F1 World Championship 2013 Thread

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

123456789A

I hope the Safety Car isn't on Pirellis.

• Like 1
Eddo89

I went and made sure I don't have Pirelli on my car.....

• Like 1
Lovell

It's a weird situation as it's not entirely Pirellis fault, they're being forced to make ###### tyres to make it more entertaining if they wanted to they could easily make a tyre that wouldn't need replacing but pit stops create strategy and make the race more entertaining.

+Frank B.

Vettel DNF. I can't help but chuckle.

• Like 3
123456789A

Alonso was seen earlier in the day poking his Vettel voodoo doll.

theyarecomingforyou

Shocking race! I'm surprised the race wasn't red flagged because of the tyre issues. Personally I'd like to see Pirelli dropped for next season.

U9xe7Tk.jpg

+Frank B.

post-1302-0-86562100-1372600040.png

123456789A

BREAKING NEWS: All 22 drivers disqualified from 2013 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix

Results nullified, pending investigation for unsanctioned in-season tyre testing.

MightyJordan

Personally I'd like to see Pirelli dropped for next season.

I'd like to see the return of constructors getting to choose their tyre manufacturer, even if there's just two to choose from, like the Michelin vs. Bridgestone days from the last decade.

• Like 2
simonlang

what a big big joke. still happy with the tires?!  :/

Noir Angel

Wow, that was without doubt the most crazy Formula 1 race I have ever witnessed. The tyres were already a question mark and now safety is concerned there simply must be a change.

Blaming Pirelli is easy and without doubt they do share a lot of the blame but Formula 1 also needs to work united to solve this problem. Pirelli need to be given substantial enough tests with current machinery to develop a suitable product, and a change to these tyres has to be forced through whether Ferrari and Lotus like it or not. It's very lucky that nobody was injured as a result of today's action.

Man of the race: Lewis and Webber both recovered brilliantly.

Reject of the race: Formula 1 as a whole. They need to stop fighting each other and work together to develop tyres fit for purpose.

philcruicks

I doubt its an issues with the tyres, I agree in general they need to work on them but the blow outs where not their fault.

BBC covered it nicely...not sure if Sky did. (unsubtle dig :shiftyninja: )

1st reason its probably not the tyres....its not happened this season before (except when contact like a wing end plate has been involved)

2nd reason, the kerbs at Silverstone have recently been replaced 9this was mentioned by the BBC), then after the race Gary Anderson went out to turn 4 where Hamilton and Massa had their problems and you can clearly see the kerb has a inch or so drop on the inside, and it was covered in rubber where the drivers left wheels were going past the kerb and onto the green concrete between it and the grass, then as they moved back onto the track the kerb was catching the tyres.

There was a good shot of Vettles' tyre (which I can;t find online) looked like someone has tried to take a slice out of it...luckily for him it didn't fail...but it wasn't tyres randomly blowing up, the kerbs were damaging them.

Best solution IMO...grind the inside of the kerbs to make it a bit more rounded. Let Perilli focus on the other tyre issues and the tracks focus on the kerbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98GB1I2TyrE

• Like 1
MightyJordan

F1 Fanatic's raised an interesting point: could Webber have won the race if he pitted on the final lap?

Here?s a curiosity: take a look at lap 29 on the lap chart. The running order was Vettel-Rosberg-Raikkonen-Sutil-Alonso. From the data it appears as though Raikkonen had just overtaken Alonso and Suti on that lap.

But he hadn't: Raikkonen actually pitted at the end of lap 29. The reason he was classified ahead (as reflected on the FIA?s official lap chart) was because the configuration of the pit lane entrance at Silverstone is such that a following car can reach the timing beam more quickly by going into the pits.

If you have a look at the circuit layout you can see why: cars coming into the pits only have a right-hand turn to negotiate (and, of course, they have to slow down for the speed limit). Whereas those completing the lap have to go through the slow Vale left-hander and then Club.

Which leads me to wonder, could Webber have won the race by pitting at the end of the last lap? Raikkonen gained 2.3 seconds on Sutil with his in-lap and Webber began the final lap 1.1 seconds behind Rosberg.

Finding this moment from 1998, I assume the answer is yes...

Lingwo

F1 Fanatic's raised an interesting point: could Webber have won the race if he pitted on the final lap?

Charlie Whiting said anyone going into the pits to gain an advantage would be considered off track. So they would have to give the position back.

• Like 1
MightyJordan

Charlie Whiting said anyone going into the pits to gain an advantage would be considered off track. So they would have to give the position back.

Ahh right. That settles that, then.

Noir Angel

Apparently Pirelli and some of the drivers disagreed with the contention that the kerbs were the source of the problem. I'm not sure that the kerbs are the whole story to be honest. They may be part of it and sharp kerbs should of course be fixed but the tyres need to be sorted as well

• Like 1
theyarecomingforyou

I doubt its an issues with the tyres, I agree in general they need to work on them but the blow outs where not their fault.

That's not the position of teams and drivers. More importantly, we're talking about damage occurring after very few laps - tyres are usually able to take considerable punishment (i.e. coming into contact with other cars) without such blowouts. It seems likely that the curbs played a role in the tyre blowouts but they certainly weren't the only issue - we've seen far too many issues with the tyres this year even before Silverstone.

BBC covered it nicely...not sure if Sky did. (unsubtle dig  :shiftyninja: )

I don't know what the point is that you're trying to make but Sky's coverage is dramatically better than that of the BBC. At first I was very sceptical of the move to Sky but it's been a blessing for the sport and especially for fans.

Daedroth

That's not the position of teams and drivers. More importantly, we're talking about damage occurring after very few laps - tyres are usually able to take considerable punishment (i.e. coming into contact with other cars) without such blowouts. It seems likely that the curbs played a role in the tyre blowouts but they certainly weren't the only issue - we've seen far too many issues with the tyres this year even before Silverstone.

I don't know what the point is that you're trying to make but Sky's coverage is dramatically better than that of the BBC. At first I was very sceptical of the move to Sky but it's been a blessing for the sport and especially for fans.

For fans who can afford to pay through the nose.*

• Like 2
philcruicks

It is the position of some teams and drivers but not all, Kimmi said in his interview he thought it was kerbs as did some others, can't remember them all, Hamilton was quick to blame Perelli in his interview, Martin Whitmarsh, as a team principal was far more diplomatic about his answers as he should be currently cause they don't have all the facts.

I didn't say there weren't issues with the tyres...in fact quite the opposite "Let Perilli focus on the other tyre issues" i.e. the degradation and poor performance etc..

But as far as the blowouts themselves the facts so far point to the kerbs. i.e. the kerbs were replaced recently, sharp bits or kerbs were found and there have been no other random blowouts at other races this season.

My problem with Sky isn't their coverage as such, it just that they throw their money around to the detriment of fans who can't afford a completely ridiculous ?50+ per month Sky deal...If they want to broadcast it fine let them, but don't out price the BBC so the rest of us can't watch it. just cause they're greedy.

Skiver

I like the inclusion of a penalty points system (which almost directly emulates British driving licenses). Is it me though or does it seem a bit lenient? Nothing happens until you get 12 points, then you're simply banned for one race. I reckon they should have included grid penalties at lower tiers; 3 points = 5 place grid penalty, 6 points = 10 place grid penalty, 9 points = start race from the pit lane. Or is that a bit harsh?

Speaking of penalties, I bet we'll see more gearbox penalties next season what with the change from 5 races per gearbox to 6.

Oh, I'm watching P3 right now; Sergio Perez had a tyre failure during the session. No idea what caused it; McLaren simply say "instantaneous tyre failure".

I don't believe this is completely replacing the penatly system, I think drive through's, grid penalties etc will be still there but points will be included so that if a driver (Grosean) commits enough penalty worthy incidents then they will also get a race ban. I think it's to stop people causing issues every few races, and maybe getting punished for them but it still happening regardless.

I am ashamed to admit that I shouted "in your face" when that happened   :blush:

Coming from someone who watched on BBC, switched to sky and has now had to switch back to the BBC but I completely agree. Sky has a much better team (Brundle and Kravitz alone) and seem to know what they are talking about. I can't count how many times I shout out drivers names when the two BBC commentators get it wrong (Sutil instead of Di Resta)!

mps69

My problem with Sky isn't their coverage as such, it just that they throw their money around to the detriment of fans who can't afford a completely ridiculous ?50+ per month Sky deal...If they want to broadcast it fine let them, but don't out price the BBC so the rest of us can't watch it. just cause they're greedy.

In this case it's not Sky that are greedy, they like BBC bid for the rights to televise the races.

The fact that Bernie when with the Sky bid doesn't mean that Sky was the highest bid. I'm sure money was a contributing factor, but I'm sure the overall package Sky offered showed they are committed to the sport.

philcruicks

In this case it's not Sky that are greedy, they like BBC bid for the rights to televise the races.

The fact that Bernie when with the Sky bid doesn't mean that Sky was the highest bid. I'm sure money was a contributing factor, but I'm sure the overall package Sky offered showed they are committed to the sport.

Ok fair comment it probably wasn't all sky...but its just annoying...why don't they offer a per channel package. I hate football with a passion and really don't wanna pay ?30 for the sports pack on that basis, I know its not just football on the other sports channels, but its a large part and probaby the reason the price is so high...if I could just get F1 for like ?5 ontop of the basic pack then ?26 is far more reasonable...

so...Bernie is a greedy b*****d  ;)

Noir Angel

I'm lucky to have access to Sky Player for nothing from a friend but I agree it's disappointing that F1 has gone behind a paywall. Sky aren't to blame though, it's Bernie that I blame (I can't stand the man, I seriously hope the Germans do him for that fraud so someone takes over that is prepared to put the sport first)

Skiver

Ok fair comment it probably wasn't all sky...but its just annoying...why don't they offer a per channel package. I hate football with a passion and really don't wanna pay ?30 for the sports pack on that basis, I know its not just football on the other sports channels, but its a large part and probaby the reason the price is so high...if I could just get F1 for like ?5 ontop of the basic pack then ?26 is far more reasonable...

so...Bernie is a greedy b*****d  ;)

Agreed on that, you can have Sky Sports 1 only, or Sky Sports 2 only or have everything... just offer Sky F1 as a seperate package (on Virgin Media also please) and i could deal with that.

I know a guy at work pays for an "HD" pack which means he gets Sky F1 without having to pay for sports but I'm not entirely sure what that is.

philcruicks

Agreed on that, you can have Sky Sports 1 only, or Sky Sports 2 only or have everything... just offer Sky F1 as a seperate package (on Virgin Media also please) and i could deal with that.

I know a guy at work pays for an "HD" pack which means he gets Sky F1 without having to pay for sports but I'm not entirely sure what that is.

Yeah I remember seeing that when Sky Sports F1 1st came out, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned anymore...To be honest I wish they'd do that with everything, a completely customisable, per channel package, add and remove channels on a per month basis etc... get with the times Sky ;)