MacBook Pro with Retina display announced

But your use case does not represent all. There are plenty scenarios where not only is Ethernet needed, but it is the only option.

Though I agree, if a laptop has no Ethernet port, then don't buy it. That is why I'm not buying the rMBP.

Wireless, the future? tell me how you transfer at more than 6 mb of speed...

But your use case does not represent all. There are plenty scenarios where not only is Ethernet needed, but it is the only option.

If you really come across situations like that often then just buy the adapter (it's cheap)

If you really come across situations like that often then just buy the adapter (it's cheap)

I don't really understand why the same thing needs to be said over and over again.

I don't really understand why the same thing needs to be said over and over again.

because people love to moan, everyone wants an optical driveless / thin macbook pro.. we get one and it's not good enough, they could have put an ethernet port on there, made it thicker then everyone would have complained it wasn't thin enough.

They haven't left ethernet for the fun of it, it was a necessary step because the port is too big for a thin laptop, if we are going to advance then compromises have to be made, ethernet is not going to get any thinner nor is it going to go away, so it's either ditch it or stick with what we have.

I understand, and because of that I did not buy the rMBP. I'm not saying it should have the Ethernet port, I'm just saying its not a computer built for those environments.

Mind buying it for me then?

because people love to moan, everyone wants an optical driveless / thin macbook pro.. we get one and it's not good enough, they could have put an ethernet port on there, made it thicker then everyone would have complained it wasn't thin enough.

They haven't left ethernet for the fun of it, it was a necessary step because the port is too big for a thin laptop, if we are going to advance then compromises have to be made, ethernet is not going to get any thinner nor is it going to go away, so it's either ditch it or stick with what we have.

Heck, I would say the MBP is already thin enough. If I wanted something thinner, the MBA was there.

If Apple had discontinued the traditional MBP models for the new one, then I would have a problem. But since the options exist, I'm fine with it. Though it would be nice to have the Retina display on the "thicker" MBP's, that would be killer.

How many of you are buying the Ethernet adaptor?

Since our network is wired only, if I bought one of these I'd have little choice