Peanut butter and jelly sandwich confiscated

Indeed, and they draw the line at the one that's the biggest risk..

Being Lactose intolerant is generally mind, and requires drinking the milk.. Shellfish isn't common in schools at all.. I doubt they are releasing bee's in the school, etc.. Peanut Allergies are common, can be deadly, and can be caused by being too close to it, touching it, or eating it. It just makes sense for Peanuts to be banned.

I was just using those for examples. I can't possibly list everything kids are allergic to. Milk can cause anaphylaxis, also. Along with wheat and eggs.

http://en.wikipedia....naphylaxis#Food

How many children die in schools a year from eating peanuts? How many people die each year from food allergies combined? Not very many. Out of all those people, how many are kids and at school when that happens? Use common sense. We should also ban cars because a kid could hit by one. I'd say that happens more than dying from peanut allergies.

People can die from medications. Should we ban them, also.

Get real.

I was just using those for examples. I can't possibly list everything kids are allergic to. Milk can cause anaphylaxis, also. Along with wheat and eggs.

http://en.wikipedia....naphylaxis#Food

Peanut allergies are worse and more common.

People can die from medications. Should we ban them, also.

Medications are controlled, and some are outright banned. They're also quite easy to lock up away from kids.

Get real.

And like I and others have pointed out. It has less to do with protecting the kids than it does about covering their asses from lawsuits.

Go look at how many random products in your daily life have warning labels on them. Do you really need a warning label on a cup of coffee to tell you that its hot? Do you really need them on cars to tell you that they can kill you? How about on candles to tell you that they're inedible? The reason those labels exist are because the company has gotten sued in the past or are just covering themselves from future lawsuits that, being in America, will happen.

Don't blame the school. Blame the lack of common sense / responsibility that's led to the sue happy culture of this country.

• Like 1

Let's see, some parents freak out that the school bans a deadly allergen that can KILL kids by being in contact, or general vicinity of, but all that doesn't matter cause little Johnny needs his quick PB&J sandwich.

How about if their kids where the ones that can DIE from this item, would they be crusading against the ban, and would they shrug and tell others to worry about it? I wonder???

Granted, as the kids get older, they can manage it better themselves, but there does need to be a safe place that can house the kids, if that means PB free areas in the school, or the whole school, I think that is a fair price to keep kids from you know, DYING.

How do you know some little asshat won't try to give peanut products to an allergic kid or smear it on him/her or spike his/her food with it when turned away?

Controlling it is the responsible thing to do.

Spotting a liberal 101: the system needs to protect you, from literally everything.

If the number were really one out of every twenty-five people were allergic to peanuts, then I might actually believe this is necessary. However, when I was still in HS, I went to a school with just over 300 people graduating in my class alone, and there was only one person with a peanut allergy, in the entire school, and he was in my grade (for those bad at math, that's 1 in around 1,200). You know what we did? Nothing. You know what happened to him? Nothing.

The school even served peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, sealed in plastic bags, for lunch in the lunch line. Other kids routinely ate PB&Js around the allergic kid (not right next to). He had a severe allergy, and he had ended up in the hospital on numerous occasions outside of school, related to him unknowingly eating peanuts. The school had the bright idea to educate the other students, and it worked.

I genuinely feel bad for kids, particularly with severe allergies like moloko mentioned about his own son, but it's not right to away peanut butter, which does not have a dust that flies throughout the air, simply because someone may have an issue with it. The teachers need to be proactive in the early years, and the education needs to be there in the older years. It's no different than any other disability: you make it work. You don't make everyone else work for you.

It's not at all fair to block peanuts, but not other foods. And with that level of nannying in play, that's just insane when they're all roughly on the same playing field.

• People shouldn't be allowed to have cats at home either, because I know some people with cat allergies, and the cat dander may touch them.
  • People shouldn't be allowed to drink or be served dairy products, because there are kids allergic to dairy, and some might spill onto them.
  • People shouldn't be allowed to eat fish, because other kids are severely allergic (fortunately less likely an issue with kids, as kids tend to like fish less than adults).
  • People shouldn't be allowed to eat candy, because some kids have diabetes.

I have a friend that is severely allergic to tomatoes (among a lot of other odd foods that I wasn't aware allergies existed for), so should I avoid eating anything tomato based around him? No. I can be aware of his allergy, while still being allowed to continue living my own life.

To be fair to the other side, this can be a deathly serious problem:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/AllergiesFood/allergic-girl-died-school-peanut-child/story?id=15341841#.UFTr542PV8E

As the video details though, there was no EpiPen, which every adult walks around with whenever they have such an allergy. Why don't the teachers watching over these kids, particularly in a lunch and class room?

Let's see, some parents freak out that the school bans a deadly allergen that can KILL kids by being in contact, or general vicinity of, but all that doesn't matter cause little Johnny needs his quick PB&J sandwich.

How about if their kids where the ones that can DIE from this item, would they be crusading against the ban, and would they shrug and tell others to worry about it? I wonder???

Granted, as the kids get older, they can manage it better themselves, but there does need to be a safe place that can house the kids, if that means PB free areas in the school, or the whole school, I think that is a fair price to keep kids from you know, DYING.

Look at how many actually die from this, and then get back to us. About 10 times more kids die every year from drowning than the TOTAL that die from food allergies. That's TOTAL, not kids at school.

I can understand what -Razorfold said about the lawsuits, though. More kids die in sports related incidents, but we still have sports.

I just saw pickypg's post and that's about spot-on too.

I can understand what -Razorfold said about the lawsuits, though. More kids die in sports related incidents, but we still have sports.

Probably because as long as there was no foul play involved the lawsuit would get thrown out of court faster than a bullet.

As the video details though, there was no EpiPen, which every adult walks around with whenever they have such an allergy. Why don't the teachers watching over these kids, particularly in a lunch and class room?

Responsibility doesn't exist anymore. It's too much work to be an actual parent and educate your kids, or be a good teacher and look out for them.

It is the same thing as a bee sting for some. My son has an epi-pen there at the school in case some retarded parent gives there kid a peanut product and they just happen to touch my son. someone touched him one time that just had a peanut product and he swelled up and had issues breathing. so big deal?

Awesome, so someone gives their child something that your child is allergic to and they are retarded? I think you need to look in the mirror...

Awesome, so someone gives their child something that your child is allergic to and they are retarded? I think you need to look in the mirror...

The problem is children will inevitably trade or try each others lunches, which I can understand though I don't agree with the school having this policy.

I don't agree with it more of an understanding-- I can remember my days of school- where it was-

But I guess those days are gone.

Now school kids have to go through security with the mandatory lunch check.

I have a severe allergy to the DAU C 1 protein in raw carrots and birch trees, so severe that once I ate some cole slaw and it took an Epi-Pen and hospitalization to open my airways - damned near killed me. I can't even opena bag of pre-mixed salad containing carrots without my throat swelling, sneezing & my eyes turning red.

Funny thing is the allergy only showed up when I was ~27, and before that I loved carrot sticks. Go figure.

The point is my only defense is cooking carrots, which destroys the protein, or outright avoidance which is easy at home. A peanut-allergic student in the (supposedly) controlled environment of a school can hardly avoid them without the schools intervention - which is what happened here. Deal with it.

• Like 3

Look at how many actually die from this, and then get back to us. About 10 times more kids die every year from drowning than the TOTAL that die from food allergies. That's TOTAL, not kids at school.

You're point?

Are you saying that schools would also need to ban pools? Cause that is what we are talking about, schools.

if your kid can die from my kid eating a peanut KEEP THEM AT HOME

because what if little billy eats a peanut at home goes outside to play at home and breaths or touches another boy and he dies what than

what they should do is get rid of the peanut for every 1

if your kid can die from my kid eating a peanut KEEP THEM AT HOME

because what if little billy eats a peanut at home goes outside to play at home and breaths or touches another boy and he dies what than

what they should do is get rid of the peanut for every 1

Shut up.

• Like 3

I have a severe allergy to the DAU C 1 protein in raw carrots and birch trees, so severe that once I ate some cole slaw and it took an Epi-Pen and hospitalization to open my airways - damned near killed me. I can't even opena bag of pre-mixed salad containing carrots without my throat swelling, sneezing & my eyes turning red.

Funny thing is the allergy only showed up when I was ~27, and before that I loved carrot sticks. Go figure.

The point is my only defense is cooking carrots, which destroys the protein, or outright avoidance which is easy at home. A peanut-allergic student in the (supposedly) controlled environment of a school can hardly avoid them without the schools intervention - which is what happened here. Deal with it.

As someone who carries an epi pen everywhere and has allergies, but job is not to accommodate you anymore than eating far away from you. The school should not be banning it.

I have a severe peanut/sesame seed allergy which can cause my airways to close in literally 5 mins - I understand the opinion of some saying "why should our non-allergy kids loose out" - but the problem here is they are KIDS, food fights etc...in an adult environment then its not an issue as its taken seriously and you just keep your distance from somebody eating them...schools have bullies, bullies dont care...they will use this against an allergy sufferer which is the problem!! so to erradicate the issue, they ban them! If the kids were not STUPID and didnt mess about then there would be no problem!! The school also doesnt want a kids death on its hands because some other pupil decided to be a little s**t and torment the kid ...

• Like 1

I have a severe peanut/sesame seed allergy which can cause my airways to close in literally 5 mins - I understand the opinion of some saying "why should our non-allergy kids loose out" - but the problem here is they are KIDS, food fights etc...in an adult environment then its not an issue as its taken seriously and you just keep your distance from somebody eating them...schools have bullies, bullies dont care...they will use this against an allergy sufferer which is the problem!! so to erradicate the issue, they ban them! If the kids were not STUPID and didnt mess about then there would be no problem!! The school also doesnt want a kids death on its hands because some other pupil decided to be a little s**t and torment the kid ...

Disagreed wholeheartedly, Peanut allergy is incredibly uncommon and overblown and effect under half of one percent of the population or (.4%) and out of that, the ones who has a hypersensitivity as you described is about 10%. That said, society should not bend over backwards to accommodate .04% of the population. Modern science also came to the conclusion that most people with a "peanut allergy" where suffering from a "mass psychogenic illness" rather than an allergy. Interpreted, most people fake allergies. It has also been figured out that it is impossible to get an anaphylactic reaction from touching peanuts and the systems would be minor and localized. Scientific studies blame mass hysteria (read stupidity) for this. Only 10 people die a year from peanut allergy's. This means that practically every single thing you do including walking down the street is more of a common cause of death. PEanut butter smell or odor cannot cause a sever reaction, so says

Young, Michael C.. The Peanut Allergy Answer Book: 2nd Edition. Fair Winds Press.

This is just like the vaccine scare, with the difference being more of you bought into it.

1.next the parents will ask for every door to be removed in school so little billy doesn't have to touch one

2.than every kid will have to wear a suit for all the normal kids little billy will be fine

3.and when the PARENTS do wise the heck up and say little billy u have a bad peanut allergy so when u go to school don't touch or eat anything but your lunch when its time to play out side u stay in a room because to keep u safe your not aloud to be around other kids in the long run home school billy so or regular kids can enjoy school without all these RULES

1.next the parents will ask for every door to be removed in school so little billy doesn't have to touch one

2.than every kid will have to wear a suit for all the normal kids little billy will be fine

3.and when the PARENTS do wise the heck up and say little billy u have a bad peanut allergy so when u go to school don't touch or eat anything but your lunch when its time to play out side u stay in a room because to keep u safe your not aloud to be around other kids in the long run home school billy so or regular kids can enjoy school without all these RULES

Except no..

Also this isn't new, schools have been banning peanut products for upwards of two decades now.. it hasn't snowballed into the end of civilization, and probably has saved a few lives.

• Like 2

Disagreed wholeheartedly, Peanut allergy is incredibly uncommon and overblown and effect under half of one percent of the population or (.4%) and out of that, the ones who has a hypersensitivity as you described is about 10%. That said, society should not bend over backwards to accommodate .04% of the population. Modern science also came to the conclusion that most people with a "peanut allergy" where suffering from a "mass psychogenic illness" rather than an allergy. Interpreted, most people fake allergies. It has also been figured out that it is impossible to get an anaphylactic reaction from touching peanuts and the systems would be minor and localized. Scientific studies blame mass hysteria (read stupidity) for this. Only 10 people die a year from peanut allergy's. This means that practically every single thing you do including walking down the street is more of a common cause of death. PEanut butter smell or odor cannot cause a sever reaction, so says

This is just like the vaccine scare, with the difference being more of you bought into it.

I am not going to say some people don't "fake" it, why they would i really don't know, however, its actually 10 people in the USA only, not the world....its not the allergy itself that is the problem, its the reaction...Anaphylaxis is the issue (the reaction type) which can be life threatening, as i have experienced. The other issue is that no doctor is willing to test if you are still suffering with this due to the severity of the reaction..

also, i never said just the smell or odor could cause a reaction ...however what if a school bully had eaten some, had some on their hand and either touched the other kids food or something like that, or grabbed his hand and it left even a trace on his hand?

I also don't think most people FAKE a peanut allergy! "Yes lets FAKE a potentially life threatening illness"...WTF??!!

God, it would be fun to see how you would think if you had a child with this...i think your opinion might change slightly! everybody has a right to their child being in a safe environment at school! Try being a parent and worrying the hell out of urself thinking "Will my child be OK today" as it is a bloody serious thing! Other illnesses/ailments are accommodated for...why not 1 more?

How the hell is society bending over bloody backwards to accommodate?! All they have asked is not to use 1 type of filler for sandwiches...that's all...not like they are removing them all together!!! Out of school, a person with an allergy can look after themselves....

yes but no just the kid who has the allergy

So a person in a wheelchair can be accommodated for, but someone with an allergy has to stay at home....spin it the other way round....would that be acceptable in society?...tell all people in wheelchairs they cant attend schools??

You're point?

Are you saying that schools would also need to ban pools? Cause that is what we are talking about, schools.

I'm not saying that schools would, but that's what a lot of people are basically saying. Some schools have pools for swim meets, etc..And that's no different than any other sport where a child could be killed. I'm saying banning things like that are ridiculous, but it's a fact that more kids die in sports than die from food allergies, let alone peanuts.

how about take the trolling down a notch and actually read what is written?

I'm not saying that schools would, but that's what a lot of people are basically saying. Some schools have pools for swim meets, etc..And that's no different than any other sport where a child could be killed. I'm saying banning things like that are ridiculous, but it's a fact that more kids die in sports than die from food allergies, let alone peanuts.

your analogies are not accurate. A child does not have to do those sports, or swim, or whatever, they do however, have to be subjected to being touched or around something that can kill them outright. I don't care how 'few' deaths occur compared to other circumstances, it is inane for anyone to think that their rights to eat PB&Js outweigh a person's right to LIVE.

While people talk about liberalism, freedoms and nanny states, they never stop to think how the other side's rights are being trampled and spit on.

• Like 1