Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Samsung will mark safe Galaxy Note7 replacement devices with a blue 'S' on the box
by Justin Luna
Samsung has recently faced quite an embarrassing debacle after its latest Note flagship, the Galaxy Note7, was reported to be a fire hazard, following a series of incidents in which the handsets caught fire, even during 'normal use'. The company eventually announced a massive recall, asking users to return their Note7 handset.
With this in consideration, Samsung has started preparing replacement units for its customers. But how exactly will they know that the new devices are safe, and not from the batch of defective units?
via Samsung Australia When retailers and customers receive these new Note7 smartphones, their box will be marked with a small black square on the barcode sticker. Also, a more prominent sign to tell that the device is safe is the blue 'S' mark that can be found on the upper right portion of the side of the box.
Moreover, Samsung will launch an IMEI database tool online tomorrow, where customers who were affected can enter their device's IMEI number, and find out whether the device they have been provided with is a hazardous one, or a new replacement. Alternatively, owners can call Samsung customer service to have their device verified.
As of now, those affected can have their device replaced, or ask for a refund. In the US, you can also opt to swap to a Galaxy S7 or S7 edge. If you happen to own a Galaxy Note7, it is highly recommended that you power down the device without delay, in order to prevent any more accidents in the future.
Source: Samsung Australia via Business Insider
LOS ANGELES (AP) ? Casey Kasem was located in Washington state on Thursday, three days after a Los Angeles judge expressed concerns about the ailing radio host's whereabouts and safety.
Kasem's condition was not immediately known, although his children rejoiced after days of uncertainty and said in a statement that locating their father was the first step in bringing him back to the Los Angeles area.
Santa Monica police Sgt. Mario Toti said Kasem was located by the Kitsap County Sheriff's Department on Wednesday, hours after Kasem's children filed a missing person's report. Kasem's daughter Kerri, who was appointed his temporary conservator at a court hearing on Monday, had to wait for court filings before she was able to file the report.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Daniel S. Murphy ordered adult protective services and court investigators to try to locate Kasem after an attorney for his wife told the court that the former "Top 40" host was no longer in the United States but he did not know where he was.
Kerri Kasem's attorney Troy Martin said during the hearing that Kasem had been moved to an Indian reservation but was not sure because he had been frequently moved from medical facilities.
"We are grateful to the local authorities for finding my dad," Kerri Kasem wrote in a statement. "We are one step closer to bringing him home."
Casey Kasem, 82, has been in poor health in recent years. Kerri Kasem's court filings state her father is suffering from a form of dementia called Lewy Body Disease that had previously been incorrectly diagnosed as an advanced form of Parkinson's disease.
Until Monday, Casey Kasem's wife of 34 years, Jean, had been in control of his medical care and controlled access to him. She has blocked three of Kasem's children from a previous marriage, including Kerri Kasem, from seeing him in recent months, according to court filings.
Danny Deraney, a spokesman for Kerri Kasem and her siblings, said the family still had "grave concerns" about Casey Kasem's health.
Jean Kasem's attorney Craig Marcus argued Monday that his client had the right to move her husband to any facility she saw fit. Murphy said he had the authority to order an investigation into Casey Kasem's whereabouts and appointed an independent attorney and doctor to evaluate the radio host.
Australia's military is investigating whether a training exercise using explosives may have started one of the huge bush fires burning in the state of New South Wales.
The exercise took place at a base near the town of Lithgow in the Blue Mountains region on Wednesday.
It was the same day that a massive bush fire - which is still burning - began.
About 200 homes have been destroyed in dozens of fires which have been burning for several days.
The BBC's Jon Donnison in Sydney says this year's fires have come unusually early after unseasonably hot weather, and many are fearing a long and dangerous summer.
One man has died - possibly of a heart attack - while trying to protect his home.
The Australian Defence Force issued a statement about the fire burning between Lithgow and Bilpin, some 80 km (50 miles) north-west of Sydney, which is reported to have burned through 30,000 hectares (74,000 acres) and destroyed properties.
It said it was investigating the circumstances of the fire, which began on defence land.
"The fire started on 16 October, the same day that defence personnel were conducting an explosive ordnance training activity," the statement said. "Defence is investigating if the two events are linked.
"Our thoughts are with those who have lost property or whose property is threatened by these devastating fires."
Firefighters have been trying to make the most of a relatively cool day to tackle about 20 fires that are burning out of control, but higher temperatures and strong winds are expected to create difficult conditions in the coming days.
New South Wales Rural Fire Service Deputy Commissioner Rob Rogers said Saturday's conditions were a "pause", but that the fire perimeter stretched for more than 500km.
"We're by no means out of the woods," he told broadcaster ABC. "It's just calmed down a little bit and obviously we're bracing ourselves for these worsening conditions."
Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said some of the fires were so large they would take some time to completely extinguish.
"Firefighters will be working on these fires for weeks," he said.
"It's all about reducing the risk of these fires to breach containment lines and run under hotter, drier, windier condition over coming days."
Smoke and ash from the wildfires have blanketed the Sydney skyline.