RUMOR: Microsoft Under Clocking Xbox One By 100-200mhz

xbox1__medium.jpg

About a month ago I was told by an unnamed source that Microsoft was having heating issues with the Xbox One. There wasn?t enough details to go forward with a story so it was kept under wraps until more information surfaced on this issue. Today, a completely different source close to the Xbox One project, informed me that Microsoft will have to under clock the Xbox One about 100-200mhz to fix the systems heating issues.

What does this mean to developers? Well we already know that the PS4 is more of a powerhouse than the Xbox One. It has faster RAM and bus bandwidth than the Xbox One already. Under clocking the system will widen the gap between the two consoles, but at the same time will keep the failure rate on the Xbox One very low. The last thing we need is another RRoD fiasco. In terms of games, you will see a significant difference in multiplatform titles. Lower clock speed means lower frame rates. This means that a game running 60fps on PS4 may only run at 30fps on Xbox One. Even given the current specs, this would probably still be the case except now we are under clocking the GPU. This could affect other things like the Peak Shader Throughput. If Minecraft were to be released for both Xbox One and PS4, you?d see no difference. A game like Battlefield 4 my run at a lower framerate on the Xbox One than it does on the PS4. We still don?t know how much the eSRAM is going to boost or hinder performance of the Xbox One. We also can?t leave out the fact that every developer, every game and every engine runs differently. They could theoretically boost frame rates on the Xbox One to match PS4 by turning off AA effects and lowering resolution.

I?ve received this information from two different sources, but I would still chalk it up as a rumor until we are able to get more information from Microsoft. Things could still change between now and launch. I wouldn?t worry too much about this problem because under clocking the system is the safest route to go when issues like this arise. The biggest test will be when Digital Foundry gets their hands on the first multiplatform next generation title.

http://www.stfuandplay.com/story/content/microsoft-under-clocking-xbox-one-by-100-200mhz#.Ua9Luj9N9TX

Via...

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EFZpuupZElKzPIKOIr.php?utm_source=scenyxfeeder&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.360crunch.net/forum/threads/4538-RUMOR-Xbox-ONE-to-be-underclocked-by-200Mhz

Doesn't surprise me, rumours are they are having yield issues with ESRAM as well.

This means that a game running 60fps on PS4 may only run at 30fps on Xbox One.

This is what I've been saying all along but apparently to some people I'm a fanboy and an idiot who knows nothing because Microsoft will have modified the GPU to plug the massive performance gap.

*** IF **** it's true, it may also be so they can get higher chip yields at manufacturing as well.

I feel the XboxOne and PS4 are slow similar in hardware, that the gap in difference won't really matter, but will be use for fanboys to attach each other with.

You'll have under optimized games on xyz system, causing it to look better on the other when it shouldn't.

You'll highly optimized exclusives optimal for the system there on that will look amazing.

Doesn't surprise me, rumours are they are having yield issues with ESRAM as well.

This is what I've been saying all along but apparently to some people I'm a fanboy and an idiot who knows nothing because Microsoft will have modified the GPU to plug the massive performance gap.

This is only because every time a new console comes out this debate starts about how much powerful one console is than the other and it never makes any difference and I doubt it will be any noticeable difference here. But I cant wait to get my hands on both.

• Like 2

This is only because every time a new console comes out this debate starts about how much powerful one console is than the other and it never makes any difference and I doubt it will be any noticeable difference here. But I cant wait to get my hands on both.

That's because all consoles in history have had different chips and architectures, this generation they have identical CPU and GPU architectures so can be directly compared.

• Like 3

So, another day another X1 rumor. God E3 can't come soon enough so we can put most of these to rest finally.

Another rumor that started on NeoGAF with apparently reputable sources (but some still questioning). I wish Microsoft directly address all of these rumors but they won't sadly. :/

There is also another thread on NeoGAF where another reputable source has said these heat problems are there but they won't require underclocking. At this point, I have just given up believing either side. :laugh:

It's funny how tight of a lid Microsoft had on the information prior to reveal and now it's like there is news from every corner. All rumors are surprisingly bad sounding(hardware problems, heat, used games, underspec-ed) and there has been not a single interesting rumor.

I think your need to read back on your posts where you assume rumors as facts and then draw conclusion based on questionable information and FUD. You also assumed/implied that while Sony made wise design choices to help build a better SoC but Microsoft just used stock parts and called it a day. I read a post on NeoGAF that said that while Sony has massive bandwidth and a powerful GPU, Microsoft has a more balanced GPU+bandwidth combo (again supposedly in-the-know poster on GAF).

In the end, we don't know until all specs are properly vetted by likes of ars and anandtech.

So, another day another X1 rumor. God E3 can't come soon enough so we can put most of these to rest finally.

If microsoft was too afraid to talk specs at that joke they called a reveal, what makes you think they will at e3?

If microsoft was too afraid to talk specs at that joke they called a reveal, what makes you think they will at e3?

I thought that was underwhelming but didn't Sony do the same thing? Besides, that reveal (sadly) wasn't for the gaming community so hopefully that's the reason they didn't. (some are calling lack of mention of CPU speed as a sign of heat/yield issues).

I think your need to read back on your posts where you assume rumors as facts and then draw conclusion based on questionable information and FUD. You also assumed/implied that while Sony made wise design choices to help build a better SoC but Microsoft just used stock parts and called it a day. I read a post on NeoGAF that said that while Sony has massive bandwidth and a powerful GPU, Microsoft has a more balanced GPU+bandwidth combo (again supposedly in-the-know poster on GAF).

In the end, we don't know until all specs are properly vetted by likes of ars and anandtech.

I don't want to turn this into another y vs z post but its a simple extrapolation from the specs that Microsoft gave out at the architectural briefing.

I don't want to turn this into another y vs z post but its a simple extrapolation from the specs that Microsoft gave out at the architectural briefing.

The only new thing they gave at the briefing was the CU count. There are still many missing pieces. I also find it funny that people are willing to trust the CU count but not the "power of the cloud" thing (both coming from the same team).

The only new thing they gave at the briefing was the CU count. There are still many missing pieces. I also find it funny that people are willing to trust the CU count but not the "power of the cloud" thing (both coming from the same team).

CU count is quantifiable, the cloud is nebulous. If you know the number of stream processors you can extrapolate the number of CUs and since we know both are using AMD GCN architecture you can do a very real baseline comparison.

The 300,000 server number is silly, I'd wager they are virtual servers on a smaller number of actual hardware.

It's because believing that the cloud is useful for realtime rendering, the ones clear weakness vs the ps4, is a laughable idea.

• Like 5

I wouldn't call you a fanboy for any of that in particular, but your real issue there is that only the most hardcore gamers will care about the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Everyone else will go on their way and be none the wiser and Sony's investment to be able to run games at that rate won't mean much.

Every time around specs are debated to death, yet somehow people don't seem to take history into account, in that most of the market doesn't care, as long as they get the games they want.

The market does care, if one looked better than the other or ran double the framerate I would be annoyed that I'm paying the same price but getting worst experience just because I bought Box Y instead of Box Z.

The market does care, if one looked better than the other or ran double the framerate I would be annoyed that I'm paying the same price but getting worst experience just because I bought Box Y instead of Box Z.

No they don't because they likely won't look significantly better, even if you were playing them side by side, and if you're not, then most people won't notice much. The console market hasn't cared much in the past and it won't likely start to care any time soon. It's the same mistake all you people make every single time around.

The mistake you are making is assuming it will be the same this time around, every console in history has always had different cpu and gpu architectures so you couldn't directly compare them. This generation they are running the same AMD CPU/GPU architecture but one with significantly worse specs.

Xbox One has 12CU GPU with 768 Stream Processors, PS4 has 18CU GPU with 1152 Stream processors, go look up the benchmarks for 7750 vs 7850 and tell me thats not significant.

Nevermind, can't be bothered trying to explain anymore. We'll see at E3.

The mistake you are making is assuming it will be the same this time around, every console in history has always had different cpu and gpu architectures so you couldn't directly compare them. This generation they are running the same SIMILAR AMD CPU/GPU architecture but one with significantly worse specs.

Big difference there.

The mistake you are making is assuming it will be the same this time around, every console in history has always had different cpu and gpu architectures so you couldn't directly compare them. This generation they are running the same AMD CPU/GPU architecture but one with significantly worse specs.

It doesn't matter. Both consoles will look great and play the games perfectly fine at 1080p.

Btw, same neogaf thread also has this,

Also someone has suggested to me sony is doing the same, but I've heard from Sony devs the machine is very mature and not facing the issues Xbox One is. Microsoft started late.
and if the CPU or GPU sections of the chip are causing any issues then expect to see the same from sony, they're using the same architecture, chip foundry, and even roughly similar die sizes

I wonder if the heat issues are from Microsoft trying to overclock the GPU to somewhat reduce the perf. gap.

It's because believing that the cloud is useful for realtime rendering, the ones clear weakness vs the ps4, is a laughable idea.

No one claimed cloud will be used for real time rendering.

but you are never going to buy Xbox One (conclusion based on your own posts). Most of the market just buys whatever is advertised more (i.e. has more band recognition).

• Like 1

Big difference there.

Same 1.6GHz AMD Jaguar 8 Core CPU, same AMD Southern Islands 7xxx series GPU. 12CU/768 shaders vs 18CU/1152 shaders, go look up 7750 vs 7850, that's the kind of performance gap they will have.

but you are never going to buy Xbox One (conclusion based on your own posts). Most of the market just buys whatever is advertised more (i.e. has more band recognition).

I might have to if the leaked Fable 4 rumour is true but not until it drops in price :(

• Like 1

Whatever anybody says, when it comes to launch. Multi platform games will both play similarly, both in fps and graphical department. Sure exclusives may look better on one console. Just like this generation.

At the end of the day, it comes down to gameplay and like this generation, we're going to be spoilt for choice on both consoles.

Stop reading rumours and wait till Microsoft actually confirm these rumours.

Oh my...

Microsoft has cancelled its #E3 post-press conference roundtable w/ the media. Not sure what to make of that.