• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Are WinRT apps 'tablet apps'?

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rickkins    283

This doesn't add to your credibility. I've been using nothing but Modern apps on my notebook for the past week since I've started back at school, and so far, they're working wonderfully. The only time I see the desktop is to use Word and Excel.

Coming from you, your response is completely meaningless, as you have been one of metro's most ardent proponents, in the most extreme sense. Not once in any of your postings have you shown even the slightest understanding of the arguments against it.(metro)

Shane Nokes    739

They were designed for tablets. Period.

How do they work on my desktop perfectly well then? I actually got one of my best Fruit Ninja scores on this desktop with a mouse. Odd how that works if it's '...designed for tablets. Period.'

That's are far off-topic as I'm willing to go.

I still think this thread is getting way too far derailed...although I am glad the OP figured it out and has solved their issue.

• Like 1

MFH    177
How do they work on my desktop perfectly well then?

They work - currently using RTM on VMware - but the long "mouse ways" sure are atypical for desktop applications

@Leo    170

How do they work on my desktop perfectly well then? I actually got one of my best Fruit Ninja scores on this desktop with a mouse. Odd how that works if it's '...designed for tablets. Period.'

And iOS apps work "perfectly well" on the iOS simulator - does it mean they are designed for it also?

That's are far off-topic as I'm willing to go.

I still think this thread is getting way too far derailed...although I am glad the OP figured it out and has solved their issue.

I don't see what the problem is. Would you be happier if another topic got started?

Shane Nokes    739

They work - currently using RTM on VMware - but the long "mouse ways" sure are atypical for desktop applications

That was my point. I was questioning his statement that they were '...designed for tablets. Period,' since it works just fine for me.

And iOS apps work "perfectly well" on the iOS simulator - does it mean they are designed for it also?

I don't see what the problem is. Would you be happier if another topic got started?

So now you're comparing a full OS on an actual machine to a simulator? Wow...

...and the problem is that this is thread hijacking which is against the rules...so yes I would prefer another topic dedicated to this point be started, so that no one gets in trouble.

• Like 1

Julius Caro    55

Lol, right click on it and press uninstall... Was that so hard to figure out? And FYI they are not "tablet apps"

oh FFS. not even microsoft can agree on what to call these now. metro, modern, formerly-known-as-metro, windows 8 style.

and tablet app is not even a gross inaccuracy.

MFH    177

That was my point. I was questioning his statement that they were '...designed for tablets. Period,' since it works just fine for me.

I'd say they are usable. But the spacing and the big amount of space between the single controls annoys me a bit... Surely the term "touch first" fits the new UI perfectly. Whereas Windows up to 7 was "touch second"...

• Like 1

Active.    1,695

They're also generally missing drag&drop operations, hide menus and buttons, offer little contextual menu support and force multi-step operations for otherwise simple tasks.

@Leo    170

So now you're comparing a full OS on an actual machine to a simulator? Wow...

Wow yourself. My point stands; just because something works, does not mean it is designed for it.

MFH    177

They're also generally missing drag&drop operations, hide menus and buttons, offer little contextual menu support and force multi-step operations for otherwise simple tasks.

Totally agree. Furthermore they are completely isolated from the desktop: for example you can't drag a file from the desktop into a Metro application, which I call major BS!

Julius Caro    55

As I mention, all of that indicates that the person hasn't bothered to try to understand Windows 8, the reasons for the changes, and how it works :) I'm not suggesting anyone has to think this new Windows experience is better or that they should agree that the changes are good for the desktop formfactor, but I feel that everyone should try to understand Microsoft's viewpoint and what they intended, rather than resorting to false labels ("tablet apps") and misunderstanding (expecting apps in Windows 8 to work like they did in previous versions of Windows).

Are you suggesting that people should get a lecture on Microsoft viewpoint and philosophy before using the OS and asking questions about it? That's not how it should work. Not even Microsoft have come up with a standarised way of reffering to non-desktop apps. First it was Metro, now it's not. Then again, Office 2013 is very "metro", yet it's still a desktop app.

From a corporate view point, Microsoft should become aware that when people are misusing the terms, it's not because people have FAILED to try to understand Microsoft's viewpoint. It's because Microsoft has failed to either understand how the user/consumer thinks, or has failed to get the PROPER message to the consumer.

I'm all for windows 8, but going against the people that use the OS is not a solution.

• Like 1

MFH    177

Not even Microsoft have come up with a standarised way of reffering to non-desktop apps.

Well. that's kind of a tradition, just think about the term "system tray"...

@Leo    170

Well. that's kind of a tradition, just think about the term "system tray"...

What is ambiguous about it exactly? I know exactly what it is and where it is, and how to call it.

Anthonyd    104

Are you suggesting that people should get a lecture on Microsoft viewpoint and philosophy before using the OS and asking questions about it? That's not how it should work. Not even Microsoft have come up with a standarised way of reffering to non-desktop apps. First it was Metro, now it's not. Then again, Office 2013 is very "metro", yet it's still a desktop app.

I think you should get a lecture about design language, because you are confusing the programming language with the design language.

Julius Caro    55

I think you should get a lecture about design language, because you are confusing the programming language with the design language.

How am I even introducing programming languages into the equation?

Dot Matrix    7,414

Coming from you, your response is completely meaningless, as you have been one of metro's most ardent proponents, in the most extreme sense. Not once in any of your postings have you shown even the slightest understanding of the arguments against it.(metro)

I understand perfectly the arguments against it. But considering that the role of a PC has expanded beyond a huge box that sits on your desk, the are many many scenarios where the desktop UI isn't cutting it anymore, and a new way of doing things is needed. I installed an Home Theater PC this week for my room in my apartment. Considering that my TV is bigger than any PC monitor out there, the desktop UI is not meant for it. I have to raise the DPI to 200% just to see anything from my couch, and then I have to use a friggin mouse to click on the icons just to get to Media Center. I have since installed Windows 8, gotten rid of the desktop and desktop apps, and use nothing but the "so-called" tablet only apps that people hate so much. They're working 100,000,000,000,000x better thanthe desktop apps even did. The new Start screen adjusts itself to my screens's resolution, and for once, I can see the friggin icons I'm clicking on. Better yet, Metro IE has been the best browser for using with the HTPC.

I blew away all desktop apps and the desktop tile on my laptop, again, here I do not miss the desktop apps in the least bit. I have been just as productive at school using nothing but Modern apps as I was using the old desktop. Which brings in the Surface Pro and related tablets. If I can live in Modern on a laptop, I can certainly do the same on a convertible as well, again, negating the need for the desktop at all. How about PCs connected to kiosks? ATMs, etc. I'd imagine, Windows Embedded is going to be nothing but Modern fairly soon. Since embedded PC serve a single function, the desktop is wasted on them.

So tell me again why the desktop is almighty? Because the more you look at it, the more the desktop is looking outdated, old, and depreciated.

• Like 1

MFH    177

What is ambiguous about it exactly? I know exactly what it is and where it is, and how to call it.

Because accoring to Microsoft the term "system tray" is meaningless. It's a made-up name by users that has no assossiation to the officlal term "notification area". (see: http://blogs.msdn.co...9/10/54831.aspx)

@Dot Matrix: are you really using Windows 8 as a HTPC (I ask as it lacks Media Center...)

@Leo    170

Because accoring to Microsoft the term "system tray" is meaningless. It's a made-up name by users that has no assossiation to the officlal term "notification area". (see: http://blogs.msdn.co...9/10/54831.aspx)

I see what you mean, but even "notification area" is a logical and known name. :)

MFH    177

I see what you mean, but even "notification area" is a logical and known name. :)

True, but I bet that you more often hear the term "tray" than the term "notification area"...

Think about it, even people that know the official term will use the inoffical one if they talk to "normal" users...

Personally I still prefer the term "Metro UI" for the new UI as it's based on the Metro Design Language and every alternative we have heard 'till now was simply stupid (IMHO)...

Shane Nokes    739

@Dot Matrix: are you really using Windows 8 as a HTPC (I ask as it lacks Media Center...)

Actually only Raymond Chen said that.

Microsoft uses the term in their official documentation at times, as evidenced by this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176085

MFH    177

Actually only Raymond Chen said that.

Microsoft uses the term in their official documentation at times, as evidenced by this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176085

Thanks for that link, so it seems even MS and their evangelist can't decide 100% on how to call anything :)

Shane Nokes    739

Thanks for that link, so it seems even MS and their evangelist can't decide 100% on how to call anything :)

When it comes to official answers, I take support documentation (that has be cleared before posting) over the blog comments of the evangelist.

I won't call that my 'official' answer, but you can read between the lines. ;)

Calum    819

Posts moved.

This is the new thread for this discussion that originally began in a support thread. Please feel free to continue the discussion here :)

@Leo    170

Good job Calum, thanks. Perhaps a poll is in order? :p

• Like 1

Calum    819

Good job Calum, thanks. Perhaps a poll is in order? :p

Thanks!

Good idea. I'll add it now :D

EDIT: Poll added :) Thanks for the suggestion, @Leo.