A windows 8-like Task Manager for Windows 7 ,work in progress!

black_ps

Thanks Hanrui for posting the program and plazma247 for the link to change the default task manager!!

P:S: It has one big problem in Windows 7 X64 i can't end task any task !

IntegralDerivative

nice... but is it safe? the PC i use isnt really mine. :s :rolleyes:

black_ps

Sorry in the latest version it's working to end task i did not see this latest version only the first from page 1.

Current CPU speed can be show in " performance" page . not working see picture,anway the program is just great ,thanks and keep up the good work,i just wanted to report the bug not to insult somebody.

post-491378-0-73948000-1368981582.png

Brandon H

you're making some great progress on this Hanrui, keep up the great work :)

chrisj1968

:o :o :o

post-481392-0-77191000-1368489618.jpg

I appreciate you showing me that.

but_who_cares

Thnx for your great work and new version, sir Hanrui!

But my problem is still with me :)

Column "memory" always shows the zero value. Can I do something with this? Some Windows options? Any other solution?

What's the reason? I think the problem is my operating system and its build. Because other people are not faced with a similar problem. Or they are?

• 2 weeks later...
Raider480

Thanks for this, the newest version works great! You might want to update the first post to point to this though, so people get the most up-to-date version available.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is this open source?

Just one small thing, but the 'Memory usage' subtitle after clicking on Memory in the side tab is misspelled as 'Memory useage', though that might just be inherent in different English dialects.

Hanrui

spelling mistake

Main de Justice

I think this program should be fully skinnable or not at all, but not like it's now: asasasasasasasa.png

Main de Justice

OMG, it's amazing!!! This program even works with BlackGlassEnhanced! I love your work. I can even replace the default Task Manager using this tutorial http://bit.ly/12CEki3 , which I found by reading posts in this thread.

Drawde

This is fantastic Hanrui! Thank you so much for the work you've been putting into it

Main de Justice

Maybe the author is planning to create a ribbon for Windows Explorer too? That would be totally awesome!

black_ps

Maybe the author is planning to create a ribbon for Windows Explorer too? That would be totally awesome!

You mean the new Ribbon Explorer? if yes try http://better-explorer.com/

Main de Justice

Oh, yeah. I forgot, that the author isn't trying to renew, but create alternative programmes for default Windows programs.

Brandon H

i tried this but it's quite crash-y sadly

black_ps

Im sorry to hear that, i did not have any problem with it in Windows 7 Pro X64.

rad1oactive

Hello,

as one of he developers, I'd like to ask you to report your found bugs and crashes to our bug tracker.

If Better Explorer crashed, you should find a file ,"log.txt", in the following directory:

%System Drive%:\Users\%yourusername%\AppData\Roaming\BExplorer

please paste the contents of that file for example on pastebin.com, and open ticket on our bug tracker with this link, and your system specifications.

You can find the Bug Reports - page on top of the website, http://better-explorer.com/ ; http://bugtracker.better-explorer.com

You can register with any of your OpenID accounts.

Thanks for your help.

Brandon H

Hello,

as one of he developers, I'd like to ask you to report your found bugs and crashes to our bug tracker.

If Better Explorer crashed, you should find a file ,"log.txt", in the following directory:

%System Drive%:\Users\%yourusername%\AppData\Roaming\BExplorer

please paste the contents of that file for example on pastebin.com, and open ticket on our bug tracker with this link, and your system specifications.

You can find the Bug Reports - page on top of the website, http://better-explorer.com/ ; http://bugtracker.better-explorer.com

You can register with any of your OpenID accounts.

Thanks for your help.

i'll definitely do that as your app has great potential (just like the app this thread is for :))

• Skiver locked this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Patch Tuesday: Here's what's new for Windows 8.1 and 7 this month
      by João Carrasqueira

We're 13 days into October, but it's not truly a new month until Microsoft releases its Patch Tuesday updates for Windows, and as we're on the second Tuesday of the month, that happens today. Along with all supported versions of Windows 10, there are also new cumulative updates rolling out to Windows 8.1 and some Windows 7 users.

There are two kinds of updates for each operating system - the monthly rollup update and the security-only update. For Windows 8.1, the monthly rollup update is KB4580347 and you can download it manually here. It includes the following changes:

It also has a couple of known issues:

Symptom Workaround Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege. Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

When installing a third-party driver, you might receive the error, “Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software”. You may also see the error “No signature was present in the subject” when attempting to view the signature properties using Windows Explorer. This issue occurs when an improperly formatted catalog file is identified during validation by Windows. Starting with this release, Windows will require the validity of DER encoded PKCS#7 content in catalog files. Catalogs files must be signed per section 11.6 of describing DER-encoding for SET OF members in X.690.

If this happens, you should contact the driver vendor or device manufacturer (OEM) and ask them for an updated driver to correct the issue.

As for the security-only update, it's KB4580358 and you can download it manually here. It only includes the first and last of the bullet points from the monthly rollup. It also has the same known issues as the monthly rollup.

Of course, for Windows 7, only certain businesses can legitimately obtain the updates, since you need to be paying for extended security updates (ESU) after Microsoft dropped extended support for the operating system at the start of the year. The monthly rollup here is KB4580345, and you can download it manually here. It includes the following changes:

The update has one known issue:

Symptom Workaround Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege. Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

The security-only update here is KB4580387 and you can get it manually here. It includes the same changes as the monthly rollup, except the third and fourth bullet points. It also has the same known issue.

As usual, the monthly rollup updates should install automatically sooner or later, but if you want the security-only updates, you'll need to install them manually from the links above.

• By Rich Woods
      Office 2010 and Office 2016 for Mac reach their end of life
      by Rich Woods

Today is Patch Tuesday, and that means that some of Microsoft's products are nearing the end of support. It happens every single month. As Microsoft confirmed in a blog post, Office 2010 is getting its final updates today, as is Office 2016 for Mac.

The firm also reiterated that you'll need Office 2016 (for Windows), Office 2019, or Microsoft 365 Apps in order to connect to services like Exchange and SharePoint Online. Obviously, Microsoft wants users to switch to Microsoft 365. Office 2010 and Office 2016 for Mac are perpetual license products, meaning that you own them forever. Indeed, after today, they're no longer supported, but you can use them for as long as you want, albeit in an insecure state. Microsoft 365 is obviously a subscription product that keeps you paying if you want to use it.

Speaking of keeping yourself updated, there are some end of life dates for Windows 10 coming up as well. First up is version 1809, which will no longer be supported after next month. In fact, support for Windows 10 version 1809 was extended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Because of that, support for version 1903 is also coming to an end soon, but that one will be in December.

• By indospot
      Here's what's new for Windows 8.1 and 7 this Patch Tuesday
      by João Carrasqueira

We are now in the second Tuesday of September, and in usual Microsoft fashion, that means it's Patch Tuesday. Every supported version of Windows is getting updates today, and that includes Windows 8.1. Plus, if you're paying for extended security updates (ESU), there are new updates for Windows 7, too.

As usual, there are two flavors of the monthly updates, one containing only security fixes and one with other quality fixes, the monthly rollup update.

For Windows 8.1, the monthly rollup is KB4577066, and it can be downloaded manually here. It contains the following fixes:

It also has a single known issue that's been around for months:

As for the security-only update, it's KB4577071, and it can be downloaded manually here. It only includes these updates:

It has the same known issue as the monthly rollup.

As for Windows 7, which - again - is only getting updates for paying ESU customers, the monthly rollup update is KB4577051, and it can be downloaded manually here. Here's what's changed:

The only known issue is the same as for Windows 8.1. Microsoft also notes that the update will fail to install if you don't have a valid key to receive security updates beyond the original end of support date.

As for the security-only update, it's KB4577053, and it can be downloaded manually here. It contains these changes:

It has the same known issue mentioned above.

As a reminder, the quality updates are usually automatically installed through Windows Update, but you'll need to download the security-only updates manually if you want them.

• By Infernoprince
      Hi all,

I'm running windows 7 x64.

The BSOD occured after I used a program called driver hub to update my drivers. It was going well, however after attempting to download a driver (I believe it had to do with a USB driver but I can't confirm) my computer shutdown. I restarted the computer and tried to reinstall the driver, I also got a prompt to update windows so I did that as well. My computer shutdown again but this time it loaded into a BSOD.

I've tried to boot into safe mode and it starts loading drivers but then stops and shuts down. I tried to use last know good configuration but that didn't work either. I tried to load into automatic repair mode but that didn't work, and system restore doesn't work either. I do however have access to command prompt, windows memory diagnostics, and system image recovery (although it says windows cannot find a system image on this computer)

Technical Information on blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF8800194A02D, 0xFFFFF880009A9468, 0xFFFFF880009A8CD0)

*** asstahci64.sys - Address FFFFF8800194A02D base at FFFFF88001934000, Datestamp 599a919f
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      Information from startup repair
      Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
      Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
      Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
      Problem Signature 03: unknown
      Problem Signature 04: 21198527
      Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
      Problem Signature 06: 11
      Problem Signature 07: 0x1000007e
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID: 1033

---------------------------------------------------
      Diagnosis and repair details:
      Root cause found:
      Unknown Bugcheck: Bugcheck 1000007e. Parameters = 0xffffffff80000003, 0xfffff8800ad8502d, 0xfffff880033dfec8, 0xfffff880033df730.

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
      Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
      Time taken = 136422 ms
      Session details
      System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
      Windows directory = D:\Windows
      AutoChk Run = no
      Number of root causes = 1

Ask me if you need any other information.
    • By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft apparently just fixed a Windows security flaw first reported to it in 2018
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft fixed quite a number of bugs in this month's Patch Tuesday update, which came out last week. While it packed numerous fixes for various versions of Windows, it did draw some criticism for the handling of a security vulnerability that was reported to it by Google.

However, it appears that the Redmond giant's security woes are not yet over as a new report claims that the firm just fixed a Windows zero-day exploit that was reported to it back in 2018.

Last week, Microsoft fixed a security hole in various versions of Windows that mainly deals with the operating system's incorrect handling of file signatures. In CVE-2020-1464, the company noted that:

In a blog post on Medium, security researcher Tal Be'ery has explained that Bernardo Quintero, a manager at VirusTotal - a service owned by Google - first discovered the vulnerability being exploited back in August 2018. This exploit, internally called "GlueBall", was immediately reported to Microsoft and the findings were published in January 2019 by Quintero. Microsoft acknowledged the issue and added mitigation actions in supporting tools, but stated that it would not fix the issue in the operating system itself. The reasoning behind this decision is not public.

After this, several blog posts were published by other people, explaining how to use GlueBall to exploit Windows. Then in June 2020, GlueBall was once again highlighted by prominent social media accounts.

It would seem that roughly around this time, Microsoft began to take this issue seriously and a proper fix to the gaping security hole was finally released in this month's Patch Tuesday. According to Microsoft's security advisory, this flaw was present in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, RT 8.1, Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019, and Windows 10, going all the way up to version 2004, and that it was exploited across numerous versions of the operating system.

In a vague statement to KrebsonSecurity, Microsoft stated that:

The handling of this incident from Microsoft's end is extremely strange, to say the least. One has to wonder why Microsoft delayed fixing a Windows security flaw for nearly two years, especially when it was present in virtually all major versions of the operating system.

Source: Tal Be'ery (Medium) via KrebsonSecurity