Romney campaign book: England is just a small island

There are a lot of people saying not-so-nice things about America and (not very indirectly) Americans. This in response to what one person wrote in a book. But we are all guilty, and all *******s now. You see how that works? The internet is a wonderful thing.

Brits == inhabitants of Great Britain. Scots == inhabitants of Scotland. Yanks == inhabitants of the united states of yankland?

"Brits" is commonly used to refer to English people, even though Scotland is part of great Britain too, they tend to be called "scots."

Either way, whether the nickname is similar to the name of the country or not is irrelevant. Whether a name is offensive or not is down to the individual.

"Brits" is commonly used to refer to English people, even though Scotland is part of great Britain too, they tend to be called "scots."

I'm an Englishman living in Scotland and i can tell you from first hand experience that they do refer to themselves as 'Brits', so it's not just the English.

??do you mean here? it wasn't that bad if I am thinking about the one you are I drove in that snow storm it was barely anything only got like 7 inchs of snow everyone panicked about it though *face palm* as everyone seems to do when they watch the news

Maybe the news reports over here exaggerated things (which wouldn't surprise me at all), but I was under the impression that it got pretty bad there. Then again, pretty much ANY snowfall is a rare thing for us in Mississippi (especially the southern half of the state).

edit: this is the one I was referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_2009%E2%80%932010_in_Europe

There are a lot of people saying not-so-nice things about America and (not very indirectly) Americans. This in response to what one person wrote in a book. But we are all guilty, and all *******s now. You see how that works? The internet is a wonderful thing.

Brits == inhabitants of Great Britain. Scots == inhabitants of Scotland. Yanks == inhabitants of the united states of yankland?

Scotland is in Great Britain.

Say what you want about the US, but we do have probably the most varied geography of any single country on earth.

Yes you do indeed. I feel lucky to have experienced a fair bit of US geology; I particularly liked Yosemite and the high desert of Nevada.

But, conversely, US cities are not that interesting; most of them look similar in my opinion. The only notable exceptions for me are New Orleans and Las Vegas.

I agree with living in an area with low population density ? the part of England (not the UK) I live in has the lowest population density, and I prefer that. But not everyone likes that, most people live in cities, which is true for you as well for us.

I don?t want this to come across as me being anti US, I?m far from that, but not everything is great in the US.

Perhaps we should talk about gun crime and healthcare, two area, I feel the US falls down on.

Maybe the news reports over here exaggerated things (which wouldn't surprise me at all), but I was under the impression that it got pretty bad there. Then again, pretty much ANY snowfall is a rare thing for us in Mississippi (especially the southern half of the state).

edit: this is the one I was referring to: http://en.wikipedia....32010_in_Europe

lol noooo noooo I know that one it was pants I was in one of the heaviest areas I still made it to work (drifting[skidding] so much fun, snow makes it that much easier in front wheel drive)

lol noooo noooo I know that one it was pants I was in one of the heaviest areas I still made it to work (drifting[skidding] so much fun, snow makes it that much easier in front wheel drive)

European cars are mostly manuals, which makes driving in the snow easier than in an automatic.

European cars are mostly manuals, which makes driving in the snow easier than in an automatic.

yea its the stopping that is the problem though in any car you are not allowed to use your breaks in the snow cause you will fail... engine breaking only (which you cant do with an auto)

yea its the stopping that is the problem though in any car you are not allowed to use your breaks in the snow cause you will fail... engine breaking only (which you cant do with an auto)

Isn't that what anti-lock braking system (ABS) is for?

ABS isn't the be all and end all. You can still, very easily, lose traction in snowy conditions. Once you start to slide, it's time to hold on and hope!

ABS isn't the be all and end all. You can still, very easily, lose traction in snowy conditions. Once you start to slide, it's time to hold on and hope!

I drive a rear-wheel drive sports car and have never had any problems with sliding. Take it slow and steady and if the car starts to slide, simply steer into it and you'll quickly regain traction. The majority of people automatically slam the brakes on which makes any chance of traction virtually zero on ice (even with ABS) or try to steer out of it, which again reduces your chance of getting traction.

abs do not work that way in snow locking or not if you break you keep on going and even a second of breaking can throw your car off center the key to snow driving is (if your car is not built for it) drive slow, engine break if needed and let your car stop its self and no sharp turns stop on sharp turns if need

I'm used to drive in snow, so I have no problem at all using the ABS for breaking.

Maybe it's because I'm driving an Audi and not an American car. :)

I'm used to drive in snow, so I have no problem at all using the ABS for breaking.

Maybe it's because I'm driving an Audi and not an American car. :)

I drive a Vectra. Damn thing is sooo heavy... :(