Anyone else into symphonic metal?

I haven't listened to Nightwish in so long. You may also enjoy Avantasia

I had a hard time getting in to Avantasia, I generally prefer a female lead vocalist but I have some exceptions like Hammerfall. But they are more in the Power Metal Genre. Just as good in many circumstances.

Its crazy, Ever since Nightwish replaced Tarja with Annette I was a little disappointed, but I love nightwish so I bought tickets for their American tour and low and behold Annette up and quits 2 days before the concert and I didnt know this but they got Floor Jansen to fill in. I about fell over when she walked out instead of Annette. Good times. From the show.

I am a big fan of symphonic metal. And I am actually quite upset that Anette is gone. Anybody that knows music would know how badly off key Tarja was. Just because she had an opera style did not make her divine. Anette was more of a pop style, but she had a larger range and was more accurate.

I do like a bit of it. Apocalyptica, Believer, Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

I got to see Trans-Siberian a few years ago. I hate sit down concerts, I wanted to get up and jump around, lol.

This has to be my favorite "symphonic" metal song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-prEU9_10

I like that song! I barely missed Trans-Siberian orchestra but my nephew got to go!.

I am a big fan of symphonic metal. And I am actually quite upset that Anette is gone. Anybody that knows music would know how badly off key Tarja was. Just because she had an opera style did not make her divine. Anette was more of a pop style, but she had a larger range and was more accurate.

So as to not start a flamewar, Im gonna ignore this comment :D . Well I will say this, she did not sing Opera to metal in Nightwish and Metal Opera is what the less musically inclined believe, her vocal range was not developed enough for opera during the Nightwish days. She is a soprano singer and did not fully develop her vocal range with Nightwish. She now does 3 Octaves. Not only does Tarja have a higher note range than Annete, I would say many of the Nightwish fans prefer the Timbre differences with Tarja. However, she now does perform classical pieces and does a good job at that. But how could you like Annette? I mean her high note vocal range was truly limited in comparison to Tarja and the Timbre was terrible. Thoumas has even admitted this, not only that she left the band for selfish reasons. How do you feel about Floor Jansen stepping in?

You could search also for the old After Forever (Prison of Desire & Decipher with a certain Floor Jansen), for Within Temptation, for Elis (Griefshire), for Delain (Lucidity)

Epica ... I prerfer the previous album 'Design your universe' over 'Requiem for the indifferent'

The sad thing with symphonic metal is that the genre is a bit slow right now: there used to be many more bands around ....

You could search also for the old After Forever (Prison of Desire & Decipher with a certain Floor Jansen), for Within Temptation, for Elis (Griefshire), for Delain (Lucidity)

Epica ... I prerfer the previous album 'Design your universe' over 'Requiem for the indifferent'

The sad thing with symphonic metal is that the genre is a bit slow right now: there used to be many more bands around ....

I like After forever! and good to see Within Temptation being mentioned, I have been enjoying the unforgiving recently. Yeah I have mixed feelings on Requiem for the indifferent, i'm just happy I will get to hear Epica live next month :D . The genre does seem a bit slow, but at least seems to have stabilized. Recently I have been listening to Sirenia quite a bit too. Good stuff.

I sure am. Epica was my favorite band for years. The others you mentioned I listen to too. Plus many many other female fronted gothic metal bands.

I mostly listen to gothic doom metal. Usually Draconian, Ashes You Leave, Tystnaden, Vangaurd, bands like that.

Not my best genre or metal at all. Not sure if you can call it symphonic metal, but check out Therion!!

You could check out Leaves' Eyes, I'm not a fan like I said but you might like them

Probably my favourite genre but i suppose it can be referred to as gothic metal too. Been listening to it for years.

I'm not one to follow one genre but if i see a band that classes themselves as symphonic metal then i make sure i check them out.

Nightwish - Ghost Love Score Live = EPIC.

I like After forever! and good to see Within Temptation being mentioned, I have been enjoying the unforgiving recently. Yeah I have mixed feelings on Requiem for the indifferent, i'm just happy I will get to hear Epica live next month :D . The genre does seem a bit slow, but at least seems to have stabilized. Recently I have been listening to Sirenia quite a bit too. Good stuff.

Requiem for the Indifferent sounds inferior because 'the Divine Conspiracy' and 'Design your Universe' were fabulous.

Epica live should be a blast.

I forgot Leaves' Eyes too.

There is Imperia, Voices of Destiny, Trails of Tears, Tristania, Midnatsol, The Sins of Thy Beloved (old). This might be more metal than symphonic but since someone mentioned Draconian ....

I listen to a lot of random groups from a radio station called Epic Rock Radio. I do believe they have their own website where you can listen to them stream, though I listem to them via www.live365.com (been listening to it for years).

Ooh, a symphonic metal thread! :woot: One of my favourite genres. My favourite is definitely Within Temptation, although if Floor Jansen ends up becoming the next lead singer of Nightwish, that may change! Yes, that means I also like After Forever, and ReVamp. A few more I listen to: Tarja, Apocalyptica, Amberian Dawn, and Metallica's "S&M" album (yes, it is symphonic metal! :p ). It's definitely a genre I need to expand on though. I've listened to a few other bands: Epica, Factory of Dreams, Katra, Leaves' Eyes, Ayreon, Versailles, Symphony X, and Sonata Arctica, but never really got into them. Any suggestions, then? :)

• Like 1