the majority of people aren't going to go out of their way to replace an optical drive just to install software or a game

And it's people like that who force companies to keep releasing titles on 5+ discs when it's simply not needed. We have the technology, use it

I managed to squeeze 30 mins in earlier, I didn't like the prologue car chase. I thought the handling was awful, crashing into anything and everything.

Having played the entire game on X360 and playing it now on my PC, I am now convinced that PC is the true Master Race. It's a totally different experience in a good way.

To be fair, if it was worse on PC than on a ten year old console, I'd be worried.

Quickly chiming in to say that I'm surprised the game runs fairly decent on the Q6600 paired with a GTX 670 at 1080p. I know the former is way overdue for an update but performance wise it's marginally laggier than GTA IV and episodes.

The launch seems to have been pretty smooth and there seems to be a pretty wide array of hardware this is capable of running reasonably well on.

It might have been delayed for PC but it seems that delay was worth it.

The launch seems to have been pretty smooth and there seems to be a pretty wide array of hardware this is capable of running reasonably well on.

Agreed, the launch has gone well and I'm loving the game, although I find myself having a few uh.. "issues" with at least one of the missions that really I don't think needed to be as is...

The one where Trevor tortures a guy for information.  Was kinda... gratuitous.. to say the least.  I'd rather have had an option NOT to do that...

Besides awfully slow download speeds for those who bought physical copies and had to download 5 GB patch or worse, had digital copy from Rockstar Warehouse and had to download entire game from their servers. Only those with Steam version had acceptable speeds.

Only those with Steam version had acceptable speeds.

I DL'd the entire thing from Steam in under an hour; all 65GB of it.  :D  Gotta love Steam and their CDN setup!

I don't think there was any doubt. They did a good job with Max Payne 3.

Now they just need to port Red Dead and the master race will be happy :laugh:

After the GTA IV port, there was doubt... Lots and lots of doubt... :p

After the GTA IV port, there was doubt... Lots and lots of doubt... :p

I agree if they hadn't released Max Payne 3 on PC afterwards. I would have been worried but Max Payne 3 was well optimized and worked.

Did they ever get GTA IV to work on PC?

Is a Haswell i5 4440 good enough to run this game?

I am playing it at default settings and it is noticeably choppy. Here is a video with a 7970  and it is incredibly smooth and the graphics are stunning so must be much higher than mine.

My specs:

i5 4440

7970 Ghz

8 GB DDR3

1080p (not sure of the videos resolution)

So...no official modding support... lazy Rockstar...

Take a look at the detail in the game, take a look at what they added between old gen and new gen, calling them lazy is a bit of a stretch.

• Like 2

Take a look at the detail in the game, take a look at what they added between old gen and new gen, calling them lazy is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, but modding is a must.

GTA IV's launch was pretty bad iirc.

RDR on PC would be so nice. I played that to death on PS3, but I would give it another run through on PC. Given how long ago it came out though I don't think R* would be worrying about porting it. Maybe if they do a sequel?

• Like 2

Looking good from that screenshot. What are the recommended settings that they give for a 980 at that resolution? What kind of min fps are you getting?

GTA5.png

(With AO on High too, couldn't fit that in)

The framerate is all over the place, on those settings I average around 40-60fps, with some pretty high variance (You can get dips down to ~40fps for a split second then back to a smooth 60fps) Strangely the recommended settings for 1920x1080 actually perform worse, I was regularly seeing FPS drops down into the low 30s

The default game settings are a underestimation, it would sit on 60 and barely drop below it, even in heavy scenes. And I couldn't tell a difference between the settings during the benchmark, comparing stills would show a big difference though.

GTA IV's launch was pretty bad iirc.

RDR on PC would be so nice. I played that to death on PS3, but I would give it another run through on PC. Given how long ago it came out though I don't think R* would be worrying about porting it. Maybe if they do a sequel?

According to Rockstar, RDR is so buggy and badly written (Being the first iteration of RAGE iirc) that there's no hope to porting it, of course with their pretty much complete lack of attention to the title since it's also possible it just didn't sell well enough (For them) to warrant further work on the title/series.

It sold 12.5M copies according to wiki and it was widely acclaimed. I can't imagine why they wouldn't or aren't showing it more attention. Oh well. This topic is about GTA V.

I should get my copy some time next week. 

GTA IV came out first using an earlier version of RAGE.

That can't be right. GTAIV is DX9 not OGL.