WMV to MP4 Video Conversion

Question

Hi, I just wanted some recommendations in regards to (good-quality) programs to convert WMV video files to MP4.

I did try VLC, but it gave poor results (skipped frames, sound out of sync). I was expecting VLC to be better - it works well when ripping DVDs. Also, the MP4 VLC produced would not play on an iPad (through the native Movies app) or through QuickTime, however, it did play through VLC (of course). I just left the MP4 encoding settings as default.

I would like to try HandBrake next. Has anyone had any experience with this? I would love to hear your feedback.

Preferably, I want the program to be free/open source, and without any ads (displayed while encoding)/adware/spyware.

I can also try DVDFlick to burn the WMV to DVD-RW, and then rip it off that (on that note, I could also use Windows DVD Maker for this).

I am questioning about how well FFmpeg supports WMV.

19 answers to this question

FFmpeg might work - I will give it a try tomorrow:

ffmpeg -i [your_video.wmv] -r 20 -ar 44100 -ab 196 -b 300k -aspect 4:3 -s 320x240 -croptop 0 -cropbottom 0 -cropleft 0 -cropright 0 [your_video.mp4]

-r 20 is the framerate [frames/second]

-ar 44100 is the audio rate [samples/second]

-ab 196 is audio 196 kbit/s

-b 300k is the video bitrate of 300 kbit/s

-aspect 4:3 is the desired aspect ratio

-s 320x240 will scale to E8 screen resolution

The WMVs have a resolution of 640x480.

Thanks for the replies - I'll try them all! :)

Freemake is the simplest though I noticed it reduces the bitrate even when set to automatic - I usually load the file in gspot first to get the bitrate and match it in the settings. Lots of great presets in there though :)

Handbrake is awesome - especially with the ATV3/Highprofile presets that I can tweak ever so slightly to retain as much quality as possible.

A-Tube I used to love but its MP4 decoding seems to break on me after a few runs but I love it for its Youtube ripping ability over Freemake as it lists all the videos in order of resolution for me so I am getting the best one :)

topic was created in 2012, I doubt the OP is currently looking for new software.  If the topic needs to be revisited, a new one can be created.  Locking it up.