Windows 7 DVD Maker ... is there a faster program ?

I'm converting an .avi format movie to a DVD format to work on a DVD player for TV.

Windows DVD encoder is slower than molasses at the North pole.

Approx. 10% encoding per hour.

Are there any faster (perhaps free) proggys ?

Is Nero better ?

I do have Cyberlink Power DVD 8 that came with my LG DVD burner, but I have no idea what it can or can't do.

Thanks.

I have always found the open-source program DVD Flick to work very well. Also, it natively supports a lot of video/audio formats.

I use DVD Flick--

Just make sure to - raise the amount of cores to use the default it uses is one if you have a multi-core and if you want one done in a hurry raise the priority.

thought we weren't supposed to discuss things like "warez" on neowin? I mean, don't such programs circumvent copyright enforcement/infringement? I mean, no offense, hum, but I tried to help someone not too long ago crack a windows password with open source tools...so isn't this sort of the same thing? If not, then I have always used "DVD Santa" from the XP days...still works on 7, but I was just thinking...how do I answer this after receiving a warning again, you know? I definitely don't want to mess up my neowin account, because I truly love it so much (no sarcasm intended)...is it a home made .avi? If so, then DVD Flick seems like the way to go. I just don't want to break any rules on neowin, know where I'm coming from?

thought we weren't supposed to discuss things like "warez" on neowin? I mean, don't such programs circumvent copyright enforcement/infringement? I mean, no offense, hum, but I tried to help someone not too long ago crack a windows password with open source tools...so isn't this sort of the same thing? If not, then I have always used "DVD Santa" from the XP days...still works on 7, but I was just thinking...how do I answer this after receiving a warning again, you know? I definitely don't want to mess up my neowin account, because I truly love it so much (no sarcasm intended)...is it a home made .avi? If so, then DVD Flick seems like the way to go. I just don't want to break any rules on neowin, know where I'm coming from?

Not quite--

After all my Casio Exilim camera creates .avi movies

I would need a program to change those as well as to put many together for a DVD to play on the big screen.

That is actually the way I use it...

.avi is needed to be changed to Mpeg4 to play on a Dvd

Plus it also creates the structure needed for a DVD with burning built in

And plus- converting is not where the problem comes in-- it is the Ripping from a DVD that is a problem.

thought we weren't supposed to discuss things like "warez" on neowin? I mean, don't such programs circumvent copyright enforcement/infringement?

So Microsoft's Windows 7 proggy, DVD Maker is warez ... ??? :s

I have also discovered that you can reset the Priority of DVD Maker in the Task Manager -- however, this runs the CPU at 100%.

And thanks guys for your other suggested programs. ;)

Well I finally succeeded in burning the .avi to DVD format.

I used an old program I had for years.

Took about 3 hours, but that is far better than the poor Windows DVD Maker. :s

I like ConvertXtoDVD, but it's obviously not free.

@obiwankenobi

Technically you can make a backup of a DVD for your own personal use, but I think specifics will get you in trouble. I can't speak on that as I'm not a mod, but have them point out specifically why you got in trouble for it. If someone assumes that without proof (which someone ALWAYS does), then that just makes them look like an ***.

He's not requesting pirated stuff.

You're not telling him to pirate stuff.

He's not requesting assistance in pirating stuff.

No one is posting pirated material.

No one is discussing pirated material.

No Illegal Software/Copyrighted Discussion.

Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

The following punishments may be applied to your account following infractions:

• Posting a link to pirated software/film/tv/music. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Suggesting (overtly endorsing) that somebody pirate material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Requesting assistance in pirating material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Posting screenshots that show obviously pirated material (e.g. someone's uTorrent download screen) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN
  • Openly discussing pirated material (e.g. z0mg - new episode of Lost was amazing!! BitTorrent FTW!) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN

That is actually the way I use it...

.avi is needed to be changed to Mpeg4 to play on a Dvd

Plus it also creates the structure needed for a DVD with burning built in

Your avi may very well be mpeg4, but it needs to be mpeg2 to work on a dvd :p

Well I finally succeeded in burning the .avi to DVD format.

I used an old program I had for years.

Took about 3 hours, but that is far better than the poor Windows DVD Maker. :s

the faster program probably did a quicker and dirtier format conversion and probably won't have the same quality as DVD maker would have given though. it seem weird it would only do 10% an hour though, that's really slow for a mpeg2 conversion unless your computer is really slow.

Your avi may very well be mpeg4, but it needs to be mpeg2 to work on a dvd :p

the faster program probably did a quicker and dirtier format conversion and probably won't have the same quality as DVD maker would have given though. it seem weird it would only do 10% an hour though, that's really slow for a mpeg2 conversion unless your computer is really slow.

You are correct-- the main thing is my camera creates a .avi which needs converting and DVDFlick does that for me just fine.

thanks, for the correction

So Microsoft's Windows 7 proggy, DVD Maker is warez ... ??? :s

I have also discovered that you can reset the Priority of DVD Maker in the Task Manager -- however, this runs the CPU at 100%.

And thanks guys for your other suggested programs. ;)

No, wasn't saying that or trying to, was just thinking...how do I answer this correctly without being warned. ;)

No, wasn't saying that or trying to, was just thinking...how do I answer this correctly without being warned. ;)

Converting a file into another format is not warez - Considering he did not say what type of movie it was.

I know on my Casio Exilim camera it creates "AVI" format Home movies...

Who is to say that I don't want to convert them then put on a DVD

Now if he said Convert the movie let us say "Harry Potter(crack).avi" to burn to a dvd then maybe.

it is circumventing things like copy-write protection -

It is the actual RIP that is against the law.

And come to think about - All he asked was "is there a faster program than one that is already built into windows" How could that be Warez?

thought we weren't supposed to discuss things like "warez" on neowin?

What the **** converting an avi video to dvd format has anything to do with warez ???

I have like 2 gb of avi video from my 2010 cuba trip on my computer. I highly doubt burning them to dvd for my personal use is illegal.

When i want to convert/edit avi files http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ usually does the job. Last time i used it you could convert to dvd format and then burn it with another software. http://handbrake.fr/details.php should probably does the job too.

I think http://infrarecorder.org/ will let you burn to dvd from the converted video files (not sure though).