Microsoft, THIS is what Metro UI on Desktop Should Look Like! Community

Well, Microsoft, from what we have seen so far, almost no one is happy with what you are doing with the desktop. It's not that we don't want a clean metro UI on the desktop, it's that you are making the desktop look ugly not clean! Metro can look beautiful on the desktop if you put just a little effort into it; here are some concept arts of how metro can make the desktop look stunningly beautiful. The best part of this is that the changes are subtle; yet, the result is magnificent. Please, Microsoft, make the desktop look like this!

Windows Explorer

Windows%20Explorer.jpg

By Zain Adeel

Author Comments: I made a mockup of where MS could go with this. Here the blue is the accent color of Aero (it could be any color, preferably mid intensity one). This accent color will control the accent on the icons aswell. This way they can create a massively customizable UI and one which is harmonious. The window not selected will become greyscale so it can be the biggest indicator and we wont need darker shadows or even borders.

Windows Explorer with Ribbon minimized

ribbon%20minimized.jpg

By Zain Adeel

Author Comments: Actually.. The mockup I created is exactly how the UI is in the new office preview minus my own made icons for the ribbon. somebody asked for a ribbon minimized look here it is.

Control Panel

Control%20Panel.png

By "floppydoodle" from Winunleaked.info

Author Comments: I would love it if it looked like this

Wow! That is so much better than the Metro UI Microsoft is doing.Well done.

Anything would be an improvement over what MS has shown so far. Unfortunatley, given past release history, the UI isn't going to change that radically.

My only complaint is the lack of consistency between capital letters. Some labels are ALL CAPS (not good for readability), some have no caps, and others have partial caps.

Other than that that looks great. Though third party themers tend to make better themes than Microsoft all the time.

I actually think the windows look strange with no border padding. It's fine in OS X, but for some reason I just can't envision Windows with borderless windows.

Much better than the current UI. I wish they would hire some of the talent that is found here on Neowin.

Actually that makes a lot of sense. I guess Microsoft would go that way eventually. What they are missing is an actual Metro icon set .

If you look at the new Metro designs for other Desktop products ie: Office/OWA/VS/Zune you may find that they actually look MUCH better . Surely Microsoft with its Metro expertise is not blind to see the problem in their flagship product when all the other products look awesome.

So, if you can do better, get LFS and make an OS and put your ideas into reality instead of just mockups. Doesn't have to be Windows-based - since Linux is free and a perfect candidate for a foundation to start working with - so stop offering opinions (not that they aren't welcome, of course) and get to it.

Basically, put up or shut up. ;)

This is a concept for what they want on windows 8, broadband.... LOL.

Let's just hope they change the ribbon icons, I think some of the concept details can be done by changing the .msstyles files and other tweaks.