What is the name of your WiFi Network (SSID)?

Does it really matter? Look up my name in the white pages and you've got my address and phone number too. Privacy is overrated.

Oh God its Mr.AntiPrivacy going at it again.

Mine are g33k and l33t. The first one I used when I configured my parents wireless and the other one is mine. ^.^

So for example from l33t in Sweden, I find 18 in the list that are close.. some are not same case, did he post his correct case? Has he posted what router he has in any other posts? I see 9 with that ssid not counting case. But only 1 with case -- so is this your house nabz0r? ;)

Its a TP router

post-14624-0-91276500-1345755435_thumb.j

Haha, nope that is not my house besides that is not Sweden, it's Danmark for your info. :p

Shoot - I put in too large of range of long and lats then.. hmmm let me narrow it down.

I don't see any that match up in Sweden for long and lat, all around there Denmark and Norway -- but don't see any with that specific ssid in Sweden.

Would of been great to stop at your door with Some Cold beers -- you would of **** your pants. If I stopped by and say hey its Budman From neowin. Lets drink these cold ones ;)

budman... there are 5-8 APs detectable by my phone alone and nearly 30 in my block and I'm in mid density suburb... not quite a desert. the site shows 5 and none of the SSIDs match.

Shoot - I put in too large of range of long and lats then.. hmmm let me narrow it down.

I don't see any that match up in Sweden for long and lat, all around there Denmark and Norway -- but don't see any with that specific ssid in Sweden.

Would of been great to stop at your door with Some Cold beers -- you would of **** your pants. If I stopped by and say hey its Budman From neowin. Lets drink these cold ones ;)

Haha, I would be shocked as hell, but let me know when you are here and I'll pick you up from the airport. :p

And the reason you don't find it in Sweden is that it is off of work for now because I am moving every now and then until I find a place of my own. ;)

Your just not comprehending it - I give up.. What part do you not get? Maybe a guy just drove through your neck of the woods and is 30 seconds away from uploading it and then a 30 of them in your block will be listed. Maybe he will do it tmrw. Does your phone find your location via wireless and not gps or cell tower? Then there is a database with the correct info there.

So your logic is that since your area is not updated, that all the data there is outdated or wrong? Does everyone live on your block that are posting their ssids? I can tell you for sure that if I look up mine - one entry comes up. And its SPOT ON for location. So if I would post my ssid, you would know within 1 house where I live.

and there are trolls too budman.

and I just renamed mine to Future Trance 61..... try to find that in a few days. I CHALLENGE YOU!!!

Dude you just don't get it.. Are you going to cycle the name every day? Does everyone that is posting theirs do that?

So that is it your trolling me - is that why your not getting it? ;)

No, I get it, you're just being too paranoid and making too big of a deal about people posting thier SSIDs. k?

and I'not trolling. I changed it becuase I cannot wait for Future Trance 61 it's gonna be awesome!!!!!!!!!!

heheheheh -- yeah you got me, I am completely incompetent.. There is no database at wigle.net that can look up ssids and point out their location on a map.

I have no clue about networking or computers, I am really a fry cook at kfc -- I have been found out.

You must be right -- mac addresses are forwarded on through every hop in a route to any server on the internet. And sure your router could block me by my mac, that must be how the major players do it.

"Knowing someone's MAC address can be used to bypass potential MAC filtering"

Or oh wait, is it that routers strip out the mac out on every hop and replaces it with its own and the next hop -- maybe that's it ;) I think they mentioned that between how to reset the time on the fries and explain the difference between dark and white meat in my kfc training. How did they word it now??? Something about source and destination mac addresses within the frame change at each hop. I don't get it all due to my incompetence.

I mean just look at a sniff of traffic back from neowin isn't it cool how you can see their mac address in the packet.. Oh wait, no you can't -- that's your routers lan interface mac. So yeah blocking on mac is very effective :rolleyes: Can it be used for control on a lan to prevent someone from connecting to a switch, sure - can it be used to control access to wireless network. Again sure! Can these be spoofed in 2 seconds, sure. They are nice is say keeping your kids laptop off your wireless network or kicking it off at bedtime sort of thing. But since mac address is local network only, I would have to be local to your network -- so knowing your mac is kind of useless, unless is was say the mac address of the wireless radio that could be used search a database for the location of said network.

Oh whatever, thats just my incompetence rambling on again ;)

Time to stop the tin foil hat crap guys.. honestly. No one gives a **** where you live. And if anyones trying to track you down over the internet they aren't going to wait until you post your SSID and hopefully track you down via that when there is 50 quicker options.

My real adress is

1/14 Coolgardie ST

Corrimal NSW

My SSID is

Free WiFi

(appears unprotected to the masses but its not :laugh: )

you would of **** your pants. If I stopped by and say hey its Budman From neowin. Lets drink these cold ones ;)

So would the guy that lives at the first address you found if you had just showed up :p

heheheheh -- yeah you got me, I am completely incompetent.. There is no database at wigle.net that can look up ssids and point out their location on a map.

I have no clue about networking or computers, I am really a fry cook at kfc -- I have been found out.

You must be right -- mac addresses are forwarded on through every hop in a route to any server on the internet. And sure your router could block me by my mac, that must be how the major players do it.

"Knowing someone's MAC address can be used to bypass potential MAC filtering"

Or oh wait, is it that routers strip out the mac out on every hop and replaces it with its own and the next hop -- maybe that's it ;) I think they mentioned that between how to reset the time on the fries and explain the difference between dark and white meat in my kfc training. How did they word it now??? Something about source and destination mac addresses within the frame change at each hop. I don't get it all due to my incompetence.

I mean just look at a sniff of traffic back from neowin isn't it cool how you can see their mac address in the packet.. Oh wait, no you can't -- that's your routers lan interface mac. So yeah blocking on mac is very effective :rolleyes: Can it be used for control on a lan to prevent someone from connecting to a switch, sure - can it be used to control access to wireless network. Again sure! Can these be spoofed in 2 seconds, sure. They are nice is say keeping your kids laptop off your wireless network or kicking it off at bedtime sort of thing. But since mac address is local network only, I would have to be local to your network -- so knowing your mac is kind of useless, unless is was say the mac address of the wireless radio that could be used search a database for the location of said network.

Oh whatever, thats just my incompetence rambling on again ;)

BudMan! I have a question. You said that hiding SSID isn't enough, because everything else is broadcasting. Is it possible to shut that down so there is no way to get the SSID?

I really liked to read your stuff. People still won't get it.... :)