Windows Phone sales jump by 277% in 2012 Q2

Data from the research firm Canalys shows that Windows Phone 7 sales jumped by 277 percent in the second quarter, but the mobile OS from Microsoft still can't touch market leaders Android and Apple iOS.

Global sales figure for smartphones, ranked by operating system, show a major leap in sales for Microsoft Windows Phone 7 devices but that its market share is still tiny compared with top sellers running Google Android and Apple iOS.

The research firm Canalys reports that sales of Windows Phone 7-powered devices jumped by 277 percent in the second quarter of 2012 to 5.1 million units, from 1.3 million in the second quarter of 2011. WP7?s market share grew to 3.2 percent from 1.2 percent a year ago.

But WP7 can?t touch the market leaders. Phones running Android are the top sellers with a 110.4 percent increase in the second quarter to 108 million units for a 68 percent share, followed by iPhones running Apple iOS with a 28 percent increase to 26 million units for a 16.4 percent share.

Microsoft can at least take solace in the fact that it?s not Research In Motion; sales of RIM?s BlackBerry smartphones fell by 32.1 percent to 8.5 million units from 12.5 million in the year ago quarter. Its market share shrank to 5.4 percent from 11.6 percent in 2011. RIM has undergone layoffs and has delayed the release of the BlackBerry 10 mobile operating system.

Phones running Nokia?s Symbian fared even worse than BlackBerry?s numbers, but that is to be expected because Nokia is phasing out the Symbian OS in favor of Windows Phone. Symbian sales fell by 64.6 percent to 6.4 million units in the second quarter, and its market share shrank to 4.1 percent from 16.8 percent a year earlier.

Total global smartphone sales rose by close to 47 percent in the second quarter to 158.3 million units from 107.7 million in the year ago quarter.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Windows-Phone-7-Sales-Are-Starting-to-Gain-Traction-Canalys-Report-147716/

These percentage increases look impressive until you realise what the starting figures were.

Still you would rather be growing then contracting at massive rate like RIM.

Still you would rather be growing then contracting at massive rate like RIM.

That's true.

Fancy seeing you here.

We keep running into each other like this ;)

Even though I may be getting an iPhone next (but could well switch back to Microsoft products when Windows 9 is released), I would love to see Windows Phone negatively affect the market share of Android. Come on, Microsoft! You can do it! Windows Phone is great and Windows Phone 8 is looking to be excellent.

in what countries though? ive yet to see anyone with a windows phone.

Its quite popular here, 3 months ago nobody knew about it, but now having lumia is "cool" thing in my college, i have seen lots of people with WP7 including 6 friends of mine.

Why is this in this section? No biggy, anyways, regardless of what the fans or the haters say one thing is clear, it's growing, slow, but it's growing. It's selling more units with each new quarter the % overall might be low because it's growing slower than the market overall but how positive growth is seen a failing is weird. Now RIM dropping like a brick was something I talked about long ago, they better do something quick, and I don't think BB10 will help but maybe just delay things. And before someone says something silly, no, android is not the answer and will not help RIM.

No surprise Android is on top. Now if apple and MS would release some cheap ass phones then they could catch up.

they better do something quick, and I don't think BB10 will help but maybe just delay things. And before someone says something silly, no, android is not the answer and will not help RIM.

No, I agree. Very little room for differentiation and growth in the Android market. It's just too saturated to do anything with but suffer more.

in what countries though? ive yet to see anyone with a windows phone.

just not looking hard enough i see them all the time

on a side note im glad there is nother OS out there means more choices

Windows Phone is still young and could use some improvements. Then again iOS and Android are by no means a shining beacon of perfection either. So far I'm loving the experience provided by my Nokia Lumia 900. I don't see myself switching to iOS or Android anytime soon. iOS went stale and is just more of the same thing. Android to me is an uncoordinated mess with ugly third-party apps and I don't care much for the phone designs either.

• Like 2