GTA IV came out first using an earlier version of RAGE.

ha, that's what I get for guessing :laugh: I never did buy their excuse that the code was too "messy"

Also their table tennis game was the first to use RAGE, so the engine had been through a few revisions by the time RDR came about.

Is a Haswell i5 4440 good enough to run this game?

I am playing it at default settings and it is noticeably choppy. Here is a video with a 7970  and it is incredibly smooth and the graphics are stunning so must be much higher than mine.

My specs:

i5 4440

7970 Ghz

8 GB DDR3

1080p (not sure of the videos resolution)

This turned out to be a refresh rate issue which can only be set to 59 in game and with v-sync on locking it can cause stuttering.. forcing v-sync from the GPU settings rather than the game (or setting v-sync to half) fixes the problems. I can now run at (almost) full settings without any slow downs :D

Is anyone playing on Windows 10? I am having stupid low drops at times and sometimes it's just unplayable. A friend told me about a crashing issue when using DX11 so I have it at 10.1 and all the settings are as low as I can get them. I play at 1080 with a i7 4770 and an R9 270. I even turned off my second monitor to get a measly few more FPS.

An earlier suggestion about the VSync did help some.

That's a bug with the game, happens for many people on other windows versions too (win7, win8), also on many specifications. Not matter if it's highend, or not. Btw I get this too. Just wait for a patch. (this is what I'm doing)

edit: take a look here: https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203473047-GTA-V-PC-Stutter-Issue

Another GTA port with issues, jee who would have thought. I thought this one was different. sigh...

Another GTA port with issues, jee who would have thought. I thought this one was different. sigh...

From what I gather people with laptops that have switchable graphics cards (Intel + AMD ) cannot even start the game.

It is really strange since Max Payne 3 worked perfectly well on the same machines.

From what I gather people with laptops that have switchable graphics cards (Intel + AMD ) cannot even start the game.

It is really strange since Max Payne 3 worked perfectly well on the same machines.

I had this issue with Intel+Nvidia. Had to disable the Nvidia card before starting the game, then re-enable it shortly after in order for the game to work. This was fixed for me in the first patch.

I had this issue with Intel+Nvidia. Had to disable the Nvidia card before starting the game, then re-enable it shortly after in order for the game to work. This was fixed for me in the first patch.

A user advised the same thing on a dedicated Intel + AMD driver forum and unfortunately it did not work for many users, but it seems like R* took note!

A fix for switchable AMD + Intel gfx cards will probably not take too long.

Runs great here, almost never drop below 60 fps on all very high settings + 4x txaa. On this same machine gtaiv runs like trash, gtav is definitely far better optimized. only issue I've had is an occasional crash

I have a laptop with intel + nvidia gpu and the game worked since the day gta5 came out. So that bug is not happening for everybody. And I think gta5 is better optimized than gta4. I just wish that stuttering bug (starts lagg after a few minutes) wouldn't there....

Runs great here, almost never drop below 60 fps on all very high settings + 4x txaa. On this same machine gtaiv runs like trash, gtav is definitely far better optimized. only issue I've had is an occasional crash

I believe it. My friend I'm trying to play with has a much less powerful PC and is running fine. It's still pretty unacceptable to me.

Off topic, but I bought Max Payne 3 on day one, and I never enjoyed it.   My friend was staying over, and while I was at work, beat the game.  He liked it a lot.  But I found it way too different from what I loved in first 2 games.

I only finished 2 chapters.   Should I give it another go? Does it get much better?

Fine for me also. Tho social club decided to bug out last night.

Took me a while to fix. Repair didnt work. Re-installing it, didnt work.

What did work was creating a new windows user, logging in on it, starting the game. Quit then copy across the windows application data, from the new user to the old one.

Able to run most stuff on high or very high, all be it with some stuff like MX and AA turned down low.

Off topic, but I bought Max Payne 3 on day one, and I never enjoyed it.   My friend was staying over, and while I was at work, beat the game.  He liked it a lot.  But I found it way too different from what I loved in first 2 games.

I only finished 2 chapters.   Should I give it another go? Does it get much better?

Tough question to answer in all honesty. 

Personally I really enjoyed it and felt that they managed to capture a lot of elements that made the original great. It seemed that the game purposefully was "rebuilding" the Payne character as part of the story arc.. hence it starting slow. There are some maps that are set in NY which give a pretty good taste of how close they got to the source material... granted that they made NY after the negative fan reaction. Towards the end of the game it really starts to feel like a Max Payne game but ends way too soon. The story is also more on a R* level quality rather than Sam Lake.

The multiplayer however is freaking amazing. The guns are a bit unbalanced since R* never bothered to balance it but the action and skill needed make it a really addictive experience. 

There were rumors that the first 2 were being remade on the RAGE engine.... something that would work fairly well. 

• Like 1

So glad they also ported the 20 minute loading time.

The game performs pretty well on high settings... except for races. Those stutter like hell. Can't they lower detail when a race is loading? Bleh.

I thought the same... I have 60GB dedicated to this on my SSD and for what?

• Like 1

I've tried both SSD and 7200rpm HDD and load times are pretty much the same. I thought it might just be me.

Is anyone playing on Windows 10? I am having stupid low drops at times and sometimes it's just unplayable. A friend told me about a crashing issue when using DX11 so I have it at 10.1 and all the settings are as low as I can get them. I play at 1080 with a i7 4770 and an R9 270. I even turned off my second monitor to get a measly few more FPS.

An earlier suggestion about the VSync did help some.

The current Windows 10 build is full of debug code, so less than optimal performance in gaming is to be expected, really.

I'm running on Windows 8.1 with an i5 4670K, R9 280 & 16gb RAM with 2 displays @ 1080 in DX11 mode, and it's running smooth as silk. :)

Running this on gaming laptop with switchable graphics and no problms at all. Didn't have to disable anything or try any other "hacks".

Game is running at 1080p 60FPS with the majority of settings at high and some at very high with some scenes dropping to 50FPS but still more than playable. 

The game performs pretty well on high settings... except for races. Those stutter like hell. Can't they lower detail when a race is loading? Bleh.

Loads in under 60 seconds for me.

It wouldn't fit on a 60GB drive! Sorry, misread your post. :blush:

One thing that has always annoyed me about GTA/GTA clones is the music. Fortunately, GTA allows you to use your own mp3s... but they remained buried under one radio channel, which means that every vehicle swap is anther scroll through the less fun channels to the Self Station. This makes the 64 thousand dollar question... is there a setting to make it default to the Self Station all the time, or otherwise remove the rabble?

Hello sirszevenap,

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support.

We are aware of issues concerning various laptop cards and are working to resolve them. We thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Bowan G.

Rockstar Support

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203308668-GTA-V-on-Laptop-Issues-Intel-AMD?page=21

There will be a patch for these affected PXAI (Switchable AMD+ Intel graphics) some time soon

One thing that has always annoyed me about GTA/GTA clones is the music. Fortunately, GTA allows you to use your own mp3s... but they remained buried under one radio channel, which means that every vehicle swap is anther scroll through the less fun channels to the Self Station. This makes the 64 thousand dollar question... is there a setting to make it default to the Self Station all the time, or otherwise remove the rabble?

Id like this also. Only Self Radio or to auto tune to one I have chosen?

Wasn't this an option that was available in previous games? Pretty sure there was an option available to specify a 'Default Station' in perhaps San Andreas (or maybe even going back to Vice City). Shame that they removed it considering nowdays pretty much everyone already has their collection on the same device.

if you hold down 'q' in a vehicle you can select radio stations with the mouse, a lot quicker than scrolling