Microsoft, THIS is what Metro UI on Desktop Should Look Like! Community

The main visual difference appears to be the minimal-borders. But Microsoft won't go chubby-border free, as then users won't know where the window-borders are, or something.

How thick do MS think their users are?! Presumably Mac users are all stuck with windows at their default arbitrary size? (I.e. WTF are MS getting their telemetry?).

It's a superior design, but pic 3 shows drop-shadows are still cool. I won't use Windows 8 if they've completely disabled them, and I'm not running YZShadow etc. ALLCAPS are bad.

Typical Zain! . . . Creating very beautiful-looking designs, while keeping the clean and simple philosophy of Metro :) Those mock-ups look stunning, mate. Please keep up the great work!

It lacks contrast/definition and focus with too many bold, less-important attention-thieves standing out. It's also inconsistent, lack of art direction. It's not a bad effort, but it isn't usable.

The mock up look great but Windows 8 will never see my machine. If I had a tablet or a smartphone maybe but I am tired of shelling out money for a product that I do not need nor want. Windows 7 is and always will be on my machine. I would move to Linux before 8.

I've read a while back here on Neowin (I thought during the Windows 7 betas) that there are no dedicated graphics designers on the Windows team . Not sure if it's actually true though, but I do know both the Windows XP and Windows Vista system icons have been designed by a third-party. It would explain a thing or two.

It's too white. Far too white. That's a pretty big problem for people with decent monitors, as white is overpowering when used in such liberal doses and causes issues with eyestrain. It should at least be off-white.

• Like 2

It's too white. Far too white. That's a pretty big problem for people with decent monitors, as white is overpowering when used in such liberal doses and causes issues with eyestrain. It should at least be off-white.

That's my number one issue with Metro and OS X' full-screen. My room turns into 1945's Hiroshima if I let apps fill the entire 27-inch workspace. Big difference being of course that Apple doesn't force you to use full-screen.

People that talk about the icons needing to be changed, they're doing it, we'll see more as we get closer to RTM. We don't know how new or old that build is at this point. Sure it's post-RP but the RP has been out for a bit already.

That's my number one issue with Metro and OS X' full-screen. My room turns into 1945's Hiroshima if I let apps fill the entire 27-inch workspace. Big difference being of course that Apple doesn't force you to use full-screen.

Metro is 10x worse, the first time you open the Mail app it's like going to the eye doctor. At least many of the full-screen worthy apps in OSX are primarily black.

That looks amazing i must admit. I really hope we might see some custom skins like that in the future for Windows 8. A bit like the transformation backs for Windows XP back in the day.

You lot do realise that you're generally not supposed to run your screen at 100% brightness, right? I mean, sure, if you're in a bright environment, you need to crank up the brightness. If you're in your bedroom with the lights off, you don't need it that bright!

It's all about ambient light and compensating for what your eyes are used to in your computers environment.

I have my monitor set to 50% brightness most the time, for one, it has a more papery look which is good for photo editing but the dynamic range on my particular monitor is more accurate at this level which I expect to be true over a whole range of displays.

Question: Is it possible to turn the 'proof of concept' into an installable theme later on? Honestly, if it could be turned into an official installable theme and I was running Windows 8 I'd be happy to pay you for the theme.

The first two concepts don't look bad but I don't like that all icons are blue. I like the Control Panel concept better. Looks clean, simple, modern and colorful. Sadly, I do not think Microsoft will get rid of window borders. The title bar being the only thing that is blue looks better than having a whole blue border around the window.

Metro is 10x worse, the first time you open the Mail app it's like going to the eye doctor. At least many of the full-screen worthy apps in OSX are primarily black.

Yeah I know. I ran Windows 8 on my 27-inch iMac for a period of time.

You lot do realise that you're generally not supposed to run your screen at 100% brightness, right? I mean, sure, if you're in a bright environment, you need to crank up the brightness. If you're in your bedroom with the lights off, you don't need it that bright!

Even then the amount of white is overwhelming.

They should hire him!

Not in this reality. If they did that, it would be a good decision with regard to Windows 8, and 8 is only good for tablets and Phones as is.

Well the actual UI isn't far off that. Probably will be refined even further till the final product is released

It's all about ambient light and compensating for what your eyes are used to in your computers environment.

I have my monitor set to 50% brightness most the time, for one, it has a more papery look which is good for photo editing but the dynamic range on my particular monitor is more accurate at this level which I expect to be true over a whole range of displays.

As a rule 90% brightness during day and 40% at night.

Still, there's too much white.

Well the actual UI isn't far off that. Probably will be refined even further till the final product is released

Very true. I looked back over the Explorer in the Windows 8 theme leaks and it's not really that different except for:

A) typography (lots of bold)

B) rectangles are flush against each other and the window border, this is a biggie

C) icon consistency, also a biggie

D) status bar and borders are coloured with accent (I don't actually like this that much)

E) no glaring red close button, but I understand why Microsoft would want one

These are updates that can be done in about a week and are entirely possible with what the theming engine can do now. C'mon Microsoft, surprise us by RTM!