My concept for the Windows 8 desktop

From what I read a while ago unlike Apple's OS X team, Microsoft's Windows team doesn't have any real interface graphics designers on board. It sure would explain the perpetual inconsistent state Windows is in. It also explains why third parties are hired by Microsoft to design the icon themes.

Really?! Well that is a damn shame. It's a shame when the Office team, a team that makes software mainly for businesses who wouldn't care as much about design, have designers and are ahead of a team that makes software for a broader audience. It just doesn't make sense.

The problem is that the concept video you're talking about was done by the Office team, not the Windows team. The Office team "gets" UI while the Windows team seems to be clueless in it...

Yes, I know that. But they could use those people for Windows UI, too.

From what I read a while ago unlike Apple's OS X team, Microsoft's Windows team doesn't have any real interface graphics designers on board. It sure would explain the perpetual inconsistent state Windows is in. It also explains why third parties are hired by Microsoft to design the icon themes.

Are you serious? I find that hard to believe.

EDIT: but maybe you're right. A real graphic/UI designer wouldn't make something so ugly as windows 8 metro.

Okay, so I'm still working on the Control Panel, but I decided that instead of Photoshopping everything, I would make it in HTML and CSS so everyone can actually play around with it. :-)

• Like 2

other people do the win 8 concepts better then microsoft does. LOL.

I like this (OP) one but it needs a dark theme.

I got a request for that from a friend of mine, but it was too much work to do alongside a white one. Now that I'm doing it in HTML and CSS, that should be easier.

This concept has clearly been well thought out and well designed. It looks stunning. Thank you for sharing :) I don't mind how the RTM build of Windows looks, from what we've seen of the leaked screenshots, but I do much prefer your concept.

What do you think of this idea?

File Explorer's file menu = Control Panel

<image snipped from quote>

I love that! Yet again, it is consistent with the new Office preview, still works very well, and looks great!

Okay, so I'm still working on the Control Panel, but I decided that instead of Photoshopping everything, I would make it in HTML and CSS so everyone can actually play around with it. :-)

It would be awesome to be able to play around with your mock-ups!

It's a shame the Office team and the Windows team work separately, Windows always seems to lag behind the Office team in UI concepts recently

It seems Office is the testing ground for new UIs.

Looking good so far :) I imagine in "the real thing" the animations would be smooth like the Office 2013 style.

I'm going to TRY to add the animations after I've done more. I'm gonna try to add Window dragging by tomorrow though. It just doesn't feel right without being able to do that.

Good god no, not more overuse of white and terrible ribbon patterns. No offence intended but the overuse of white in Office is bad enough, seeing it in Windows would be horrible.

Meh, I'd love it.

I'm going to TRY to add the animations after I've done more. I'm gonna try to add Window dragging by tomorrow though. It just doesn't feel right without being able to do that.

Posted to main, great job! https://www.neowin.net/news/from-the-forums-my-concept-for-the-windows-8-desktop

• Like 3

Great work :D The live site preview brings it alive and it feels great to work with :)

Good god no, not more overuse of white and terrible ribbon patterns. No offence intended but the overuse of white in Office is bad enough, seeing it in Windows would be horrible.

Couldn't agree with you more. I am almost traumatized by the use of white in Office 2013 and it would be too bad if Microsoft persists with it for the Explorer as well.....

It may not seem like much, but this is what I have so far.

http://751distractio...m/Win8_concept/

Info, History, and Appearance are the only ones that work.

It uses HTML5, CSS3, PHP, and JavaScript(which I have no experience working with).

Should work perfectly in IE9 and up.

LOVE IT :D anyway I could help?

The only thing I don't like about your design is the trash icon. It really does look so much better than Microsoft's design. Amazing!

I apologize for double posting. I'm not sure what the rules are about that here. I just wanted tell everyone that I finally got the window dragging working if you want to play around with that.

Really good theme. I'd say it's easily better than the default Windows 8 theme. The only thing I don't like is the date being displayed to the right of the time - it strikes me that the time should be in the corner and that the date should be displayed as numbers.