Mountain Lion = ....meh?

.Neo    1,834

It's not for the devs, it's for the users running programs made by devs that aren't around anymore.

It's going to be a consideration between cost/benefit of keeping Rosetta support in OS X Mountain Lion. Providing support for those few PPC-only installers most likely isn't going to be worth it. Once again, you can still execute said PPC-only installer packages without Rosetta.

• Like 1
+virtorio    3,329

Add to the problem with Mac OS X arbitrary cut offs along with Microsoft Office more or less completely abandoned in favour of focusing on Office for Windows we have the final leg of the chair that keeps me using a Mac - without Microsoft Office for Mac I'm stuck in a situation where by I can't do the work I need from home and thus I'll be forced back to using Windows.

What's wrong with Office:Mac 2011? Has Microsoft made an announcement they're not working on a new version of Office:Mac that I've missed?
Calum    820

Redmond, start your photocopiers? And they did.

It would be silly of Microsoft to not implement some of the great features found in their competitors' products. Their products wouldn't be very competitive or successful if they didn't.

• Like 1
.Neo    1,834

It would be silly of Microsoft to not implement some of the great features found in their competitors' products. Their products wouldn't be very competitive or successful if they didn't.

Microsoft could have given it their own twist instead of an almost 1:1 ripoff. Luckily Apple since moved on and gave their own new twist to their own concept. In the end it doesn't matter so much. Mission Control/Expos? is fully integrated into the OS whereas Microsoft's clone is just a slapped on solution that's bundled with their touch mouse.

• Like 3
DeadEndAccount    508
What's wrong with Office:Mac 2011?

Failure to fix long standing bugs for starters - why can't it read my language settings (System Preferences) as British English when my keyboard is set to Australian? dumb crap like that annoys me - then add to the problem of documents saved in one language and when I open it on my computer the Office application doesn't over ride the document language with the one I prefer.

Has Microsoft made an announcement they're not working on a new version of Office:Mac that I've missed?

There announcement that there will be no new release (normally it follows 12 months after the Windows version) in favour of providing a minor update. In other words Microsoft has abandoned Mac users.

• Like 1
.Neo    1,834

Talking about Office suites: What the hell is taking Apple with their next iWork update? I'm seriously annoyed by that.

• Like 2
+virtorio    3,329

Failure to fix long standing bugs for starters - why can't it read my language settings (System Preferences) as British English when my keyboard is set to Australian? dumb crap like that annoys me - then add to the problem of documents saved in one language and when I open it on my computer the Office application doesn't over ride the document language with the one I prefer.

Those are good points, except that I have the same issues when using the Windows version of Office as well.

Active.    1,700
There announcement that there will be no new release (normally it follows 12 months after the Windows version) in favour of providing a minor update.

Source? As far as I'm aware all they said was that they hadn't yet " announced the next release of Office for Mac" and that there were no plans for an Office 2013 for the Mac, which is not exactly surprising or unexpected as the Windows and Mac version are on different schedules?!

If I remember correctly, Microsoft actually has a pretty good business going, selling Office to Mac users.

• Like 2
Albert    69

Most of Windows 7's features were never planned for Vista, were they?

they weren't. they were replacements for bloated, bug-ridden versions in vista.

.Neo    1,834

I thought it was a incredibly dumb question AppleInsider asked Microsoft. Of course there isn't going to be a Microsoft Office 2013 for Mac. As long as I can remember the Mac and Windows versions have been released in different years. Nowhere did Microsoft reps say there won't be an Office 2014 for Mac. So yeah, I interpreted it exactly the same way as CJEric.

http://www.appleinsi...r_mac_2013.html

• Like 2
Vice    1,593

I don't think you have much experience with Peek (going by your quoted post).

Well don't assume because that just makes you look stupid when you're wrong. :)

BajiRav    2,137

Yea that's why I said "I don't think". Your description of how you use Aero Peek didn't make much sense hence my assumption. ;-)

Glassed Silver    940

Updated (clean install) to Mountain Lion this morning. I can't get along with the new Safari. I don't like how the tabs spread across the whole window, and I hate how the address bar doesn't take focus in a new window/tab.

I can't stand the spreading out, too... Maybe it will grow on to me and make sense eventually. :p

I think the main feature for me is the iMessage on ML, makes it much easier for me to reply to messages on my phone when I am on my mac!

Does it sync all your previous iMessages from my iPhone to Mesages on my Mac?

That'd be awesome, until then, I might disable it and wait...

If I get a mirrored experience, it should be complete.

Not only developers get access to ML. You can be Beta tester as well. I am not a dev, but I do have access to ML ;)

Torrents or AppleSeed? :)

Source? As far as I'm aware all they said was that they hadn't yet " announced the next release of Office for Mac" and that there were no plans for an Office 2013 for the Mac, which is not exactly surprising or unexpected as the Windows and Mac version are on different schedules?!

If I remember correctly, Microsoft actually has a pretty good business going, selling Office to Mac users.

*phew* I was shocked for a moment! :laugh:

And yea, iWork needs some TLC ASAP.

It's getting ridiculous - almost as bad as the eternal wait for the new Mac Pro.

I was close to getting one, but I thought I'd rather not buy a super outdated "new" device, so I got an iMac again and I'm pleased with it. :yes:

Next desktop Mac will probably be a Mac Pro finally.

Glassed Silver:mac

Quillz    1,011

iWork hasn't even received an interim update for the Retina Display, yet.

• Like 1
protocol7    549

I wonder if they're working on a new office suite to replace iWork. That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with for the delay.

BetaAddict    107

There announcement that there will be no new release (normally it follows 12 months after the Windows version) in favour of providing a minor update. In other words Microsoft has abandoned Mac users.

Not necessarily abandonment, rather OSX has always been a lower priority compared to Windows, and rightfully so in their opinion considering it's a rival platform. Pretty much the reason why there is Office 2010 for Windows and Office 2011 for Mac. Whether there is a Office for Mac 2014 or not, can't say for sure, but as long as the update they will push out this year has retina support, it's enough for me.

.Neo    1,834

iWork hasn't even received an interim update for the Retina Display, yet.

Nor has it been updated to include OS X Lion's auto-correct features. I also can't get Dictionary to pop-up by using three fingers. It worked once by accident, but that one time only.

.Neo    1,834

Not necessarily abandonment, rather OSX has always been a lower priority compared to Windows, and rightfully so in their opinion considering it's a rival platform. Pretty much the reason why there is Office 2010 for Windows and Office 2011 for Mac. Whether there is a Office for Mac 2014 or not, can't say for sure, but as long as the update they will push out this year has retina support, it's enough for me.

You seem oblivious to the fact the Office for Mac team is a completely independent one from the Office for Windows team. There's simply no contest going on which of the two get more priority since they don't share the same workforce.

Glassed Silver    940
You seem oblivious to the fact the Office for Mac team is a completely independent one from the Office for Windows team. There's simply no contest going on which of the two get more priority since they don't share the same workforce.

I honestly think that in some ways it's superior to its Windows counterpart.

Oh, and whilst it's true they are separate teams, they are only separate teams in ONE company, after all, they COULD get supervising authorities in the companies to go a bit easier etc...

Just saying, so it's not ruled out per se, that the Mac version could somehow be put less interest in. Not saying they do though.

+1 to the lack of OS native functions: very annoying!

Dictionary is a constantly used feature for me, it's so awesome since Lion I cannot believe how often I use it for Japanese and Wikipedia lookups! :jump:

Glassed Silver:mac

.Neo    1,834

It has been told time and time again that Microsoft's Mac division is a totally separate one. Obviously the team is smaller, but what I'm trying to say is: It's not like people are being pulled away from the Office for Mac team to work on the Windows version because the latter takes priority. Per example.

P1ckles    6

How's the notification center in ML -- does it completely replace the need for Growl or is it still missing a lot of the notifications Growl provides? If so, could Growl be used alongside?

PyX    140

How's the notification center in ML -- does it completely replace the need for Growl or is it still missing a lot of the notifications Growl provides? If so, could Growl be used alongside?

Not all applications use the Notification Center now. They?re not on the App Store until a week before ML is released. So right now, it could be a good idea to use Growl in parallel, but you reminded me that I had it installed and I just uninstalled it. My #1 use was with Adium and now I?m using Messages even though there?s a bunch of things I hate about it. Adium is long dead in my book.

PyX    140

Does it sync all your previous iMessages from my iPhone to Mesages on my Mac?

That'd be awesome, until then, I might disable it and wait...

If I get a mirrored experience, it should be complete.

Usually, yes it is a mirrored experience. But for some reasons, it doesn?t *always* work. There?s room for improvement here.

And yea, iWork -----

Ugh? Don?t tell me about it !!!

migo    105

I was over on Arstechnica and folks were saying, "Oh, this is just a transition from 32bit to 64bit" and "you won't see any more early cut offs like this in the future" etc. The issue I have isn't fact that future versions might run like crap on a 5 year old machine but the feeling that I'm being constantly forced into an upgrade - that I really don't have much choice but 'just do it'. Anyone who knows me will know that I hate the idea of being pushed into something - that if I do something it is because I see material benefit in it rather than being pushed. With the control over hardware and software might sound nice but look what we have as a result - when Apple wishes to push the hardware sales up they can come up with some arbitrary reason why and as a Mac user we have no choice but to accept it if we want to run the latest version of Mac OS X. With the horizontal mode like we see in the Windows world there is disjointedness but equally there is the ability to run a newer version of Windows without some sort of arbitrary cut off point because business A wishes to push more hardware sales.

For me I'm going to hang in here for another 2 years to get the most out of my machine (making the ownership 3 years in total) but I'm going to move over to Windows 9 once it is released. Add to the problem with Mac OS X arbitrary cut offs along with Microsoft Office more or less completely abandoned in favour of focusing on Office for Windows we have the final leg of the chair that keeps me using a Mac - without Microsoft Office for Mac I'm stuck in a situation where by I can't do the work I need from home and thus I'll be forced back to using Windows. Btw, iWork is a joke - 3 years without an upgrade is something I can't base my work flow on - I need to know that the software vendor I rely on actually gives a crap about their software by providing regular updates and upgrades rather than the sporadic out of the blue shipping when it seems convenient.

Yeah, that's a huge advantage with Microsoft not being hardware vendor (let's hope Asus, Lenovo, et al put out some good tablets and keep it that way). They go out of their way to support backwards compatibility, even when it's to their detriment.

It's going to be a consideration between cost/benefit of keeping Rosetta support in OS X Mountain Lion. Providing support for those few PPC-only installers most likely isn't going to be worth it. Once again, you can still execute said PPC-only installer packages without Rosetta.

They're sitting on $100billion in cash. They should give something back to the users that made them so damn rich.

In this case, he was right though, or you're being dishonest.

I honestly think that in some ways it's superior to its Windows counterpart.

I thought Word 2004 was definitely better than Word 2003, partly because it also included a lot of features of OneNote as well, while in Office 2003 they were two separate programs.

Since Word 2007 though, I haven't been able to stand 2008 or 2011 because with the mandatory menu bar at the top, there's no way to do the ribbon well, so the UI is completely disjointed.

Rudy    457

Since Word 2007 though, I haven't been able to stand 2008 or 2011 because with the mandatory menu bar at the top, there's no way to do the ribbon well, so the UI is completely disjointed.

The ribbon has no place in OSX, it makes no sense
  • Like 1