Mountain Lion = ....meh?

Vice

They're not untitled. And peek gives the most effective workflow.

I disagree with that personally. I don't use Aero Peek on my Windows machine because the window previews are so tiny and useless. Give me Expose on windows any day to be honest.

And keep in mind that Expose supports both Application windows only or all windows open on the system. The application window one would be the direct replacement of Aero Peek but instead of getting that tiny window above the task bar you can see all the windows as large as your display can handle, which I think is better if you're trying to quickly find something by visuals alone which is what aero peek was made for.

.Neo

That's the primary reason I'm not interested in buying a Mac anymore, particularly brand new. I'm fine using one as a hand-me down, I didn't have to spend any money on it, but spending $1000+ on a system to find it gets arbitrarily cut off (my Wallstreet couldn't run Panther because it didn't have a USB port, even though it significantly outperformed a Rev A iMac that could run Panther... -_-) is pretty ****ty. Getting legacy software cut off is also annoying, Rosetta worked fine, couldn't Apple have just left it in?

I can't speak for all cases, but I know in some a Mac series that lacked - per example - a USB port also lacked - again, per example - certain graphic capabilities. It was just easier to tell people to look for the USB port than to check for whatever generation of graphics cards. Then there's also the possibility future OS X releases simply lacked the drivers for serial ports and whatnot rendering much of your Mac useless. Hence the USB port requirement.

I believe Apple got rid of Rosetta in OS X Lion because of the 64-bit kernel and incompatibility with PPC apps. The switch to Intel has been completed 5 years ago, I can't really blame Apple for axing support.

.Neo

I disagree with that personally. I don't use Aero Peek on my Windows machine because the window previews are so tiny and useless. Give me Expose on windows any day to be honest.

He's talking about the ability to hover over a thumbnail preview above the taskbar with the full-sized window on the desktop itself being singled out. I didn't immediately get what part of Peek exactly he was referring to either since he wasn't being very clear about that.

threetonesun

Rosetta worked fine, couldn't Apple have just left it in?

No.

If you didn't see the PowerPC -> Intel switch coming, and really expected all of your PowerPC hardware to last indefinitely, shame on you, really. Also, that's not a good reason to avoid future purchases, because if the smartphone model is anything to go by, every company is going to the "outdate it through software" model.

Of course, that was almost always the case, people accused Microsoft of continuously adding bloat to Office once upon a time, because if MS just out-specced whatever the last generation of machine was, they could force people to upgrade. Same with Windows. This isn't a new practice, we just got away from it for a short period of time because the jump to dual+ core processors kept them from being overpowered, and most PCs can hold 4x more memory than is necessary.

• Like 1
Pink Floyd

Nobody is forcing you to upgrade to ML anyway. Just keep Lion if it fits your need and wallet. Personally, I like the iCloud saving possibility with files on many OSX app built in. Gatekeeper is also nice to protect computer even more.

However, I'd like to see more options with iCloud, including a spam bayesian filter. But this is not ML really.

.Neo

Nobody is forcing you to upgrade to ML anyway.

See that isn't an option either since then they wouldn't have the latest OS version installed. ;)

Pink Floyd

See that isn't an option either since then they wouldn't have the latest OS version installed. ;)

Not sure to understand you on this
.Neo

Not sure to understand you on this

Simply put there seem to be a lot of people around here for whom upgrading isn't an option, but not upgrading isn't an option either.

• Like 1
blachole

He's talking about the ability to hover over a thumbnail preview above the taskbar with the full-sized window on the desktop itself being singled out. I didn't immediately get what part of Peek exactly he was referring to either since he wasn't being very clear about that.

There is an app that does this and adds window snap feature as well. It's called HyperDock. You can get it here:

http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/

• Like 1
.Neo

I'm not the one who wants it. ;)

Rudy

There is an app that does this and adds window snap feature as well. It's called HyperDock. You can get it here:

http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/

The only neat thing I see on their site is the iTunes controls
  • Like 1
patseguin

Get in back in the game with who exactly? Microsoft? Gimme a break? If OS X Mountain Lion is a jumbled mess the Windows 8 experience becomes comparable to your area taking a direct hit by a nuclear blast in the 50 megaton range.

Lol nice analogy. I think Windows 8 will be a bigger hit and arrive with way more fanfare than Mountain Lion which will probably release with whimper.

.Neo

Lol nice analogy. I think Windows 8 will be a bigger hit and arrive with way more fanfare than Mountain Lion which will probably release with whimper.

It's Microsoft first serious attempt (ignoring their failed attempt with Windows 7) at breaking ground in the modern tablet space, obviously it's going to launch with more fanfare. They need the attention.

• Like 2
migo

You clearly don't use Aero Peek if you think the window previews are tiny.

migo

I can't speak for all cases, but I know in some a Mac series that lacked - per example - a USB port also lacked - again, per example - certain graphic capabilities. It was just easier to tell people to look for the USB port than to check for whatever generation of graphics cards.

In this case, my Wallstreet had better graphics capabilities than a RevA iMac, and Panther was also more efficient than Jaguar, so it ran better on old hardware, so that definitely wouldn't have been the case at the time.

Then there's also the possibility future OS X releases simply lacked the drivers for serial ports and whatnot rendering much of your Mac useless. Hence the USB port requirement.

It was supported fine on a Lombard, on which the only difference, aside from a slightly faster processor, one less PCMCIA slot and a bronze keyboard, was replacing the ADB ports with USB. Supporting ADB would have been trivial, and since the Lombard still had SCSI, that would have still been supported on the Wallstreet as well.

I believe Apple got rid of Rosetta in OS X Lion because of the 64-bit kernel and incompatibility with PPC apps. The switch to Intel has been completed 5 years ago, I can't really blame Apple for axing support.

They could have at least left it in for programs that had PPC installers for Universal apps. It's unlikely that there would have been compatibility issues just for launching the installer.

Vice

You clearly don't use Aero Peek if you think the window previews are tiny.

Well obviously I'm talking about the Aero Peak thumbnails that show up above the task bar. I don't think it is more efficient to slide your mouse around the bottom of the screen at each little thumbnail while the windows of that program are cycling through on the display. That to me is inefficient and takes longer than if all the windows were spread out and I was able to quickly select the one I want from that program or all programs. Both of which Expose can do on OS X.

And you're right I don't use it, because it's useless to me. Just wastes my time.

• Like 1
.Neo
They could have at least left it in for programs that had PPC installers for Universal apps. It's unlikely that there would have been compatibility issues just for launching the installer.

It isn't very realistic to expect Apple to bend over backwards for those few lazy developers who still haven't updated their installers five years after the transition to Intel has been completed.

• Like 1
.Neo
And you're right I don't use it, because it's useless to me. Just wastes my time.

Must be because you don't use text files like migo and are able to read the window labels in App Expos?. :laugh:

Pink Floyd

Never did understand why regular users get developer access accounts.

Not only developers get access to ML. You can be Beta tester as well. I am not a dev, but I do have access to ML ;)
protocol7

It isn't very realistic to expect Apple to bend over backwards for those few lazy developers who still haven't updated their installers five years after the transition to Intel has been completed.

You mean lazy developers like Apple, who still put a PowerPC installer on their "Pro App" discs like Final Cut and Logic as recently as 2009?

Fortunately, there are workarounds for the PowerPC installer issue.

.Neo
You mean lazy developers like Apple, who still put a PowerPC installer on their "Pro App" discs like Final Cut and Logic as recently as 2009?

Fortunately, there are workarounds for the PowerPC installer issue.

Yeah that's bad. Point still stands that it's nonsense for Apple to jump through hoops trying to support Rosetta just for a handful of PPC installers of legacy software. Not to mention the fact you can still fairly easy install them through Terminal or Pacifist.

• Like 2
puma1

Apple has a large marketing department and they are GOOD.

;)

migo

It's not for the devs, it's for the users running programs made by devs that aren't around anymore.

BajiRav

Well obviously I'm talking about the Aero Peak thumbnails that show up above the task bar. I don't think it is more efficient to slide your mouse around the bottom of the screen at each little thumbnail while the windows of that program are cycling through on the display. That to me is inefficient and takes longer than if all the windows were spread out and I was able to quickly select the one I want from that program or all programs. Both of which Expose can do on OS X.

I think Aero Peek works as well as expose on OS X. I work regularly on both OSs and neither is particularly inefficient compared to the other. With all due respect, I don't think you have much experience with Peek (going by your quoted post).

DeadEndAccount
That's the primary reason I'm not interested in buying a Mac anymore, particularly brand new. I'm fine using one as a hand-me down, I didn't have to spend any money on it, but spending $1000+ on a system to find it gets arbitrarily cut off (my Wallstreet couldn't run Panther because it didn't have a USB port, even though it significantly outperformed a Rev A iMac that could run Panther... -_-) is pretty ****ty. Getting legacy software cut off is also annoying, Rosetta worked fine, couldn't Apple have just left it in?

I was over on Arstechnica and folks were saying, "Oh, this is just a transition from 32bit to 64bit" and "you won't see any more early cut offs like this in the future" etc. The issue I have isn't fact that future versions might run like crap on a 5 year old machine but the feeling that I'm being constantly forced into an upgrade - that I really don't have much choice but 'just do it'. Anyone who knows me will know that I hate the idea of being pushed into something - that if I do something it is because I see material benefit in it rather than being pushed. With the control over hardware and software might sound nice but look what we have as a result - when Apple wishes to push the hardware sales up they can come up with some arbitrary reason why and as a Mac user we have no choice but to accept it if we want to run the latest version of Mac OS X. With the horizontal mode like we see in the Windows world there is disjointedness but equally there is the ability to run a newer version of Windows without some sort of arbitrary cut off point because business A wishes to push more hardware sales.

For me I'm going to hang in here for another 2 years to get the most out of my machine (making the ownership 3 years in total) but I'm going to move over to Windows 9 once it is released. Add to the problem with Mac OS X arbitrary cut offs along with Microsoft Office more or less completely abandoned in favour of focusing on Office for Windows we have the final leg of the chair that keeps me using a Mac - without Microsoft Office for Mac I'm stuck in a situation where by I can't do the work I need from home and thus I'll be forced back to using Windows. Btw, iWork is a joke - 3 years without an upgrade is something I can't base my work flow on - I need to know that the software vendor I rely on actually gives a crap about their software by providing regular updates and upgrades rather than the sporadic out of the blue shipping when it seems convenient.

• Like 1