A hidden Patch Tuesday gem: A Windows 7 hotfix rollup

http://www.zdnet.com/a-hidden-patch-tuesday-gem-a-windows-7-hotfix-rollup-7000012555/

Although Microsoft never officially announced that the Windows team will no longer be issuing service packs, that's widely believed to be the case. (Supposedly, the faster Windows iterations, starting with Windows Blue and Windows Server Blue, will replace service packs.)

win7

As far as we Microsoft watchers know, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 was the one and only service pack for Windows 7 that Microsoft plans to release. (And Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 was the only SP planned for Windows Server 2008 R2, as far as we know.) But just because there are no more service packs, per se, doesn't mean the Softies aren't providing the rough equivalent of what consituted a service pack.

As part of the myriad fixes and updates that Microsoft released on March 13, this month's Patch Tuesday, is the Slow Boot Slow Login (SBSL) Hotfix Rollup for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. This is a rollup of 90 hotfixes that were released after SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. These fixes improve overall performance and system reliability of both operating systems.

Included are improvements to the Distributed File System Namespaces (DFSN) client, Folder Redirection, Offline Files and Folders, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), SMB client and Group Policy, as detailed on the Ask Premier Field Engineering Platforms blog. The recommended steps for deploying the hotfix on both the client and Windows Server also is explained on the blog. The Knowledge Base article lists all 90 of the included hotfixes.

The direct download of the rollup is available here.direct download of the rollup is available here

As part of this week's Patch Tuesday updates, Microsoft also rolled out firmware updates for its Surface RT and Surface Pro tablet/PC hybrids.

There are 90 fixes in this.

KB2775511 Hotfix Rollup has 90 hotfixes

I saw a posting from ZDNet Must-Read News today, with the following headline:

A hidden Patch Tuesday gem: A Windows 7 hotfix rollup

Even though Microsoft supposedly is done releasing service packs for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, the company is still doing hotfix rollups.

According to An enterprise hotfix rollup is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

"This hotfix rollup contains 90 hotfixes that were released after the release of SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. These hotfixes improve the overall performance and system reliability of Windows 7 SP1-based and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1-based computers. We recommend that you apply this hotfix rollup as part of your regular maintenance routine and build processes for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 computers."

There is also an article about all this at

https://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepl...edirected=true

I am a big fan of the Patch Watch column, and this patch is not yet mentioned, and so I think I will hold off a bit.

In any case, this KB2775511 does not appear in the Windows Update offerings for my machine.

I just wondered if others here have applied it and would like to comment.

Thank you.

KB2775511 Hotfix Rollup has 90 hotfixes | Windows Secrets Lounge

http://www.zdnet.com...lup-7000012555/

Although Microsoft never officially announced that the Windows team will no longer be issuing service packs, that's widely believed to be the case. (Supposedly, the faster Windows iterations, starting with Windows Blue and Windows Server Blue, will replace service packs.)

win7

As far as we Microsoft watchers know, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 was the one and only service pack for Windows 7 that Microsoft plans to release. (And Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 was the only SP planned for Windows Server 2008 R2, as far as we know.) But just because there are no more service packs, per se, doesn't mean the Softies aren't providing the rough equivalent of what consituted a service pack.

As part of the myriad fixes and updates that Microsoft released on March 13, this month's Patch Tuesday, is the Slow Boot Slow Login (SBSL) Hotfix Rollup for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. This is a rollup of 90 hotfixes that were released after SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. These fixes improve overall performance and system reliability of both operating systems.

Included are improvements to the Distributed File System Namespaces (DFSN) client, Folder Redirection, Offline Files and Folders, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), SMB client and Group Policy, as detailed on the Ask Premier Field Engineering Platforms blog. The recommended steps for deploying the hotfix on both the client and Windows Server also is explained on the blog. The Knowledge Base article lists all 90 of the included hotfixes.

The direct download of the rollup is available here.direct download of the rollup is available here

As part of this week's Patch Tuesday updates, Microsoft also rolled out firmware updates for its Surface RT and Surface Pro tablet/PC hybrids.

thanks for the headsup Gary, good to see people who have a keen eye

it is. i just can't find it right now

i know i saw an article about it here on neowin a day or two ago

edit: and xendrome beat me to it with the article i was thinking of

Only 19 and 31 MB? I'm guessing a fair few are still omitted then? Regardless, still useful, thanks.

F*** it I despise IE only websites, especially when they don't work properly. Can't download them in IE10 for some reason

Anyone got a mirror? The catalogue site errors out with any browser including IE10

EDIT - Got it, using an ancient XP machine..... Win 7 machine failed to load the site....

Connected to a machine running Server 2003 / IE8 and it downloaded properly. Seems not to like IE10 for some reason :/

Only 19 and 31 MB? I'm guessing a fair few are still omitted then? Regardless, still useful, thanks.

F*** it I despise IE only websites, especially when they don't work properly. Can't download them in IE10 for some reason

Click settings > developer tools (F12) then change to IE9, worked for me

Capture.PNG

EDIT -Until the popup appears then same problem again

Fail MS, your newest browser doesn't even work on your own website

• Like 2

Anyone got a mirror? The catalogue site errors out with any browser including IE10

EDIT - Got it, using an ancient XP machine..... Win 7 machine failed to load the site....

No issues whatsoever on my Win 7 machine with IE10.

Click settings > developer tools (F12) then change to IE9, worked for me

Capture.PNG

EDIT -Until the popup appears then same problem again

I downloaded here with ie 10, no problems

I would also like a direct link that doesn't use Windows Update. I almost always have a problem going that route. If I find an alternate link first, I'll post it.

Thanks all.

Those are pretty small files for a rollup. The download includes a couple of .exe files, but no where near the size of the patch.

Here are the direct links to MS and the patches. Sizes are about 19MB and 31MB each. Not tested, so maybe someone can install them and report back (if they want to try it).

h**p://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/updt/2013/03/windows6.1-kb2775511-v2-x86_f298cf30fae9f581550d783ac9ad57fcbc7f7587.msu

h**p://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/updt/2013/03/windows6.1-kb2775511-v2-x64_ec18cc10e27faf443c17e7a8073c9eba773eb13e.msu

Those are pretty small files for a rollup. The download includes a couple of .exe files, but no where near the size of the patch.

Here are the direct links to MS and the patches. Sizes are about 19MB and 31MB each. Not tested, so maybe someone can install them and report back (if they want to try it).

h**p://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/updt/2013/03/windows6.1-kb2775511-v2-x86_f298cf30fae9f581550d783ac9ad57fcbc7f7587.msu

h**p://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/updt/2013/03/windows6.1-kb2775511-v2-x64_ec18cc10e27faf443c17e7a8073c9eba773eb13e.msu

Yea I zipped the small ones by mistake

Here are the 2 main ones

http://www.multiupload.nl/RYYF0TOBY8