Anyone else into symphonic metal?

Just booked tickets to see nightwish in auckland nz and epica in sydney both in 2013, very excited :D

I liked tarja albums but have grown to appreciate anette's style also. She seems to have gotten a lot better live compared with when she first started off with the bands, there are lots of decent videos of her live performances now on youtube. I'm sad that I won't get to see her with nightwish in my concert

But I'm sure they'll both be amazing concerts :) both of my favourite bands! woo!!

Just booked tickets to see nightwish in auckland nz and epica in sydney both in 2013, very excited :D

Early Jan in Mel & Syd? Nooo..!! Why would no one visit Adelaide?? (yeah I know.. still..) Jan is the worst time for me, can't skip town for even an hour.

Epica in April, though.. Hmmm.. :shifty:

I have so many favorites and so many I love... more...

Dark Princess, Darzamat, Elis & Erben Der Sch?pfung, Everlasting Dawn, Flowing Tears, Forever Slave, Forgotten Tales, Galadriel, Illuminata, Lacuna Coil, Nemesea, November-7, Silentium, Sirenia, UnSun, and so much more, but the more you look into bands like that, the more awsome bands you'll find.

• 4 months later...

I too had never heard of this genre, however..... Sounds nice :) Thanks for this

I started listening to a band called Epica recently, i am already an orchestra fan. I too had never heard it called that. It changed my life. Its a good place to start. If u dont like words, there is something called apocalypse or something.

So as to not start a flamewar, Im gonna ignore this comment :D . Well I will say this, she did not sing Opera to metal in Nightwish and Metal Opera is what the less musically inclined believe, her vocal range was not developed enough for opera during the Nightwish days. She is a soprano singer and did not fully develop her vocal range with Nightwish. She now does 3 Octaves. Not only does Tarja have a higher note range than Annete, I would say many of the Nightwish fans prefer the Timbre differences with Tarja. However, she now does perform classical pieces and does a good job at that. But how could you like Annette? I mean her high note vocal range was truly limited in comparison to Tarja and the Timbre was terrible. Thoumas has even admitted this, not only that she left the band for selfish reasons. How do you feel about Floor Jansen stepping in?

I either never got a notification that you responded to me or I just missed it. My apologies. Hrmm, I will not deny Tarja's ability. She is great. I actually enjoy her solo career. I just think she was very very shaky during higher notes I do not think Anette had as much natural ability as Tarja, but you could tell she practiced and practiced and gave it everything she had. I think she took the whole thing very seriously, and when she was on, she was on. I really do not know what to think about her and Nightwish parting ways. There are a few opinions out there on the net. Mostly they say that she wanted to have another baby and that the band did not think she could continue live appearances while pregnant. If that is the case, I cannot really blame Anette. She is getting up in age near the time she will no longer be able to have children. I have three older sisters though, and I know what you can and cannot do while pregnant. If she really tried hard, she could do it. But I suppose the overall band imagine would feel off if she were pregnant. I cannot really blame Nightwish, either.

As far as Floor Jansen stepping in, I do not know. I think she will be a good fit. It seems like most of the Nightwish community recognize she is a good compromise for old Tarja songs and the newer Anette songs. She does have a very powerful voice with a decent range. I honestly didn't know much about her two bands until this news hit. See, I come from a punk rock background. Lol, not sure how I found my way to symphonic metal, but I suppose anybody can like any genre they wish.

I certainly wouldn't complain if they got Tarja back. :p I just had thing for Anette. Really bad, I don't know why! I was butthurt when she left. :(