Ubuntu 12.10 Released; Pokes fun of Win8

I tried it on my netbook, hit super button, tried to type a command and the whole screen got filled with amazon crap. Isn't this a pain?

• Like 3

I tried it on my netbook, hit super button, tried to type a command and the whole screen got filled with amazon crap. Isn't this a pain?

That's a slight exaggeration don't you think? It's at the bottom of the dash, and can easily be turned off in the privacy settings.

• Like 3

That's a slight exaggeration don't you think? It's at the bottom of the dash, and can easily be turned off in the privacy settings.

It shouldn't be there in the first place. So much for "Ubuntu is free and it always will be." And no, I don't consider ad supported software to be truly "free".

It shouldn't be there in the first place. So much for "Ubuntu is free and it always will be." And no, I don't consider ad supported software to be truly "free".

Never mind it being a worrying trend. Ads in apps are one thing, that's kind of a given, but in the OS itself? Who's to say they don't make it so it can't be removed easily, or add more advertisers as they want to increase their income?

Never mind it being a worrying trend. Ads in apps are one thing, that's kind of a given, but in the OS itself? Who's to say they don't make it so it can't be removed easily, or add more advertisers as they want to increase their income?

Considering Ubuntu is open source I don't see that happening. However it's annoying nonetheless.

I believe they can be removed easily enough, but given how much support Canonical give to the FOSS community I don't begrudge them making a little money back.

I believe they can be removed easily enough, but given how much support Canonical give to the FOSS community I don't begrudge them making a little money back.

Canonical makes a killing from providing enterprise support as is.

it's not. I don't know for larger screen, but my whole 11'' screen was filled with amazon results. I know they can be turned off, but it's a pain anyway.

Installing Microsoft Security Essentials is the first thing I did. For whatever reason it won't find and destroy the malware he keeps getting.

Despite what a lot of people are saying MSE isn't very good. Try avast! instead, it's free, faster, has more features and detects a lot more stuff. That said I don't get the whole 'my parents are destroying their Windows'-thing, my father has been using XP since 2004, hasn't gotten one virus and I only reinstalled once because of a new HDD. Not even the mystical 'rot' is a concern.

Despite what a lot of people are saying MSE isn't very good. Try avast! instead, it's free, faster, has more features and detects a lot more stuff. That said I don't get the whole 'my parents are destroying their Windows'-thing, my father has been using XP since 2004, hasn't gotten one virus and I only reinstalled once because of a new HDD. Not even the mystical 'rot' is a concern.

Why are we talking about MSE on a Linux thread? But I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. MSE is the best A/V period.

I think the ad is quite poor, Ubuntu comes with Unity lol - This should be Microsofts ad really though. Avoid the pain of Windows 8 and stick with 7 :D

I noticed. My mom managed to fill up Windows will toolbars, pop-ups and whatever malware she came across. Same goes for that friend I talked about earlier. As you might imagine I don't spend every waking moment looking over their shoulders when they're using the computer, so I can't give you an answer where they keep getting it from.

Go ahead and call Dell and then talk to me instead of just linking a wikipedia article. I know for a fact it's possible because I've done it 3 times now.

OEMs like Dell, HP etc have tried selling Linux computers and you know what happens?

1. People buy them by mistake and return them when their programs don't work. This costs the OEMs money since they can't resell it (it has to be marked refurbished).

2. It doesn't really sell all that well.

The reason OEMs don't just sell you a computer without Windows pre-installed is because 90% of the world would be completely clueless on how to install it (or install linux / OS X etc for that matter). And all that would end up doing is clogging up support lines.

If linux actually sold well, OEMs would dump Microsoft pretty fast. Dell, HP etc are in the business to make money for themselves, not to make Microsoft money. But the fact is they don't, and nobody outside from a few techies really gives a ****.

/facepalm. Your logic (sorry trolling) is pathetic.

Regarding the OEM's selling linux computers, a big reason why they don't sell well is the following:

1. Poor selection. they only offer linux on 1 or 2 machines, tops.

2. Poor hardware. the 1 or 2 machines that they happen to offer linux on, are crappy netbooks or something, or have outdated hardware.

3. No/poor advertising. its buried somewhere obscure on the site.

Its a wonder that they don't sell well...

From what I remember they were actually more expensive too.

Yes they are, mainly because the purchase numbers were low so they wanted to make more profit and they provided (some limited) support... EVERYONE knows windows so the wage for support is low but to be skilled in linux means a higher wage so you've got that extra cost to pay for.

From what I remember, everyone started just buying windows laptops and they could somehow send the license back to MS and get a refund for what the 'OEM paid' for it so it was much cheaper to do that.

Doesn't surprise me its been removed. From what I've heard, the latest Windows has made some serious optimization advances in the 3D world. Compare that to Ubuntu, where the (still awful) Compiz compositor makes everything 3D wise lag (and buggy) - it makes them look a little foolish :p

Though IMO, the out of box Windows 8 GUI is a mess whereas I think the Unity concepts are better and solves the screen scalability and input issues across multiple devices much better.

Ubuntu is way too bloated with apps and menus everywhere, and that Unity stuff makes me barf. I rather have MacOS-style menus than that Unity-barf.

Regarding the OEM's selling linux computers, a big reason why they don't sell well is the following:

1. Poor selection. they only offer linux on 1 or 2 machines, tops.

2. Poor hardware. the 1 or 2 machines that they happen to offer linux on, are crappy netbooks or something, or have outdated hardware.

3. No/poor advertising. its buried somewhere obscure on the site.

Its a wonder that they don't sell well...

lack of commercial applications and games too. Most people want or need to use stuff like Itunes, Netflix and other types of popular commercial software, you just can't get those on Linux and most of the alternatives are called alternatives for a reason. Pain in the ass to get proper AAC conversion, SoundKonverter was the only one that functioned after i typed a crap ton of commandlines...but the files didn't work in my car. But those are fair examples of what general people would experience and its not the same at all.

with Zorin distro, u can choose which interface you like to deal with: XP,windows 2000, windows7, 8, Unity, Mac OS, and a lot more

It is Ubuntu based and lets you choose which interface to work with.

I find this quite interesting.

Why make minor changes to the way you do things when you could change everything and relearn the entire operating system! Also none of your software will work. Also if you need help be prepared to be scoffed at because you're not doing everything via terminal like its the 80's "Because its better"