• Windows Phone, iOS and Android are overrated. My platform FTW
  3. 3. Which device you like the most?

• Lumia 920
    • Windows Phone 8X
    • Lumia 820/822
    • Windows Phone 8S
    • ATIV S
    • They are all the same

As opposed to the dorks that work in the stores that clearly steer people towards their preference (and spiff)? Then again, dorks apparently are the target audience for these childish devices anyway.

Childish devices?

Jesus, if it was up to Neowin members, computing would still be in the "Dark Ages". Nothing would ever advance, because no one would change anything. Ever.

It's a good thing companies don't look to us. If the common user can't use it, it won't sell. Computers and technology shouldn't be limited like that. Take that sense of entitlement and stow it.

The arrogant assumption that all progress is for the better can lead people into some very dark corners, the lessons learned from the destruction of the Titanic are still not being learned 100 years on it seems. Decent software developers don't work on a basis of "This is what we're doing, now shut the hell up" they learn from their mistakes and listen to their customers. It's not just us geeks that can't fathom Windows 8, I volunteer at a place that refurbishes computers and provides basic skills courses to members of the public, and the reactions to Windows 8 amongst both the techies and members of the public has ranged from "What the hell is this", to "Confusing" to "ugly" to "I hate it". I haven't had a single person say something good about the direction taken with Windows 8 and I've been working there since before it RTM'd.

Same goes with Windows Phone, I know 3 people out of a big network of friends that own them.

The arrogant assumption that all progress is for the better can lead people into some very dark corners, the lessons learned from the destruction of the Titanic are still not being learned 100 years on it seems. Decent software developers don't work on a basis of "This is what we're doing, now shut the hell up" they learn from their mistakes and listen to their customers. It's not just us geeks that can't fathom Windows 8, I volunteer at a place that refurbishes computers and provides basic skills courses to members of the public, and the reactions to Windows 8 amongst both the techies and members of the public has ranged from "What the hell is this", to "Confusing" to "ugly" to "I hate it". I haven't had a single person say something good about the direction taken with Windows 8 and I've been working there since before it RTM'd.

Same goes with Windows Phone, I know 3 people out of a big network of friends that own them.

I can't really say much about Windows 8 because I dislike it and went back to Windows 7.

But when it comes to Windows Phone 8, and the Lumia 920, I can say without a doubt it is the best phone I have ever owned. Metro really works well on a phone, not a desktop. I still own my Galaxy phone, simply for the vast marketplace, and it is still a great platform. Nothing wrong with it at all... But when WP8 marketplace is caught up, I will have no need for the Galaxy.

iPhone isn't even in this conversation because they can't even hold water to a Galaxy III, and definitely can't touch the Lumia 920 or WP8.

That said, those three people in your big network of friends, are probably the smartest of them all. Or at least, the happiest with their choice.

I picked up my blue 8X yesterday, love it but it seems a few apps i had before don't have WP8 versions. Photosynth is one and the other is tune in radio. Anymore else not able to get these two apps?

I've decided to hold off till the 7.8 update hits before I make the jump (seems I'd give up more than I'd gain currently for my uses). Figure it will give me something to play with for a bit and its nice being off contract again.

GP007, how is the amp on that thing (if you disable the Beats processing)? What did you have before?

I've decided to hold off till the 7.8 update hits before I make the jump (seems I'd give up more than I'd gain currently for my uses). Figure it will give me something to play with for a bit and its nice being off contract again.

GP007, how is the amp on that thing (if you disable the Beats processing)? What did you have before?

Can't say yet, haven't had a chance to listen to music on it yet actually. One thing I'll tell you for sure is that the overall ring and vibrate levels are higher than my old LG Optimus 7. I'd set the ring volume on it to 22-25 but with the 8X I actually turned it down to 16-18 when I have it out sitting on a table etc. Beats is off by default until you connect the headphones though, I'll get back to you on that part.

Heh, I only turn my G1 Focus to 14 or so but I like it quiet. I bet having two speakers helps with that on yours. I love how the vibrations really pop on the 8X when you hit the back button etc, even better than the Focus2/Flash. The 920 was pretty flaccid in that regard. Unless that is configurable on some? (I looked but didn't find)

(They put a keyboard on the LG when it hit the States which pretty much killed it here)

I got my Lumia 920 today. I'm loving it so far. The only thing that annoys me is the empty space above the uppermost tiles. They should have made it so that you could fit three rows of large tiles plus one row of small tiles. I find myself scrolling the tiles so that they align with the clock at the top. Yeah, I'm kind of ocd like that.

Come to think of it. Alot of the press images of both the Lumia and the 8X have the tiles aligned with the clock. Why did they change that?

Heh, I only turn my G1 Focus to 14 or so but I like it quiet. I bet having two speakers helps with that on yours. I love how the vibrations really pop on the 8X when you hit the back button etc, even better than the Focus2/Flash. The 920 was pretty flaccid in that regard. Unless that is configurable on some? (I looked but didn't find)

(They put a keyboard on the LG when it hit the States which pretty much killed it here)

I listened to some music today on my 8X, through the headphones with beats on and then off and there is a noticeable difference. With it off the music sounds more flat but with it on it's more deep/heavy etc. It's worth keeping on imo.

Included headphones. And the music isn't flat in the least. I suggest you try it personally since each persons ear is different. All I can say is that there is a difference when it's on and off with the limited testing I've done personally.

Included headphones. And the music isn't flat in the least. I suggest you try it personally since each persons ear is different. All I can say is that there is a difference when it's on and off with the limited testing I've done personally.

Lumia 920 actually has beats and Dolby. I just messed with both a little and definitely sounded better. I use Bluetooth stereo and none of these effects are usable. But Bluetooth sounds better as well. iPhone used to be Bluetooth stereo champ, but the 920 is delivering more and cleaner blue bass.

A dear friend I saw over the Thanksgiving holiday played with my phone, and just got this text from her a few minutes ago:

(Also, just figured this out. To take a screenshot of what is on your screen, hold in the power/standby button then press the Windows logo button. Pretty neat feature.)

post-46379-0-45170300-1354331169.jpg

Really want to go Windows Phone but the apps aren't their (particularly for my Bank) and there isn't a device with enough storage (I need at least 64GB).

My wife and I are loving our 810s. I'm a bit suprised how many small tiles I'm using now. I originally didn't like them but counters still display on them so I'm able to fit everything I need on it without swiping. I was suprised how crisp the screen is. Colors seem much more vibrant than my Trophy and the camera is amazing.

I originally had some issues with mine but the problem turned out to be a bad SD card (SanDisk class 10 64GB). It worked great until you transferred about five gigs to it.

Really want to go Windows Phone but the apps aren't their (particularly for my Bank) and there isn't a device with enough storage (I need at least 64GB).

The bank apps will get there eventually, but for storage there's always getting one with an SD card slot.

I am about to get the 810, played around with it at Tmobile and love it. Im hoping the app marketplace increases, looking for Spotify, Instagram and banking apps. Also hoping they improve the speech features, to work more like Siri/Android as its still pretty primitive compared.

If your bank has a website, it shouldn't be any issue. Internet Explorer on the phone is lightning fast. Not having my bank app wasn't a big issue considering how well the browser is optimized on the phone.

My wife and I are loving our 810s. I'm a bit suprised how many small tiles I'm using now. I originally didn't like them but counters still display on them so I'm able to fit everything I need on it without swiping. I was suprised how crisp the screen is. Colors seem much more vibrant than my Trophy and the camera is amazing.

I originally had some issues with mine but the problem turned out to be a bad SD card (SanDisk class 10 64GB). It worked great until you transferred about five gigs to it.

The bank apps will get there eventually, but for storage there's always getting one with an SD card slot.

Devices with an SD slot mean lower range devices or the Samsung Ativ S - none of which seem particularly appealing.

I agree the bank apps will get there - but they quite simply aren't there yet.

If your bank has a website, it shouldn't be any issue. Internet Explorer on the phone is lightning fast. Not having my bank app wasn't a big issue considering how well the browser is optimized on the phone.

The log-in experience on the web site is horrible (surname + online user ID + secret code) vs a 5 digit pin on the iPhone/Android apps. Makes a massive difference. Also the app acts as an authorisation code generator which would require me to otherwise carry another device.

The apps thing is really getting confusing for both the developers, and the consumers.

Consumers, wouldn't buy the phone beacuse apps are not being developed.

Developers won't make new apps, because platform isn't selling.

I hope this condition gets addressed real soon, by both the consumers and developers

They've had two years and there has hardly been any movement on the developer side. This do over they've done only makes that pill harder to swallow.

So even if they get a fair amount of Win8 developers, how many will want to take the extra time to optimize it for WP8 given their track record so far? Doesn't that still circle back to the issue that not developing because of 'marketshare' is just a cop out by lazy companies.

Getting frustrated. My wireless dock shipped out the other day, and is supposed to be arriving today. That part is fine. What is not fine is they double charged me for the dock, and they are saying they don't see it on their end but it is clearly on my bank statement, the same price as the dock. Having to run circles around these people to get my money back. So frustrating.

Why does AT&T make everything a pain in the arse?

+Perfect72, how many days has it been since the charge? It could be that they made an error, maybe give it a few days to clear, usually 3 business days. I work retail and have seen this happen before

+Perfect72, how many days has it been since the charge? It could be that they made an error, maybe give it a few days to clear, usually 3 business days. I work retail and have seen this happen before

I was charged on November 30th. I originally "paid" for it and the phone on November 20th. The wireless charger comes free with the phone. When I upgraded I had to swipe my card twice, once for $52.xx and another for $54.32 to add up to $106.99, which shows up on my statement. Then the November 30th charge was for, $54.32, the same charge for the wireless dock at the store. (They had to split it up to equal 106.99.)

I would normally think that, if it was a PRE-AUTH, but it is not, and was fully charged.

Id give it a full 3 business days and see if it goes away, *most* of the time thats the case if its a pre-auth, and att is probably correct that they can't see it on their end, same think has happened with me at the store. If it doesn't go away either call the bank to have it reversed or take the statement over to where you purchased.