Official - Xbox One Needs To Connect To The Net Every 24Hrs For Gaming

What are soldiers doing in Afghanistan playing Xbox?

Taking a break? some down time at the end of the day? maybe they're civilian contractors working for ISAF/NATO

What kind of person plays Xbox in the woods? Isn't the whole idea of camping out in the woods to get away from technology? For the garage, get AMPED WIRELESS!!!!!!!!!!

Right over your head, my point was it's irrelevant, the restriction shouldn't even be in place.

If money is that tight, how would you afford a console in the first place? That's like complaining that you can't drive a car if you can't afford gas.

Because they HAD the money, then I don't know something happened and they needed to pay a 20,000 medical bill(aka one hospital trip in the US for a sore throat)

And you keep comparing things that shouldn't be compared, that's like complaining your car can't fly because it doesn't have wings... see I can say stupid things too....

Now, if people were complaining the xbox one requires electricity to run, comparable.

But we're talking about playing a game OFFLINE on a console and game you purchased and have in your possession.

If money is that tight, how would you afford a console in the first place? That's like complaining that you can't drive a car if you can't afford gas.

If you do not think this is a reality some people absolutely face, you must live a pretty charmed life.

I have family members who frequently move because they eventually get evicted because they were behind on their rent. They are pretty much modern day gypsies. My cousin loves playing his XBox 360, and I just checked, the last time he was on live was last year. He goes to his local library to use the internet. He gets games to play from people like myself, who have no issue giving him games as he is family.

You should only have to authenticate each game one time, then as long as you play it on that particular console it should leave you alone. If you install a new game or change consoles than that should be the only time you have to authenticate again. They can take this phoning home crap and stuff it.

Over close to 20 years, I've never had a case where my Internet connectivity was out for more than a few hours, so this would never pose a problem. There may be some extremely rare cases where it's a problem, but the last thing I'd be thinking about in those cases is playing video games.

You're on the internet right now. Why does it matter? I don't understand...

Do you people live in a bubble? Do you understand that not everyone's experiences are your own?

What about people with terrible/unstable internet connections, what about people with no internet connections? (ie armed forces)

What about people who go on holidays?

When I was on my stag, we were in a log cabin in the woods that had a TV and we brought a 360, 4 controllers and NHL 13 and played a tournament with the guys. Guess what, the place had no internet! Now, that would not be possible with the XB1.

Just a really bad move, this means something to a lot of people.

• Like 4

This is one of the most asinine statements I've ever read on neowin.

Soldiers aren't allowed down time? WTF do you expect them to do?

Seeing how most of this sounds left up to the developers/publishers to push, now instead of online passes you'll have offline codes heh, I'd say you'll see close to the same on the PS4.

This every 24 hour check-in is implemented by Microsoft. The used games have been left up to the publisher. Not sure how much more clear they need to make it.

What about if you haven't used your console for a few days, internet goes down and you decide to play a game to pass the time? Whoops 24hrs have passed since last play so no gaming for you.

Also, holiday homes etc. with no access to internet. Consoles can be handy for passing the time on wet/cold days.

Why would your connection go down for more than 24 hours?

Not everyone has good internet service available to them, a lot of people are stuck with ****ty unreliable internet.

You do realise that you are not everybody else, right? That your life experiences will differ wildly from others?

People that live in a bubble crack me up.

I'm not everybody, but I'm pretty average. The people complaining about this are blowing it way out of proportion, unless I'm wrong and 99% of Xbox players are in Afghanistan, camping out in the woods their whole life, or live in a garage with no wifi.

What? I actually know people who serve in both Afghanistan and Iraq and they were able to use the internet on base.

I was referring to the terrorists in the caves.

...After work (patrols/other) and sleep you still have about 3-5 hours a day where you're usually not allowed to leave base, watching TV and playing video games occupies most of that time. Do you think soldiers work 24/7 just because they're in Afghanistan?

Even with largely reliable internet, as mine has been, when something does go wrong, it REALLY goes wrong. Hence taking a week or more to be resolved.

I'm not the most unlucky person on earth, this stuff happens.

To everyone that was comparing Steam to Xbox, i can right click and select Offline Mode. Can i do this with Xbox?

This every 24 hour check-in is implemented by Microsoft. The used games have been left up to the publisher. Not sure how much more clear they need to make it.

Yes, but I was referring to the part that says it's up to the 3rd party publishers to block lending or reselling of the games or charge a fee for it. So, if they have that much control they'll probably have the ability to also issue a offline code which could then require a disc check like the 360 does now. We already know they talked about looking into a system where they have exceptions to the 24hr online check, for military personnel, it could mean they're working out the details with 3rd parties still.

Enron, this probably wont matter to me (and I for one always have my Xbox connected to LAN as mentioned earlier) - I was asking for the case of other people like my cousins in Jamaica. I've shipped Xbox 360s there because they wanted one but they never went online with it. Obviously this means no Xbox One for them. In Kingston and other cities/large towns they'll have no problem with internet but there are places that can't get landlines/cable because of it's remote location. They get power and after tending to the goats (haha, don't laugh :p) they might wanna go play some Xbox. LOL

Well if anything that means I wont be shipping any there then, more money in my pocket! :yes:

To everyone that was comparing Steam to Xbox, i can right click and select Offline Mode. Can i do this with Xbox?

Maybe? As I've said in a few posts, they said they're looking into exceptions and situations where you can't access the internet at all, like if you're in the military. The post they made today didn't touch on that subject so we don't know yet.

My connection was down for over a month because a car crashed in to a telegraph pole.

I would have switched ISPs because of the length of time it took to repair a pole.

So its only a little bit worse than steam ? So what both still suck.

All games these days come with mandatory online bloatware.

If I understand correctly, unlike with the 360 once I install a game on the Xbox 1 I don't need the disk to play it, right? If that's the case, I can almost understand the check-in every 24 hours while playing without the disk, however, if I put the disk in I should be able to play however long I want while offline. Should be a simple thing to implement. I'm not that worried myself as I have a consistent connection, but I can understand it might be a problem for some.

• Like 2

I would have switched ISPs because of the length of time it took to repair a pole.

I dunno about England and other parts of the world but here in CT if the someone crashes into a pole and takes it out, my ISP can't do **** till they are given the OK from the power company. After Hurricane Sandy, we had power but ISPs weren't allowed to mount fix their lines for a bit (in some places they still cant and or WON'T - See Verizon not returning DSL to Sandy victims). There was a freak wind storm last month in Weston, CT and it knocked down some trees which took out some poles - the power company first has to shut down power to the affected area, do their clean up, re string the WHOLE area (not just 1 pole, since they are all linked, pulling down 1 knocked down another 10-20 more). In general they don't power just 1 street so even if all your poles are connected and up, if the workers are still down the street working on stuff they can't turn on ANYTHING till it's all 100% fixed. Until that time as well internet wont be working because the ISP's nodes uses electricity on those poles so they wont be working either.

• Like 2

I'm not everybody, but I'm pretty average. The people complaining about this are blowing it way out of proportion, unless I'm wrong and 99% of Xbox players are in Afghanistan, camping out in the woods their whole life, or live in a garage with no wifi.

I was referring to the terrorists in the caves.

Oh, lol.

Every pole in the UK is owned/maintained by one company. They are not urgent to repair because land line calls can be diverted to mobiles :/

If I understand correctly, unlike with the 360 once I install a game on the Xbox 1 I don't need the disk to play it, right? If that's the case, I can almost understand the check-in every 24 hours while playing without the disk, however, if I put the disk in I should be able to play however long I want while offline. Should be a simple thing to implement. I'm not that worried myself as I have a consistent connection, but I can understand it might be a problem for some.

I have a consistent connection too, right now, but sometimes work requires me to travel, sometimes I have internet, sometimes I don't.

And like I said, if it is the case for only installed games without a disc in the drive, I can understand that requirement, but if the disc

is there, offline or on, it shouldn't matter, we've proved we own the game and still possess it.

Unrelated PS: Don't get me started on the lending/trading and selling system, people are acting like it's a good thing that they've added so many restrictions, I've yet to see

why I should purchase this console and only reasons why I shouldn't purchase it.

Every pole in the UK is owned/maintained by one company. They are not urgent to repair because land line calls can be diverted to mobiles :/

Sorry to hear about your poles. I would share my Internet with you if I could. It's not very fast, but it's extremely reliable!

Maybe you can use your mobile to tether for Internet?