Dexter (Season 8) FINAL SEASON!

I don't know about you guys, but if I were in Dexter's shoes there is nothing that would keep me away from Yvonne Strahovski, no matter how much I hated myself.

I wasn't a fan of the ending, but then I can't really think of a good ending for the show either.

• Like 2

Yep, pretty weak ending, but I kind of figured that was coming. Finally put to rest a great show that's been on it's way out for a couple of seasons now. I enjoyed it but I'm glad it's over at this point.

Bye Dexter!

I found the ending a bit weak in all honesty. Although I guessed it wasn't going to have a happy ending (the stories of killers rarely do) but I was hoping from the spoilers they showed that there was going to be a big final showdown as they got on the plane or something.

I found the ending a bit weak in all honesty. Although I guessed it wasn't going to have a happy ending (the stories of killers rarely do) but I was hoping from the spoilers they showed that there was going to be a big final showdown as they got on the plane or something.

Good ending /= happy ending

I don't think most people were looking for a happy ending, but a good ending would have been nice, but honestly, for me, a good ending after this crap of a season would have been every character dying in a mass explosion taking out all of Miami with Dexter in it so there's no way we get another season in case Showtime wanted to change their minds later on.

Did she? If she just watched the door where she locked up Saxon, which I thought was the common sense thing to do, even with him secured to the chair... And, something like that could have happened in her normal line of duty, anyway. A criminal trying to get away, firing at her.

I know that's how Dexter felt, though, and that's why he buried her at sea. I don't know if Deb would have liked him to do that, either way. She told him not to blame himself. It was still disrespectful.

Wasn't the door a swinging door? Plus, she didn't know anyone would have entered. It was some what Dexter's fault, he could have just killed him, but instead gave him over to Deb.

Wasn't the door a swinging door? Plus, she didn't know anyone would have entered. It was some what Dexter's fault, he could have just killed him, but instead gave him over to Deb.

Yea, but the bigger point is that this could have happened on any police assignment. Sure, its true that, in this case, the federal marshal was only trailing her because of Dexter. But there are so many other ways she could have been shot in the line of duty. Cops get into gun fights with criminals. Deb has been in gun fights before. That's all this was, back and forth shooting between her and Saxon.

Its not like Saxon came after her in the night and slit her throat as some revenge against her brother. This was part of the danger of her chosen job as a police officer.

There's no real moral lesson here. Either way, Dexter is consumed with guilt, thinking its his fault. Maybe that's the bigger point. That he's consumed with guilt over his lifestyle and is projecting his guilt on the events here. The writers don't really make that clear, though. The closest thing they come to that is when Deb tries to admonish Dexter and tell him its not his fault. But it seems like they want you to agree with Dexter's POV.

It did seem like they tried to do too many things in the final episode.  

I didn't think he would leave his child alone, so I wasn't surprised that he didn't commit suicide like they were making out.  Too open an ending though.  

You have to assume that he hooks back up with Hannah and Harrison eventually.

I thought it was a bit dumb him taking Deb off life support, but I guess that was his closure before he ran away to Canada eh?

I actually wanted everyone to know Dexter was a killer and then ended right there.. either him going off in the background never to be found or being caught.

I think a more interesting plot twist would have been that Deputy Chief Tom Matthews knew about Dexter, the ending was a bit weak and I'm left wondering if they purposely left it open.

• Like 2

As he headed in to the storm I really hoped they done a cop out ending where he wakes up in the shipping container at the end of last season cos Deb actualy shot him.

The new characters like Vogal and her son are actualy Paramedics or law enforcement, then this season would have been about him coming to terms with why Deb needed to shot him.

Would have been the lesser of the two evils, seriously a Lumberjack?

I can tell people how it ends and they think im jokeing!

I think a more interesting plot twist would have been that Deputy Chief Tom Matthews knew about Dexter, the ending was a bit weak and I'm left wondering if they purposely left it open.

The lumberjack thing does seem to hint to a spinoff if Showtime were to ever go that route.  

Posted this on Facebook about 3 weeks ago. It no doubt still stands...

I used to know this cool dude named Dexter.
He was incredibly interesting, well spoken and a very complex, dynamic character. One of those deep types that always kept you guessing.
Granted he was a little twisted, but I really liked him.
Then something happened. I started seeing signs of something not being right upwards of two years ago.
In the past year, he just completely changed.

He is now a walking cliche. Nothing but a ghost of his former self.
Quite frankly, now he is just really damn annoying. 

Damn Dexter. What happened bro.

It really is quite sad just how damn bad the show wind up being. This season was truly atrocious from start to finish. So many plot points introduced for nothing else than to fill 60 minutes for each episode. 

And the last 5 or 10 minutes. Just seriously the worst decisions ever. If they wanted the watched to completely hate Dexter as a human being completely, they absolutely succeeded at doing that. For example...

The fact he chose to

dump Deb's body in the ocean was about as disrespectful of an act that he could have done towards her. Whose bodies did he always dump in the ocean? The people he killed who were despicable human beings who met his code and deserved to die. So how was that respectful to Deb at all that she suffered the same fate? What about all of the other people who cared for Deb? Doing what he did gives them zero closure whatsoever, so it was also incredibly disrespectful to them as well. I really thought he was going to throw himself in with her and commit suicide. If he did that, it would have made a little bit of sense.

Instead, it was the most selfish thing he could choose to do, and made him such an idiot. Just the way they chose to handle this one single aspect made the finale absolutely horrible IMHO.

Just so many things wrong with the last season. Granted the show always used Dexter's voice over as a way to explain thing, but the writing on this last season was just so atrocious, and they had to spell every single thing out. It is like they no longer trusted their viewers at all, and they wound up making the show so dumb.

The example that comes to mind the easiest was the whole treadmill with Harrison

. They way they so blatantly foreshadowed it in the same episode was truly insulting to myself as a viewer. It was truly horrible writing.

I could go on and on but there really is no point in doing so. I will end by saying it is truly the most disappointing show I have ever watched. I was such a huge fan of the earlier seasons, and just so adamantly against the last two seasons. It was truly handled horribly. Instead of being remembered as one of the better shows in the history of televisions, it will go down as what not to do with a television show for many years to come.

I feel like I need to point out, this is obviously all my opinion. I know others will no doubt disagree, and you are welcome to do so. Does not make me right, does not make you wrong, and vice versa. 

Damn Dexter. What happened bro.

Wow, some people sure get wrapped up in a fictional TV show. :laugh:

I may have ended the series in a different way, but I thought it was fine. Besides, I keep hearing about a spin-off and/or a movie, so there may be some valid reasons for the way they ended it. If not, it is what it is. Life goes on. The whole body of work of the 96 episodes is stellar, imho.

Oh, I will say that I also thoroughly enjoy the Dexter books, as well. And since Dexter survived in the TV series, Lindsay can write more Dexter books. Although I suppose he could do that either way.

http://www.dexter-books.com/

honestly feels like they plan on another season or a movie, maybe they could do it in a few years with better writers

sucked anyways , but to be fair the only good last episode of a tv series that I can think of was buffy , followed by angel ... most of the others suck  (i'm looking at you lost)

honestly feels like they plan on another season or a movie, maybe they could do it in a few years with better writers

sucked anyways , but to be fair the only good last episode of a tv series that I can think of was buffy , followed by angel ... most of the others suck  (i'm looking at you lost)

Six Feet Under...  That last episode was so filled with emotion.  One of the BEST series I've ever watched.

• Like 1

I read this yesterday and thought this would have been a much better ending. This is from the former showrunner on Dexter

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/23/former-dexter-showrunner-on-how-he-would-have-ended-the-series

In the very last scene of the series, Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed?including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies.  Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion.