UAC question

I am having the strangest issue whenever I attempt to copy or move anything from one HDD to another. I use Teracopy as the default copy handler, and each time I move anything from my downloads drive to another drive, UAC pops up. This only happens when copying/moving items to another drive, if I copy over the network I do not get the prompt. What could be causing teracopy to request administrative rights when doing a copy/move?

For some reason the location you are copying to does not have everyone or you with permission to write.

I just checked the security on the drive in question and it is set correctly, but it still is doing the same thing... not sure what to make of this issue now.

What user does teracopy run as, or does it copy using another service that runs as some kind of service user ?

As far as I know, it runs as the only account on this computer witch has admin rights...

Great that your account has admin rights - but processes do not run with that as part of UAC. You have to elevate to get admin rights, the whole point of right click run as administrator, etc

--

http://technet.micro...spx#BKMK_WhatIs

Unlike earlier versions of Windows, when an administrator logs on to a computer running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the user?s full administrator access token is split into two access tokens: a full administrator access token and a standard user access token. During the logon process, authorization and access control components that identify an administrator are removed, resulting in a standard user access token. The standard user access token is then used to start the desktop, the Explorer.exe process. Because all applications inherit their access control data from the initial launch of the desktop, they all run as a standard user.

--

If your getting prompted to elevate - this means your permissions are set in such a way that you require admin rights. Post a picture of your permissions that are set. I assume when you say drive you are doing a copy to the root of the drive ie d:\ vs say d:\somefolder\ ?