proprietary storage again Vice?

How exactly are you going to replace that proprietary storage again Vice?

There are retailers that specialize in creating alternative third-party hardware for certain Macs. OWC is probably the most well-known.

How can they even put a Pro badge on this with a straight face?

Thanks for the link to that Engadget article, ridiculous. How exactly are you going to replace that proprietary storage again Vice?

There are companies that produce aftermarket SSD's for these Macs. They did it for the MacBook Air when Apple introduced the SSD stick with that product and these same companies have already announced that they will support the new MacBook Pro within short order.

When I said I'd replace the SSD I wasn't talking about shoehorning a 2.5" SSD in there I meant I'd get one of the after market sticks that will be available soon.