My concept for the Windows 8 desktop

Good god no, not more overuse of white and terrible ribbon patterns. No offence intended but the overuse of white in Office is bad enough, seeing it in Windows would be horrible.

Good god no, not more overuse of white and terrible ribbon patterns. No offence intended but the overuse of white in Office is bad enough, seeing it in Windows would be horrible.

I never really saw anything wrong with white space, it's a common design element. If the interface doesn't need lines to make sense, I see no reason to put them in. Besides, having a different color background for the ribbon may just lead to readability issues.

I did try to combat the whitewash with a watermark though, and in my concept, it's the watermark used in Start Screen. That way, they have a common element to them.

I actually like this. Good work. :)

Looks awesome :)

Thank you! :-)

I'm not a Metro fan but at least, these screenshots are all Metro. Not the half-metro half-Aero crap Microsoft made with Windows 8's desktop.

Well, I can't really make you like Metro, but I'm glad you at least think my concept is consistent. :-)

I was expecting some crappy concept but this is quite good! I'm impressed!

Looks good!

Thank you very much!

http://sleepy608.dev...us-VS-315116721

this VS has the best metro look for explorer...try it...I hope the dev will port this VS to Windows 8 soon

I don't know. That kind of looks weird to me. It just looks like a white theme and not particularly Metro.

Way more Metro than Windows 8. This is what I expected Windows 8 to end up like, not the mix of 4 or 5 UIs that it actually is.

Good work. (Y)

• Like 3

It looks beautiful, has a finishing and polished feeling. Much better than what i have seen in RTM screenshots. (Y)

@ OP

Can you make a quick mockups where whites are replaced by very light greys please? Let's see how that looks!!

Sorry to tell you, but this is how it will looks like: PIC. So it will be white (by default).

I like the flatness of it, but ah im not sold on my explorer looking like my office ui. Probaly where its heading but just not a fan myself.

It's a shame the Office team and the Windows team work separately, Windows always seems to lag behind the Office team in UI concepts recently

That's because Microsoft has been using Office to test run the designs. They get the usage metrics from Office users and then move it to Windows >.<

This mockup looks great, especially the time/date on the Taskbar.

really hate all this "white" stuff! hope this will be change soon

but i like your concept, wheres the show desktop button?

All this "white" stuff is nothing new. Open Explorer in Windows 7 and it's virtually the same - 99% white with very little colour beyond the content.

I do hope shortly after RTM, theme patching begins. I can't wait to see some of the themes made, and if they look like this, I'll be happy.

• Like 2