Mountain Lion = ....meh?

migo

Who cares where the problem lies? In the end the result is the same. FYI, we're talking about Microsoft's own apps here.

It's still an app level problem. If it's an OS level problem it's something to be worried about. If it's an app level problem, then it's not something that'll be a problem for a long time.

.Neo

It's still an app level problem. If it's an OS level problem it's something to be worried about. If it's an app level problem, then it's not something that'll be a problem for a long time.

As long as it doesn't get fixed the final experience for the end-user remains the same.

• Like 1
Calum

It always makes me laugh when people complain about an OS upgrade costing $20 :D

I'd pay more if they offered more. A low cost isn't always justification for lack of features, innovation, or overhaul, after people have waited a certain amount of time. I'm not stating OS X Mountain Lion lacks any of that, I just thought I'd point out that there is sometimes room to complain about an update costing that amount :)

Josh the Nerd

Quite a few people here noticed the same with OS X Mountain Lion. Beyond that a lot of users complain Metro apps currently take for ever to load and it isn't because of debug code. My The time you save during startup you basically loose when trying to launch an app.

It's a good thing you don't have to use Metro apps to get the faster startup.

ATLien_0

For $20 its not a bad upgrade. I have been under the impression that Apple will soon be moving to OS 11 based on the amount of features added to the previous 2 maybe 3 upgrades. OS X feels like its hit an end to what they can add to it with out any drastic changes. The upgrades now just seem to be related to social trends with tablet computing

.Neo

It's a good thing you don't have to use Metro apps to get the faster startup.

Second you do start using them you pretty much lost the advantage of said faster startup time.

.Neo

For $20 its not a bad upgrade. I have been under the impression that Apple will soon be moving to OS 11 based on the amount of features added to the previous 2 maybe 3 upgrades.

What would Apple be able to do more with this OS 11 you're speaking of that isn't possible with OS X?

Active.

OS X's foundation is solid, I don't see Apple hitting any roadblocks developing it further, and they'd be destroying a well established brand moving away from the name. It doesn't make any sense.

ATLien_0

Im not saying they can't do more with OS X, but I like it the way it is now. Its been a few release cycles since OS X had any drastic changes or UI updates, and now its been mostly minor feature adds. This isn't bad, but to me this signals that Apple has started to run out of ideas to add to OS X.

Prosidius

Im not saying they can't do more with OS X, but I like it the way it is now. Its been a few release cycles since OS X had any drastic changes or UI updates, and now its been mostly minor feature adds. This isn't bad, but to me this signals that Apple has started to run out of ideas to add to OS X.

To be fair both OS X and Windows have matured to the point where it's about evolution as opposed to revolution in OS upgrades.

• Like 2
Brian Miller

This should be a servie pack, it looks like they are including things they missed on Lion.

Active.

To be fair both OS X and Windows have matured to the point where it's about evolution as opposed to revolution in OS upgrades.

The revolutions happen on other form factors (in Apple's case at least). But look at Microsoft to see how difficult it is to introduce users to a radical new UI on a device where expectations about how things are supposed to work already exist and have existed for decades .

On the other hand, Apple did introduce somewhat revolutionary ideas with OS X Lion for example. Think about the scroll bars that have been removed. The window management that has been overhauled. A radical new document and process model. And so on...

• Like 1
.Neo

This should be a servie pack, it looks like they are including things they missed on Lion.

In that case Windows 7 should have been a service pack too.

• Like 7
Glassed Silver

Guys, if you really think that desktop OS's don't have much room to grow anymore, I think that adding ZFS to Mac OS X natively (aka, Apple doing it) would be an excellent task.

I have a couple more ideas, but oh well...

Glassed Silver:mac

Active.

Guys, if you really think that desktop OS's don't have much room to grow anymore, I think that adding ZFS to Mac OS X natively (aka, Apple doing it) would be an excellent task.

Absolutely. I'm not sure I'd consider that to be a revolution though. It would certainly be a huge (and desperately needed) technical improvement and everybody would profit from it at least indirectly or unknowingly but it still just seems like natural progress. It's like making sure there's a reliable engine in your car so that it doesn't break down. You may take notice once there's file system corruption or anything like that, but day to day, most users probably aren't even aware of the job the file system is doing (and ideally really shouldn't be).

• Like 1
PyX

In my engineer head, I find it good that developers actually sit down and try to close all the loops they had opened with iCloud and with the things they partially implemented during the few last years or months. There?s always a need for stabilization and working on this point only for a whole year is pretty solid and serious for a company. Who else does that ?

I?m happy with Mountain Lion and will keep saying it?s what Lion should have been from day one. Mountain Lion, to me, is a complete product, while Lion was not.

• Like 2
Shadrack

It should have been, but it cost me $130 to upgrade from Vista.

Josh the Nerd

Most of Windows 7's features were never planned for Vista, were they?

KeR

The upgrades to Mountain Lion are under the hood, I am loving the optimizations. My Mac feels like a new machine, everything is snappier.

migo

Given all the plans they had for Vista, there's stuff that even Windows 8 isn't bringing that was planned for Vista.

• Like 3
.Neo

Wouldn't surprise me looking at what Windows Longhorn was supposed to be and what Windows Vista actually turned out as.

nyolc8

I feel that Lion was Mountain Lion beta.

Just an example: in Lion, LaunchPad feels unfinished, in Mountain Lion I feel it much more a final product. (added search function, fixed dock-menu bug).

And this is my feeling with the whole OS.

(The only negative for me is the longer shutdown process. Other than that, it's really snappier than Lion.)

• Like 1
.Neo

Yeah the added search box in Launchpad is definitely a game changer?

On a personal note I have no idea whatsoever why anyone would go into Launchpad first to do an app search there if you can do the same thing immediately through Spotlight. Anyway, I hear people say the same thing with every new OS X release and how the older one suddenly feels dated and unpolished.

PyX

I think we already had this discussion before. The only OSes I personally felt were not a completed product were :

On the Windows side :

• Windows ME felt like an incomplete Windows 2000
  • Windows Vista felt like an incomplete Windows 7

On the Mac side :

• Mac OS X Leopard felt like an incomplete Snow Leopard
  • Mac OS X Lion felt like an incomplete Mountain Lion

The release cycle became so fast on the Mac that they will start to integrate features in an OS and wait for the next release to complete it. Even then, you usually don?t have anything good until 10.X.1. With Mountain Lion, even without any patch and still on 10.8.0, it?s working insanely great.

.Neo

Mac OS X Panther felt like an incomplete Mac OS X Tiger

Mac OS X Puma felt like an incomplete Mac OS X Jaguar

Mac OS 8 felt like an incomplete Mac OS 9

Like I said I heard people, not specifically you, say the same thing over and over again with every new release.