Valve cranks up Linux gaming, makes it faster than Windows

Not from my experience. I have CIV V which runs much faster with the DX9 binary than the DX11 one. DX11's features are more demanding, hence the lower fps on average.

The DX11 one also looks better. Well if its actually DX11 and not some tiny ass change like Deus Ex has.

That's probably true for some games where DX10/11 is an afterthought. I'd be interested in seeing some benchmarks to clear the issue up. I can only speak from personal experience with games like CIV V and Crysis 2.

Thats the thing, all games DX10/11 is an afterthought.

If they coded it directly for Dx10/11, one the game wouldn't be portable to the 360 without a significant rewrite. And two the game won't work on XP which holds what 30-40% of the OS install base?

So they code it for DX9 to satisfy everyone.

The Linux kernel was made in the early 1990's, and has been added to ever since, but that doesn't make it outdated does it? Windows 7/8 probably has parts which were written in the late 90's/early 2k's, but that doesn't make Windows 7/8 outdated does it? Not everything needs a complete rewrite to be in-date does it.

I assume he's comparing the latest OpenGL to DX9 right?

It was for

Razorfold

not for you, sorry.. the quote didnt appeared and im unable to edit that post idk why

No what?

So the story is:

Valve is afraid of Microsoft Store in Windows 8.

Valve will now say change to Linux.

In Linux there is no Microsoft Store.

Now Valve will show at every single possible opportunity, how Linux is great and Windows sucks at gaming.

Before being hit with "Windows Fanboy" or other remarks. I'm a Windows User. I'm a iPhone user. I'm a PlayStation user. I'm a Sony LCD user. I'm a Keyboard and Mouse Logitech user. I'm a Canon printer user. Etc.... Got the point??? I use what gives me a better experience.

No what?

Ok, let me fix this hahaha it wasnt for you also, sorry! my mobile is driving me crazy lol, let me fix this right below this line:

AHHAHAHAH Come on dude, get real. Win 8 is no ****ing different than Win 7. It just has a slightly different GUI. Big ****ing deal. The underlying guts of the OS are even more streamlined than 7.

:s

NO

Ok, let me fix this hahaha it wasnt for you also, sorry! my mobile is driving me crazy lol, let me fix this right below this line:

NO

and NO right back at you because ahhell is right

Windows is changing. Windows 8 isnt the same windows we all enjoyed using for years. I can say im a pre windows 8 fanboy, loved all Windows until 8.

i think alot of us will be moving to Linux for the more traditional desktop computing UI makes the most sense for desktop computers/gaming, and windows 8 will be like IOS, and will be nice when we want to do lite things while being mobile, such as poke someone on facebook, or check email.

And i love the fact that Valve is starting to make games work on linux just as good/if not better than they do on windows.

With good reason. The traditional desktop UI has hit a stalemate. No one is developing new and interesting apps for Windows, MacOSX any more. The smartphone craze has pushed many developers to the mobile app side of things. You can't blame Microsoft for changing to meet that demand.

I've heard that most game developers code their games on Linux platforms anyway and then compile them for Windows. So keeping the coding in Linux is just a snap

and NO right back at you because ahhell is right

he is not right! not 100%.

win 8 guts has been changed a lot! otherwise whats the point in creating a new os? just the new GUI? its like vista to 7: the GUI was not brutally changed but the guts were. Im not telling that this will make gaming harder or anything, just saying that it did changed

Valve/Gabe is scared that the MS Store is going to cut into there Steam profits. That's what all this BS is about. Linux will never take off as a "gaming" OS.

he is not right! not 100%.

win 8 guts has been changed a lot! otherwise whats the point in creating a new os? just the new GUI? its like vista to 7: the GUI was not brutally changed but the guts were. Im not telling that this will make gaming harder or anything, just saying that it did changed

I'm thinking by the recent report that win8 is a travesty/joke by that Valve guy.. because my understanding is that they have so confined game developers within a too controlled environment that game developers seemed turned off by win8.(( just my perception) of what I'm reading. as if they may be somewhat turned off by this change

Valve/Gabe is scared that the MS Store is going to cut into there Steam profits. That's what all this BS is about. Linux will never take off as a "gaming" OS.

whether this is the actual reason or not, I'm actually hoping gaming for Linux does take off :)

I'm thinking by the recent report that win8 is a travesty/joke by that Valve guy.. because my understanding is that they have so confined game developers within a too controlled environment that game developers seemed turned off by win8.(( just my perception) of what I'm reading. as if they may be somewhat turned off by this change

There's no controlled environment unless you're making a Metro App :rolleyes:

whether this is the actual reason or not, I'm actually hoping gaming for Linux does take off :)

Couldn't hurt, but doubt it'll do much. Porting a couple of old games that they own is a big difference from getting major developers to take a gamble on it, especially when you're dealing with multi-million dollar titles, never mind getting AMD and nVidia to do a better job with their Linux drivers. It's been on OSX for some time now, hasn't exaclty pushed the majority out of the Windows camp either.

Well since i'm no win8 enthusiast, all I can do is take your word for it at this point.

hmm can be for metro apps

Well since i'm no win8 enthusiast, all I can do is take your word for it at this point.

So you admit that you don't what anything about this so you comment anyway? Nice. :|

I understand the pessimism, by why actively root against it?

You admit Metro is a controlled environment. That its also the new environment that we all know replaces the old in time. Yet you know, for sure, that the openness of Win32 will always exist. We simply don't know which way MS might turn a few years from now, especially since there are enough traitors in our midst that would be more than OK with that.

The Apple store is a testament to how apathetic and convenience driven your average consumer (and developer) is.

I think Valve should just announce their Linux based console instead of trolling Windows every other day or providing fodder to anti-Microsoft-anything-they-kill-kittens trolls like simplezz

Windows 8 + next Xbox = lockdown by Microsoft. Guaranteed. Play the game on any Windows system or Xbox, pay MS, download from MS, totally closed loop. It's the next phase in their profit generation scheme.

That's why they're porting it to Linux, they can see what's coming.

Windows 8 + next Xbox = lockdown by Microsoft. Guaranteed. Play the game on any Windows system or Xbox, pay MS, download from MS, totally closed loop. It's the next phase in their profit generation scheme.

That's why they're porting it to Linux, they can see what's coming.

No. What they see coming is "hey this game is available on MS' App store...I don't need to use Steam".

So the story is:

Valve is afraid of Microsoft Store in Windows 8.

Valve will now say change to Linux.

In Linux there is no Microsoft Store.

Now Valve will show at every single possible opportunity, how Linux is great and Windows sucks at gaming.

Before being hit with "Windows Fanboy" or other remarks. I'm a Windows User. I'm a iPhone user. I'm a PlayStation user. I'm a Sony LCD user. I'm a Keyboard and Mouse Logitech user. I'm a Canon printer user. Etc.... Got the point??? I use what gives me a better experience.

Oh my :/ I don't think you could be more wrong. Do you really think they whipped up the Linux version in a few months? This is something they've been working for a long time, way before the MS Store was announced

If they're able to make these kinds of performance gains across the board, and with DX10 and 11 games, I'd seriously consider a switch. It's clear to me that OpenGL is still every bit a match for D3D, it's just under utilised in gaming.

People can sniff all they want, these numbers speak for themselves. A lot of people may not see it, but Valve are the single biggest PC developer on the market (given that they develop primarily for PC rather than with sloppy console backports) and their support for gaming on Linux will make other AAA+ game developers take note.

No. What they see coming is "hey this game is available on MS' App store...I don't need to use Steam".

Nope. I mean, yes that's a part of it, but since Steam has friends and achievements, people would still buy from Steam if they're already part of the Steam system.

But, tie your Xbox into Windows, and yeah, people with Xbox live accounts will live in that ecosystem instead of Steam. Games for Windows Live is a currently poor implementation of this, but I can guarantee the next Xbox will feature all sorts of "buy it here, play on PC or tablet" connectivity.

I think Valve should just announce their Linux based console instead of trolling Windows every other day or providing fodder to anti-Microsoft-anything-they-kill-kittens trolls like simplezz

This I could get behind. I have zero interest in a Linux desktop; like it on a few of my servers but flat out hate the desktop software. A "Steam box" however would be something I'd possibly buy, plus they get to hand-pick what goes in so no rolling the dice with drivers/performance/etc.

It amuses me that people are assuming that they're doing it just because they want to pick on poor little Microsoft. Has anyone considered that they actually see a genuine future with gaming on Linux?