NeoLin - Who's in?

what

I can also help out with torrent distribution.

I am your torrent distribution guy, ready and waiting :)

SinghKing

Count me in :)

I can help however I can

Haggis

Why not keep the first post in this updated with all the info thats relevant

for example

Torrent Distribution: Paul0544, What

Asharae

You have all made some good points there, thanks guys :)

Im at the office atm, but when I finish later I'll sort everything out. I did everything late at night.

Duffydemon

Count me in, I can design icons and Other UI elements! :)

Asharae

Exellent welcome aboard simrat :)

I have pm about IRC and the like but haven't received a reply as of yet.

TheGhostWalker

I can provide a project management system like redmine or JIRA if needed.

pers3us

We are progressing really well here! Once Stocker edits the first post as suggested above, it will be pretty clear how many candidates we have that can contribute..

One question is still unclear though, who would be Lead Developer, as its really important that the person should be quite adept and knows what he is doing!

Haggis

I can help out where i can do, can do some graphics, coding with perl, php, html

got a kiddy coming soon so cant fully commit :)

MidnightDevil

I am. I'm learning to develop so I can be beta tester and head of some important department like, user interface :p

sanctified

Then, just to specify: I can help with GUI elements, Icons, Packaging and Branding.

Matthew_Thepc

Can we get a list of time zones people are in going here? It'll help come up with the right times for IRC/etc. to get everyone to participate. personally, i'll be in EST for the next month, then I'll be back in Pacific time. Also, should we do an x86, x64 or both releases? I'd prefer x64, but x86 would run on more systems. What about an ARM release? would be kind of neat if people could dual boot the ARM Windows 8 Tablets with Shift2. On top of that, where do you guys wanna host it? Does anyone have a lot of dropbox space, or someone could host it on Github or something. How would updates be handled? I don't know how Arch does it, but I'd think they need to be pretty painless.

n_K

"if people could dual boot the ARM Windows 8 Tablets with Shift2"

Won't be happening, UEFI has it locked down to only running windows 8. The UEFI key signing process requires a bit of money and to prove you're not gonna give the key out etc (unless you're a large company, you won't be getting a key).

I lose internet in a week and won't have it for 2 weeks until a new line gets installed, then after that I'm going to reconfigure my ESXi server to only have an arch and windows server running, so I might be able to stick up an rsync/ftp/http update server on a VM. Upto 20Mb upload with BT infinity but who knows :p

Asharae

Stocker360 Its 7:30 where are you? :p

I'm here I'm here! :)

The next person we are looking for is lead developer. Anyone fancy the task?

EDIT: Oh and I also can't seem to be able to edit the first post :(

Brandon H
github would be a great place to host the source, as for the actually ISOs i'm not really sure
Asharae

github would be a great place to host the source, as for the actually ISOs i'm not really sure

Where did the Shift guys upload their ISOs to?

+Frank B.

Suggestion for hosting: Pull the brunt of the packages from the Debian repositories, create a repo for Shift²-specific packages on github. .iso files can be hosted on github also, or perhaps on Neowin itself - clear it up with the developers and admins.

As to the project management: I would suggest a benevolent dictator model. Too much democracy is not a good thing in a project like this. The project manager should be able to provide a direction for the distribution, e.g. which packages to include, which programs to use as defaults. It will lead to nothing if the participators in the project start arguing about which shade of blue to use for the wallpaper.

Haggis

if its a 700mb ISO i can put a mirror on my webspace

+Majesticmerc

As to the project management: I would suggest a benevolent dictator model. Too much democracy is not a good thing in a project like this. The project manager should be able to provide a direction for the distribution, e.g. which packages to include, which programs to use as defaults. It will lead to nothing if the participators in the project start arguing about which shade of blue to use for the wallpaper.

I think we'd still have a better time being democratic and putting stuff to a vote, but in the end we should leave it to the project manager to make any final decisions, and PM's decision is final, even if he picks the minority vote. Having a benevolent dictator is all well and good, but if he doesn't listen to the people who'd be using the software, it won't go anywhere.

• Like 1
Matthew_Thepc

Once we get a project manager, where are we going to get the Arch Linux source? I've never actually looked for the source to a version of Linux before (:

Are we looking for https://www.archlinu...ore/i686/linux/ and then put the GNOME packages from https://www.archlinu...agged=&limit=50 on there, or what? how does all this compiling from source work? I can't seem to find any straightforward tutorial on it in the Arch forums....

OHAND, I think some people were offering to seed the ISOs once we get them :)

Matthew_Thepc

shade of blue to use for the wallpaper.

who said anything about blue? I VOTE VIOLET.

n_K

I see people mentioning using debian source and using arch source yet no-one seems to know which we're using?

I'm anti-debian because it's old, clanky, and the cause of a lot of problems for it's bad support system with the leap second recently.

Any idea what distro we're going with or what?

fusi0n

I can also mirror, I have a few 1000Mbs VPSes