How Pro Windows 8 users want Anti Windows 8 users to use Windows 8

How can you prefer this :

http://blogs.msdn.co...00_5E72E680.png

Other that : (note that it's been slightly modified in the RTM, but you got the idea)

http://blogs.msdn.co...00_1548C5BD.png

Both are accessible through a single click and one shows more results than the other, guess which one : blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

Easy, search (which doesn't work that well in win8 for some reason). Plus I know where things are in win7. Having 100 icons on my desktop or quick launch bar, it will take me just as long, if not longer to find something than using the old start bar.

And as I said, there's more problems to win8 than just pinning icons hence why I'm (and a lot of others I know, MVPs included) are sticking with Win7.

It'll be good for tablets and if there's a decent affordable tablet that comes out I'll probably get it, possibly netbooks too (I already own one and may upgrade that). But as a Desktop OS, IMO its garbage.

Learn the new shortcuts, it's not that hard to memorize them.

That's a good solution, but he has a point. I, for one, would prefer if the results showed entries from all search sources, or at least from the ones I pin (yeah you can pin search sources)

You should pin very common desktop apps to the taskbar.

You should pin common apps to the Start Screen.

You should search for other apps you use occasionally.

Why is this so hard to understand?

That's a good solution, but he has a point. I, for one, would prefer if the results showed entries from all search sources, or at least from the ones I pin (yeah you can pin search sources)

That would be nice, and organize the search results per source but show them all.

I don't think MS is going to wait 3 years to release a new OS. My guess is that by summer 2013 we will see an update to the WinRT framework and maybe they include things like you mentioned.

They have to go to a quicker release cycle if they want to compete with Android an iOS

You prefer having files popping in the results when you are looking for an app?

Acting like a kid on the internet is easier.
  • Like 3

for the last time, windows 8 default search is worse than the ones in vista or 7.

Type in power... where is how to change power settings in 8? Oh you have to use the mouse to get that?

Type in display... the same results

The search is separated.... Metro needs a lot of tweaks, and changes way to much from the way the system was used before.

I'm looking for a way to group the search results, and make metro act as my desktop background. It needs a 'status bar'.

WXFyC.png

yDw56.png

I don't get what you mean by where is anything. Its all there.

• Like 2

Well, this thread is pointless. You can just pin everything to your taskbar in Windows 7 too and avoid Windows 8 completely. This won't convince anyone to upgrade.

No, I just want them to stop complaining and whining because it's different, or that Windows 8 will fail because they don't like it, 3 of their friends and their Uncle Cletus dont like it either.

Why should we change how we've been using the PC since Windows 95 just because Microsoft decided to change the OS for the sake of changing it and not for any credible reason?

Why should we change how we've been using the PC since Windows 95 just because Microsoft decided to change the OS for the sake of changing it and not for any credible reason?

So you don't like change, we get it

Hey, you shouldn't. If you are so stuck in your ways you are unable to adapt to a new interface and would prefer to use one nearly 20 years old then Microsoft has an OS just for you. It's called Windows 7. Unless you bitched when they changed the start menu layout when XP was launched, too, in which case Windows 2000 or Me might be best suited to your needs.

@Warwagon: I found the OP to be hilarious, but I must observe that there's a nifty app called Bins that would make it much cleaner when pinning that many apps than doubling the size of the taskbar.

I get it. But it wasn't like WOW warwagon did it! It was like, give him props..and move on :shifty:

Metro lovers JUST DON'T get it. A lot of people find opening the full screen Start "Menu" to search for or open programs JARRING. Instead of the clean, small and elegant menu like before, you now are forced to see it fill up the ENTIRE screen! And the bigger the monitor, the worse the effect!

I get it. I just think it's a crap complaint.

The Start Menu is anything but clean and it's small size is the reason why it needs fixing.

So you don't like change, we get it

Hey, you shouldn't. If you are so stuck in your ways you are unable to adapt to a new interface and would prefer to use one nearly 20 years old then Microsoft has an OS just for you. It's called Windows 7. Unless you bitched when they changed the start menu layout when XP was launched, too, in which case Windows 2000 or Me might be best suited to your needs.

@Warwagon: I found the OP to be hilarious, but I must observe that there's a nifty app called Bins that would make it much cleaner when pinning that many apps than doubling the size of the taskbar.

Never said I didn't like change, I just don't like change for the sake of change, there is nothing that Metro does that Windows 7 cannot do, all for the sake of trying to appeal to the iPad crowd.

I would just stick with Windows 7 but 8 has a lot of under the hood improvements that I would lose for the sake of Metro, its ridiculous.

Ok let me explain the joke. In EVERY thread all the pro metro users tell the anti Metro users.... If you don't like the Metro screen "It's simple!!! Just pin the apps you use to your taskbar!"

No, what we say is if you don't want to use Windows 8 then don't. Simple. We'll use it and enjoy it.

Another purposefully moronic flame video. He, of course, ignored the fact that you can just press the down arrow, then enter to switch to the settings category instead of the apps category.

A lot of people slating Windows 8 seem to forget it's not primarily aimed at you (or anyone else who is very adept with Windows), it's aimed at people who aren't experienced or expert at using computers. It's aimed at people who just want to quickly get what they need, i.e. Web, Facebook, E-Mail, News, etc. Which is the majority of computer users, that's why it's not aimed at you. It's aimed at people who don't really see the need to go flicking about in the control panel everyday, if their computer works then they just use it. Which is the MAJORITY of users.

If you feel the need to have an OS aimed specifically at you, then make one.

We completed a study with regards to the costs of upgrading to Windows 8 where I work, over 40,000 users. Just the training portion of that study was well into the 6 figures to get users comfortable and competant in using it. Final decision hasn't been made but looks like my workplace won't be upgrading any time soon either.

No, what we say is if you don't want to use Windows 8 then don't. Simple. We'll use it and enjoy it.

No, I'm pretty sure I read a lot of "Pin it to the taskbar reply's"

• Like 1

Never said I didn't like change, I just don't like change for the sake of change, there is nothing that Metro does that Windows 7 cannot do

Actually, the All Programs menu in Windows 8 can display everything installed on the computer on a single screen, without any scrolling and without needing to click to expand folders; it can't do that in Windows 7. Windows 7 can't display live tiles, you can't change the background colour / pattern, you can't pin as many programs to it, etc. The start screen in Windows 8 does more than is possible in Windows 7.

You may not like the changes but it offers improved functionality and customisability over Windows 7.

Never said I didn't like change, I just don't like change for the sake of change, there is nothing that Metro does that Windows 7 cannot do, all for the sake of trying to appeal to the iPad crowd.

I would just stick with Windows 7 but 8 has a lot of under the hood improvements that I would lose for the sake of Metro, its ridiculous.

I only somewhat agree. I don't miss the start menu, but I'm not a gigantic metro fan, either. I'm used to it after having my Windows Phone for so long, but it isn't the same on Windows, either. However, I don't go into every Windows 8 thread simply to state that I don't like it and won't use it. Most of the time those posts are completely irrelevant to the topic at hand and have become tiresome and irritating. I'll use Windows 8, I'll adapt to the new UI, if I absolutely have to I'll use a 3rd party app launcher, and I won't be trolling every Windows 8 thread bitching about the extremely minor inconvenience it's causing me. Maybe MS made Metro for no apparent reason, or maybe they had a great reason that is just incomprehensible to us; regardless of how and why it came to be about it's here now and there's nothing to be done about it except deal with it until Windows 9 comes out (which will more than likely not bring back the start menu) or stick with an older OS. I plan to just deal with it.
  • Like 3

I'd love to know what the point of starting a new Windows 8 thread was when there's already a 38 page thread on it.