A little help regarding some claimed NASA report.

I read a thread on another forum I visit.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3129838

The OP is claiming that he read some NASA report in Forbes magazine that Earth left 3rd orbit on 13 March, 2012 and will go in 4th orbit on 21 December, 2012 and will collide if a planet is present there. I smelled some conspiracy BS, but then also I thought that maybe I didn't knew of such report, though it seemed pseudoscience to me. I googled the dates and orbits but nothing turned up. So, I asked him to provide some source and stop spreading misinformation. My username is freethinker112. I admit I don't know too much about solar system, but AFAIK two planets don't have coinciding orbits, and Earth will not just jump orbits. But he started bashing me and saying I have no GK(General Knowledge). I even gave him links to the articles on NASA site that says nothing is going to happen in 2012. But he didn't provide any links, saying he read it in Forbes last year, and implying he is somewhat smarter than me because I don't read "international magazines."

So, I just wanted to ask if such a report came from NASA and is true? Because, then it will be embarrassing for me. :blush:

No, please read the thread. I posted the two links you posted, but he didn't agree. Read his OP. He says that there was a NASA report which said Earth left 3rd orbit and entered 4th where it can collide with a planet. I think it's BS. I just wanted to know that is there really a report like that?

Thought so. But because I don't read Forbes, I had slight doubt about it. So no such report exists, right?

Thought so. But because I don't read Forbes, I had slight doubt about it. So no such report exists, right?

I searched for a bit on Google using a wide range of terms to see if I could find anything. Nothing came up. I searched Forbes as well and didn't find anything pertaining to the Earth changing orbit. In fact, Forbes doesn't seem to have anything regarding Nibiru either.

No, please read the thread. I posted the two links you posted, but he didn't agree. Read his OP. He says that there was a NASA report which said Earth left 3rd orbit and entered 4th where it can collide with a planet. I think it's BS. I just wanted to know that is there really a report like that?

That 3rd/4th orbit thing doesn't even make sense. He means different orbits? In what way? Distance? Excentriticity? In cronological terms?

If the Earth went up to another orbit, we would feel the difference.

Just out of curiosity...I went ahead and read the entire thread you posted. I have to say, why were you even bothering? He had no source, spells like a 13 year old girl chatting on MSN Messenger and had absolutely no idea what he was talking about....

Sorry, I just can't help but wonder why you feel this was worth any amount of effort...

That 3rd/4th orbit thing doesn't even make sense. He means different orbits? In what way? Distance? Excentriticity? In cronological terms?

If the Earth went up to another orbit, we would feel the difference.

Not only that but other planets arent exactially close, we would have to change ALOT, causing massive tidal, grav, and weather changes

I think you should have payed more attention to science class

Edit - and a planet cant just change orbit willy nilly, there would have to be a MASSIVE gravitational inluance, as in another planet, and have you seen any planet in the sky ( you WOULD see it even in daylight

As it was said, "3rd and 4th orbits" doesn't make sense. Earth has one orbit, and it orbits the sun. Also, if there was a hidden planetary body out there, we would know. When NASA sends out space probes, their trajectories are calibrated with gravitational data from all other celestial bodies in the Sol System. If there was something hiding, our probes would never make it to their destination, because this unknown body would be throwing off the probe's instruments. It's why Hubble just discovered a new moon around Pluto, it's on a scouting mission in regards to the New Horizons probe, so that we can safely navigate it around out there, without having it flung out of the Sol System or smash into anything.

There's no such thing as 'moving up an orbit', the positions of the orbits aren't set so that e.g. it can only be in position 3 or position 4, it can be ANY distance away from the planet it is orbiting, and due to the pull of the moon and other planets, Earth is (very VERY slowly) slowing down and having it's orbit altered. Will you notice the difference? Not unless you're alive for a few million years.

If we moved out as far as the orbit that mars uses then our orbit speed would change, the temperatures on Earth would plummit and other things would happen.

In no uncertain terms it's upper crap. The orbits of the planets are held by gravity, and believe me if something jarring enough to knock earth out of it's orbit were to occur we would all know about it. Plus the obvious climate changes.

The world isn't coming to an end at the end of this year, and these doomsday predictions are just stupid.

I was reminded of that Facebook update talking about how if the Earth was 10 feet closer or farther away from the Sun we would die...people really need to check up on their Science, this stuff is basic!

Note: This isn't a dig at the OP, he's done the right thing by asking for evidence rather than just accepting something he saw on the Internet. Good on you, Jim. (Y)

I was reminded of that Facebook update talking about how if the Earth was 10 feet closer or farther away from the Sun we would die...people really need to check up on their Science, this stuff is basic!

Note: This isn't a dig at the OP, he's done the right thing by asking for evidence rather than just accepting something he saw on the Internet. Good on you, Jim. (Y)

Yea i sawthat postfrom a family memb, i just facepalmed, got my sister to stop beliving in that myan crap cause i asked her if the world ended last Dec, their calendar just lasted longer where ours is 12 months.

If we had left our original orbit, we would have noticed huge weather changes already. If we had moved further away from the sun, even a little bit, we would be experiencing colder than usual weather. Instead, we're having a drought and temperatures are higher than average. I imagine the cycles of the moon would appear to change too. We're fine.

I remember hearing about something that possibly they are talking about....now I only caught the tail end of it on Television.

It seems that in 2034 Estimated date -- (this was on TLC)

Our solar system and another will pass through one another and some collision of asteroids will hit the Earth, but nothing massive enough to end life as we know it.

Also it seems as if they also believe that some of Pluto's moons will leave our orbit and shift to the other Solar system. With this change the other planets will slow down their path around the sun... This means a longer year for the earth but by no means the end of the world. (their experts also said the Earths orbit has already shifted the position and time of orbit in the path around the sun which explains the Ice Age)

That is what I heard is supposed to happen.

They would know more in 2020 said the report to further and closer predict the outcome.

I remember hearing about something that possibly they are talking about....now I only caught the tail end of it on Television.

It seems that in 2034 Estimated date -- (this was on TLC)

Our solar system and another will pass through one another and some collision of asteroids will hit the Earth, but nothing massive enough to end life as we know it.

Also it seems as if they also believe that some of Pluto's moons will leave our orbit and shift to the other Solar system. With this change the other planets will slow down their path around the sun... This means a longer year for the earth but by no means the end of the world. (their experts also said the Earths orbit has already shifted the position and time of orbit in the path around the sun which explains the Ice Age)

That is what I heard is supposed to happen.

They would know more in 2020 said the report to further and closer predict the outcome.

Um. No. Just.... No.

Precisely. The earth's orbit is elliptical, IIRC the distance from the sun varies by around a million KM between the closest and most distant parts of our orbit, so the argument that we'd fry / freeze simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

OMG!!! The Earth will be destroyed! Everyone, please do not panic. Drive safely to your nearest space port and board the next flight to Mars. Seriously though, if such an occurrence did happen, as others have said. We would have known.

Planets can change relative orbits.

But if Earth had, you'd notice a different amount of light, and a big temperature change. ;)

This idea may have originated from this:

Trojan Asteroid Shares Orbit with Earth

This animation illustrates the orbit of 2010 TK7 (green dots), the first known Earth Trojan asteroid, discovered by NEOWISE, the asteroid-hunting portion of NASA's WISE mission. Trojans are asteroids that share an orbit with a planet, circling around the sun in front of or behind the planet. They circle around stable gravity wells, called Lagrange points, which circle the sun like Earth does.

The movie follows Earth as it travels along its orbit (blue dots) around the sun, so Earth remains at the front of our view. The various objects are not drawn to scale.

Asteroid 2010 TK7 has an extreme orbit that takes the asteroid far above and below the plane of Earth's orbit. The motion above and below the plane is referred to as an epicycle. In addition, the asteroid moves within the plane of Earth's orbit in what is called libration, circling horizontally around its stable point every 395 years.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA14404

One of two possibilities here:

1) He is mental (literally)

2) You're being trolled.

Each is much more likely than the existence of a planet which we've never noticed colliding with ours based on a sudden change of our orbit.

If this report really did exist, it would be general knowledge for all of us as it'd be all over the news.

If this were the case, we would pretty much already have two suns, a second solar system would have to be that close if it were to happen in 2034.

There are however a few known close to earth objects coming by in the next 100 years, all of which have a possibility of hitting, it's too far ahead to tell.

If this were the case, we would pretty much already have two suns, it would have to be that close if it were to happen in 2034.

There are however a few known close to earth objects coming by in the next 100 years, all of which have a possibility of hitting, it's too far ahead to tell.

Supposedly They say the outer edges only will pass through. One another

um yes that was one of those what if shows on tlc based upon this dated 2085 I got the year wrong I only caught the tail end of it

http://www.nasa.gov/...ature_2085.html

No. Either you're misunderstanding, or you're thinking of something else. In the next few years, I can only think of a handful of objects Earth has a chance encounter with, and an entire solar system isn't one. In the long term picture, the Milky Way Galaxy (our home galaxy) will collide with Andromeda, but that won't be until well after Humans are gone. The nearest start to us is still Proxima Centauri, a Brown Dwarf, and it won't be coming any closer to us.

http://en.wikipedia....t-future-en.svg