Hair Becomes all Frizzly and Puffy after Shampoo..

sphere

When you start to shampoo or condition each shower, your hair starts to depend on it and stops producing its own natural moisturising and conditioning extracts. I only do mine every few days. It doesn't get very oily, and in fact, if I do wash it too much, my scalp will go dry. It really depends on the individual and hair though.

~clean

try to just shampoo reg, using conditioners and stylers will weaken the hair and damage it, causing frizzyness. If you can shower or bath least one a day to keep you smelling nice. as sphere said, leave washing your hair for 2/3 days to let the hair stay healthy and try not to go overkill on the style products.

Unfortunaly each peoples hair is different. try to find your balance. Me ive got long hair blond hair thats thin. I shower every day but only wash my hair every other. I dont use conditioner or style products and its silky smooth and healthy. i also use once a week "head n sholders" just to keep that dandruff at bay :p. I also use Lorel shampoo which i find is the best. I also like timote :).

So good luck, if worst comes to worst and hair starts falling out goto a hairdresser and get some advice from them direct :)

pylesj

Oh man, my hair does that... Its hard to describe... its just like... pooof... my hair is weightless and it sticks out wherever it wants... like its too soft and doesnt have anything to hold it down.

Josh

Avada

-use conditioner

-use gel

-wash it in the morning, sleeping on it messes it up

-humidity will make it a mess, sometimes you cant do much about this

;)

that's all

ze-newie
I don't like curly hair. :p

:o but it's so spiffy

well I think mine is... :rolleyes:

fcuk.jpg

Yeah depending on your hair type, you might not have to wash it everyday. Use a separate shampoo/conditioner, too, the combo ones aren't very good. If you try that and your hair is still unruly, try a light styling cream, they don't make your hair 'crunchy' or sticky. L'oreal makes a lot of hair products that are good for guys, not $$ either.

Edited by ze-newie
username

my hair is naturally curly like that, best tip is to keep it cut so that the flipped out ends never get too long, i also use a mousse with frizz controle sometimes

i know what you mean though if you dont wash everyday the oil can build up and it does not get as frizzy, but then it gets the dirty oily look, so you have to get a good mix in between

JohnsonBox

More info is needed. Such as how about changing your shampoo ... does any shampoo make your hair like that? The chemical ingredients of each shampoo is diff.

Evolution

If you shaved your head bald, or went for a buzz cut, you wouldn't be having this problem :D

sphere

ze-newie, is that an offer on your shirt? :blush:

What products have most of you all found to be the best at helping manage and defrizz your hair?

Inertia
:o but it's so spiffy

well I think mine is... :rolleyes:

http://members.shaw.ca/england2003/fcuk.jpg

Yeah depending on your hair type, you might not have to wash it everyday. Use a separate shampoo/conditioner, too, the combo ones aren't very good. If you try that and your hair is still unruly, try a light styling cream, they don't make your hair 'crunchy' or sticky. L'oreal makes a lot of hair products that are good for guys, not $$ either.

I agrea :D

Beastage

Just shave it..... hair is for losers :D

poind
Anyways, I don't like gel and mousse that much because it makes my hair hard and nasty.

Also, would using a "leave on" conditioner help?

(1) Ask your hair care pro for their thoughts (though buying products directly from them can be more expensive). Might be worth it to find an affordable salon (like a local Aveda one?) and try them at least once. You should be able to get a good guy's haircut for about $20 or so. Ask before you book your appt what the cost is. If/when you go, ask away with questions about hair care for you personally, though just be forewarned they'll promote their own salon's products and probably won't get into discussing specific brands much if at all outside their own stuff.

(2) Yes, a leave-in conditioner (*probably* not bought at the grocery store) would probably help you most.

(3) Don't sleep with a wet/damp head. You're best off showering in the morning, and I'd probably shampoo daily. Some girls go longer (more hair and all), but I'd think daily would be a good thing for most guys.

(4) If you use a light gel or mousse, or just a small amount, your hair won't be hard and nasty. Again, don't get it at the grocery store unless you know what you're doing--can even be more expensive there than in a discount shop. Some grocery stores (major chains) do carry Paul Mitchell and L'Anza products, or stuff like L'Oreal.

(5) Try rotating your shampoos a bit. Maybe Finesse, Herbal Essence, and a salon product. For salon products, get them at your local "discount beauty supply" store. Rotation can be good for your hair as they all work a little bit differently.

(6) If you want to invest in such things (and do have a local discount shop), look into Nexxus products, as well as stuff like L'Anza and Paul Mitchell. You're looking for a shampoo (like Nexxus Therappe) and a leave-in conditioner (like Nexxus Humectress). A light gel (L'Anza stuff) can help too. Just don't use a lot. Be warned that Nexxus can be pricey, but not always (esp. if you buy the super-large sizes). Perhaps ask shop salesperson for recs if you want something more affordable.

(7) ANYway....Finesse does do a pretty darn good shampoo and "rinse-out" conditioner. You probably could start with a leave-in conditioner (like L'Anza Re-Balance) followed by a moderate gel (like L'Anza Urban Elements). Don't need to be using much of either at all. Just the two should make a big difference.

....Darn. Didn't know girlfriends had trained me so much. ;)

Rudy

i cant believe this!! i thought most people would wash their hair AT LEAST once a day :x

i have a shower everyday and sometimes if i have time i have one at night too and i wash my hair EVERYTIME i have a shower so once-twice a day

but then i HAVE to wash my hair because i use a hand full of gel ;)

sphere
i cant believe this!! i thought most people would wash their hair AT LEAST once a day :x

i have a shower everyday and sometimes if i have time i have one at night too and i wash my hair EVERYTIME i have a shower so once-twice a day

but then i HAVE to wash my hair because i use a hand full of gel ;)

Everyone's hair is different. Some people can go for a long time without washing it (using shampoo). I understand if you use a handful of gel, but if you don't abuse your hair and rub your head in dirt then usually it can last a while.

The more you wash your hair, the less it becomes dependant on your own natural cleaning extracts and the more it becomes dependant on unnatural products.

WigglesTheFish
EDIT: I don't play on shaving my head, so that's out! :p

shame... i had frizzy hair... then started buzzing my hair... not a problem since ;)

lara_rose

it sounds like the cuticles of your hair is really messed up, abit like how a feather would look if the natural grain is scrapped the other way..you need to smooth out cuticles so it lies flat and smooth (which incidently is what makes hair shiny in relective light)

try using a hair mask after shampooing...leave in for 20 mins or so and then rinse out. (only use once a month or twice if damage is bad)

minimal styling with hairdryers, tongs, straightners is also advise ..just leave it to dry naturally.

and yes washing with cold water is better because it seals the hair and closing the cuticles thus making it less vulnerable to damage.

but of course i like my straighteners and hot showers and baths too much to change,,,but give it a go if you are desperate :p

bkellner

Post some pictures :p

Edited by krazie
ze-newie
ze-newie, is that an offer on your shirt? :blush:

:laugh:

What products have most of you all found to be the best at helping manage and defrizz your hair?

I've found this product works pretty well

sslooselystyling.JPG

it's Salon Selectives Loosely Defined Styling Cream... the best part is it's only $3 CAD

There are other products that are realllly good like Redken's Lush Whip but that's about $20 :o

Get stuff with silicone in it, or dimethicone. They help with the frizz.

hifive

Sorry about reviving a dead thread.

try a light styling cream, they don't make your hair 'crunchy' or sticky

Is that like a light Gel or Mousse? What exactly is a styling cream? Can these be bought off the shelf? I went out to walmart and couldn't find a light mousse or gel. All of them were "extra hold" , "strong hold" , "mega control" and the like.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Btw, nice hair newie. :)

Riz360

The hair become frizzy and puffy because the shampoo ionised the hair, making all the strands the same charge so they repel each other.

Use a shampoo that does'nt ionise?

Jediweasel

Ladies and gentlemen...our main attraction...Carrot Top !!!!

:whistle:

Riz360
Are you serious!? Or was that sarcasm. :blink:

no what i said about the hair ionising was true the other bit was just a joke,

but the shampoos that advertise, thicker fuller hair and just shampoos that ionise the hair thats it

hifive

Ah, Ok. Well my hair's thick enough as it is, so I don't usually use the thicker, fuller shampoo.