A windows 8-like Task Manager for Windows 7 ,work in progress!

torrentthief

OOOOO, very nice! This is one of the few things that makes me want to use win8: new task manager and new file explorer.

• Like 1
Growled

That's neat. I will give it a try. :)

• Like 1
Raa

Very nice, keep up the good work! (Y)

• Like 1
CoD511

I registered just to say this, fantastic work! It was one of the first things I looked for, a version for Windows 7 but sadly one wasn't available. Now there is :) Please keep up the good work!

• Like 1
+Anarkii

If I wanted to replace the default task manager with this one, what would I need to do - step by step?

(thats my way of saying EXCELLENT WORK MAN!)

• Like 1
+trag3dy

If I wanted to replace the default task manager with this one, what would I need to do - step by step?

(thats my way of saying EXCELLENT WORK MAN!)

I don't think there is a way to do that yet. While it's works decently it took me less than a minute to make it crash just fiddling with resizing the columns and going through the tabs. It's in no way reliable (yet) as the built in manager.

That being said it looks, great work.

• Like 1
MS Bob 10

Are you the same DBC who created DBCShell.exe with Vista like clock for XP? :)

• Like 1
+Anarkii

I don't think there is a way to do that yet. While it's works decently it took me less than a minute to make it crash just fiddling with resizing the columns and going through the tabs. It's in no way reliable (yet) as the built in manager.

That being said it looks, great work.

Bugger. Well please update this thread when a stable release is out :)

• Like 1
Hanrui

Are you the same DBC who created DBCShell.exe with Vista like clock for XP? :)

yes I am!

Bugger. Well please update this thread when a stable release is out :)

it's unstable now,please keep waiting thanks!!

• Like 1
paul0544

I tested replacing taskmgr with this in a VM to see if it would work and its fine. Thanks a lot for this! :)

?img=221367677518.png

• Like 1
YounGMessiah

Nice, ill keep an eye on this :)

• Like 1
Matt A. Tobin

I said this on the front page artical.. Real men use Process Explorer!

• Like 2
Brent Millard

Nice. Doesn't support custom dark themes though:

captureonm.jpg

• Like 1
plazma247

Nice, i will be keeping an eye on this as well, although it works (didnt crash on me) it doesnt sort by columns properly, eg show highest uses processes and keep refreshing to keep them in order.

Honestly the task manager and file copy operation is the only two things i like about windows 8.

There is a registry key under hklm from memory that points to task manager, so it wouldnt be hard to replace it with this. (http://marc-bourassa...indows-7-64-bit)

If you could update the post when / if you update it i would be grateful.

Regz PLAzmA

• Like 2
RickyF

Very nice. How can we know when you update this?

• Like 1
spyhunter88

Very nice, I love this interface more than in Windows 8 because font you choose is simple. But I get a bug about CPU and Disk, it almost appears in Disk. Some process get wrong CPU or Disk like below. I think you already know that.

I run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I love the Disk and Network in Windows 8 version.

post-490490-0-56548700-1368302115.jpg

• Like 1
chrisj1968

only issue I have with the cool little app is, my AMD A8-3520M CPU is listed only as a single core when it is a quadcore.

other then that.. bitchin' app!

Very nice, I love this interface more than in Windows 8 because font you choose is simple. But I get a bug about CPU and Disk, it almost appears in Disk. Some process get wrong CPU or Disk like below. I think you already know that.

I run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I love the Disk and Network in Windows 8 version.

I got the same thing however, in my case, they'd show up then immediately disappear.

• Like 1
chrisj1968

who is behind this nice app? I'd like to send them an issue..laptop issue.

CPUcores_zpsbc53b5b5.jpgpost-481392-0-87558700-1367432952.jpg

shows 4 distinct cores under the info. and no CPU speed above. other then that, what a nice little app!

• Like 1
Roxkis

Hell yeah!!! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Awesome job OP!

• Like 1
but_who_cares

Hello! As you can see the column "memory" always shows the zero value. Maybe I did not set up something?

Q86V86r.png

• Like 1
Roger H.

:o :o :o

post-481392-0-77191000-1368489618.jpg

Well slap my ass and call my Monica, that's built into Windows 8 as well... didn't even know you can change that manually.....

• Like 1
nekrosoft13

interesting :)

• Like 1
  • Skiver locked this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Windows 8 - Free Reference Card Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Claim your free reference guide today, before this offer expires.

This Windows 8 Quick Reference provides shortcuts, tips, and tricks for the popular operating system. Use it to brush up on the basics and to find alternate methods to your favorite commands.

This printable quick reference is yours to use, distribute, and share at your organization!

Along with this free reference card, if you are eligible, you will also receive a 30-day trial of CustomGuide training, including over 7,000 Online Skills Assessments and Interactive Tutorials.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> Windows 8 - Free Reference Card Bundle <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources | Limited time offer

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

Home Gym Giveaway | Ultimate Gaming Giveaway (feat. PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X) Ivacy VPN - 5-year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2-year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By indospot
      Here's what's new for Windows 8.1 and 7 this Patch Tuesday
      by João Carrasqueira

We're now two weeks deep into 2021, and since it's the second Tuesday of January, that means it's also time for the first Patch Tuesday of the year. Microsoft is rolling out cumulative updates for all supported versions of Windows, and that includes Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, assuming you're paying for extended security updates for the latter.

As usual, there are two sets of updates for the operating systems, one monthly rollup and one security-only update. The former rolls out to most users automatically, while the latter has to be downloaded manually. For Windows 8.1, this month's rollup is KB4598285 and it can be downloaded manually here. Here's what's new in this release:

The update includes a single known issue that we're familiar with by now:

Symptom Workaround Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege. Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

As for the security-only update, it's KB4598275, and you can download it manually here. It only includes the following changes:

It has the same known issue as the monthly rollup.

Turning over to Windows 7, again, you'll need to be paying for extended security updates for your organization to get these updates. It's also possible that the cost of these updates is doubling soon, since it's been one year since support was ended for the OS. Either way, if you're paying for them, the monthly rollup update is KB4598279 and you can download it manually here. It includes the following changes:

The only known issue is the same as for the Windows 8.1 updates above. Finally, the security-only update is KB4598289, and you can download it manually here. You'll only be getting the security updates mentioned in the last bullet point above, and the known issue is also the same as for the rest of the updates.

As mentioned above, the monthly rollup updates are usually installed automatically, but you may prefer downloading and installing them manually. With the security-only updates, you have no choice but to do it manually.

• By Usama Jawad96
      A canceled Windows Core OS build has reportedly leaked online
      by Usama Jawad

Back in 2018, it was reported that Microsoft is building a new, modern version of Windows 10 for PCs, codenamed Polaris. This would be under the Windows Core OS umbrella which also included Andromeda as the operating system for foldable mobile devices. It was rumored that this flavor of the operating system will strip much of the legacy code and compatibility issues that the OS is currently encumbered with. While Microsoft canceled both Polaris and Andromeda in 2018, and tapped Windows 10X as their replacement, a build of the former has now leaked online.

Windows Central reports that an old build of Polaris - the modular flavor for traditional PCs - has leaked online, but unfortunately, there's not much to be excited about. The leak is a very early build from 2018 and contains no shell or apps. This essentially means that it has no GUI either and is just the bare OS package.

While there's not much that can be messed around with in the build, some interesting tidbits are that it is an RS3 RTM build and is compatible with ARM32 architecture. This means that it can be booted up on the age-old Surface RT.

Polaris was supposed to be a modular version of Windows, offering better flexibility, power management, and performance. However, it is important to emphasize that the OS is no longer in development, and has been superseded by Windows 10X, which is slated to arrive in spring later this year. As this is a leaked build of the software and could contain undisclosed issues, we would advise against trying to tinker around with it on your primary machine.

Source: Windows Central

• By zikalify
      Firefox 84 launches with support for Apple Silicon CPUs
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has released Firefox 84 with native support for Apple Silicon CPUs. Firefox 83, by contrast, was released just after Apple’s CPU announcement and had to run using Apple’s Rosetta 2 emulation software on newer Macs.

Aside from support for Apple Silicon CPUs, it’s worth mentioning again that Firefox 84 is set to be the last version of Firefox that will include support for Adobe Flash. The plug-in, which has largely been supplanted by HTML5 and Unity, was first released in 1996 and sometimes acted as a security weak point.

Firefox 84 is a big update in terms of Mozilla’s rollout of WebRender, its Servo rendering architecture. The rollout has been extended to devices running macOS Big Sur, Windows devices with Intel Gen 6 GPUs, and Intel laptops running Windows 7 and 8. Linux users with the GNOME desktop with X11 will also get WebRender switched on in this update but it’s unclear when users of other desktop environments and of Wayland will get the feature switched on.

The final point worth mentioning also pertains to Linux; Mozilla says it is now using “more modern techniques” for allocating shared memory on Linux which improves overall performance and increases compatibility with Docker.

Head over to the Firefox website now to grab a fresh copy of the browser or wait for your existing installation to upgrade itself. You can also force the upgrade by going to the Menu button > Help > About Firefox where you should see the update download and eventually offer to restart the browser.

• By Abhay V
      Patch Tuesday: Here's what's new for Windows 8.1 and 7
      by Abhay Venkatesh

It is the second Tuesday of the month, which means that it is time for Patch Tuesday, the day that all supported versions of Windows receive cumulative updates, which include Windows 10 version, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 devices enrolled for Extended Security Updates (ESUs).

First up are the updates for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2. As usual, there are two sets of updates, the monthly rollup and the security-only update, with the latter only available for download manually. The monthly rollup is identified as KB4592484 and can be downloaded manually from the Update Catalog here. Here are the fixes in this update:

And there is one known issue in the update:

Symptom

Workaround

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

The security-only update is KB4592495 and can be manually downloaded from here. The fixes in this update are identical to the second and third points from the monthly rollup. It also shares the single known issue with the monthly rollup.

Next up are updates for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. It must be noted that these updates will be served only to users that have opted to pay for extended updates. The monthly rollup is KB4592471 and can be downloaded manually from here. Here is the list of fixes made in this update, which is almost identical to the one for Windows 8.1:

As for the known issues, the patch contains the rename operation bug for Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) files listed above, along with another issue specific to this version:

Symptom

Workaround

After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, “Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer,” and the update might show as Failed in Update History.

This is expected in the following circumstances:

If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU. For a complete list of which editions are supported, see KB4497181. If you do not have an ESU MAK add-on key installed and activated. If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the "How to get this update" section of this article.

The security-only update for these Windows versions is labeled KB4592503 and can be downloaded from the Update Catalog here. The list of fixes and known issues for this package is identical to that of the monthly rollup.

A quick note for Windows 10 users this week is that this month’s updates will be the last to roll out for Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) as it is reaching its end-of-support today. Support ends for all SKUs, including for Enterprise and Education users. While the Redmond firm has already begun moving users on this version to Windows 10 version 1909, if you are still running version 1903, it’s best to check for updates and move to a newer version.