Nokia told to adopt Android before it

I like that Nokia is all WP. It's more exclusive.

Nokia is WP. It's different than everything else, unique, and you know you're getting a quality device for your money.

If there were Lumia Droids it just wouldn't be as "cool". 

• Like 2

It would ruin their strategic partnership with Microsoft for one. Two, Nokia would OWE money to Microsoft for each device sold. Thirdly, it would put them up against Samsung, who owns the market, drawing out more money with little to no return. Last, there would be absolutely no branding to it whatsoever, reducing consumer interest.

There's nothing to be gained with Android. The Android market is done and over with. Nokia would be fighting a war on two fronts with the resources to only fight one. Do you take the battlefield dominated by other players, or do you take the empty path, and make an new image for yourself?

1.5 million daily activations is "done and over with" now? Really? Also either way Nokia still pays MS something. Whether its for Windows Phone licenses or patent licenses.

Nokia needs to do something soon, everyone I know with a 920 is already making plans on replacing it mainly with an Android phone and a few are going iOS, and these are fairly new phones and the performance is crap and they don't seem to last long at all before they stop working

Android isnt some golden goose that is the answer.  ffs go ask HTC how thats working out for them.

Analysts who make poorly researched, no poorly thought out statements like this should just have the ban hammer dropped on them, the industry and the tech news world would be a lot better off.

Yeah, because HTC is on top of the world.

Oh wait..

I seriously need to become an analyst. Getting paid for talking out of your arse must be fun and relaxing :/

Android isnt some golden goose that is the answer.  ffs go ask HTC how thats working out for them.

Analysts who make poorly researched, no poorly thought out statements like this should just have the ban hammer dropped on them, the industry and the tech news world would be a lot better off.

Are you kidding? Do you remember when HTC was dominating the Android market share before Samsung stole it with the Galaxy S lineup, because clearly you don't... Do you remember the iconic HTC Dream (the first Android phone), then Nexus One, then phones like EVO 4G, Incredible, etc. Samsung gained popularity with the Galaxy S and the thing that made them popular was really availability on all carriers. HTC early on made a mistake of releasing too many carrier exclusive phones (Droid Incredible, EVO 4G, etc.). At the beginning, the major Android market players were Motorola (Droid lineup), and HTC.

It would ruin their strategic partnership with Microsoft for one. Two, Nokia would OWE money to Microsoft for each device sold. Thirdly, it would put them up against Samsung, who owns the market, drawing out more money with little to no return. Last, there would be absolutely no branding to it whatsoever, reducing consumer interest.

There's nothing to be gained with Android. The Android market is done and over with. Nokia would be fighting a war on two fronts with the resources to only fight one. Do you take the battlefield dominated by other players, or do you take the empty path, and make an new image for yourself?

Aside from "ruining" their strategic partnership, you have to remember HTC, Samsung, Huwaei (LG at one point) all make Android and WP handsets. Nokia doesn't have to resort to just one mobile OS - they could easily partner with Google. If anything Nokia has brand recognition going for them, and could easily be in the top Android marketshare, if they created a well executed device. 

Yeah, because HTC is on top of the world.

Oh wait..

I seriously need to become an analyst. Getting paid for talking out of your arse must be fun and relaxing :/

Believe it or not, these analysts know more than you.

I agree with the analyst, Nokia should save themselves by going to Android and just have WP as a sideline

Are you kidding? Do you remember when HTC was dominating the Android market share before Samsung stole it with the Galaxy S lineup, because clearly you don't... Do you remember the iconic HTC Dream (the first Android phone), then Nexus One, then phones like EVO 4G, Incredible, etc. Samsung gained popularity with the Galaxy S and the thing that made them popular was really availability on all carriers. HTC early on made a mistake of releasing too many carrier exclusive phones (Droid Incredible, EVO 4G, etc.). At the beginning, the major Android market players were Motorola (Droid lineup), and HTC.

And?  I remember when HTC was the number 1 smart phone manufactuer with Windows Mobile.  The past proves about as much as the future as listening to analysts.

These analysts have about the same foresight as the average consumer, they do not take the long game into account, big corporations like Nokia and Ms and the like do not commit to grand strategies on a whim or for the short-term.  This guy probably woulda told MS to get out of the game business with the launch of the Xbox or said they were doomed with Windows Vista etc.

I needed a good laugh. Nokia are doing just fine with Windows Phone, in fact doing more than fine! sure their finances are still looking pretty bleak but they are slowly but surely digging themselves out of that hole. Switching to Android would be the death of them.

Since when have Microsoft backed up anyone? The moment Nokia start going under Microsoft won't hesitate to cut them off like a diseased limb.

Well there is the fact MS gave Nokia a fat wad of money to come over to Windows Phone plus the fact Nokia gets special treatment (i.e. more access to Windows Phone than any other OEM). MS needs Nokia, MS will do anything to make sure they stay.

The fact that the Android market is still growing at 100+ million devices a year and that Microsoft are struggling to ship 10 million handsets per year I'd say you're more than a little off the mark there, it seems consumers don't consider Android "done" at all. Given that Nokia are still rated for the good cameras on their phones I believe if they produced Android phones they would sell.

There's nothing to be gained with Android. The Android market is done and over with.

Wow, you dont have a clue. If this doesnt prove that you are locked in to your own MS world, then I dont know what would. There is lots to gain from Android and Android is far from done. Just because you cannot see it and have nothing to say but bashing the competition and praising MS, doesnt make it so.

• Like 4

Wow, you dont have a clue. If this doesnt prove that you are locked in to your own MS world, then I dont know what would. There is lots to gain from Android and Android is far from done. Just because you cannot see it and have nothing to say but bashing the competition and praising MS, doesnt make it so.

There's also a lot to lose.  Nokia are currently benefiting from a close working relationship with Microsoft and an OS that runs fully optimised on a standard set of hardware.  This frees up time to work on developing software and services, updates and partnerships with other SVCs that benefit their customers on the one hand and innovative hardware design on the other.  Their marketing efforts have also been supported by Microsoft.

It's not clear that any of this would be possible if they became just another Android vendor struggling to develop skins and optimisations to get Android working without its infamous lagginess.  They would also struggle to target the low end of the market as effectively as they have been with software that runs efficiently on cheap hardware.  Android has proven that it isn't capable of doing this in a way that earns customer respect or loyalty.

I'm surprised that you''d accuse others of not having a clue and then fail to back up your own claims in any meaningful way.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that you''d accuse others of not having a clue and then fail to back up your own claims in any meaningful way.

I am not one sided and blinded, like lots here, towards a certain platform and tossing out completely false information just to bash something. WP has lots of potential but so far, it is not doing so well. And Nokia makes great hardware. There is something a miss tho and I am not sure what it is.

And why would Nokia have to make their own skin if the off chance they happen to make an android device?

I have expressed the reason why and posted why I am not looking at WP as a choice now. However, I continue to read and look at the device like I do most other things and not completely discount it.

And why do I have to backup my claim when it is an obvious false statement. Android is continue to do well and other companies are profiting from Android. Samsung currently is the leader in this area but their S4 sales were not as great as they expected. I believe they even had to cut their production. However, if Samsung starts to lag behind, just makes room for someone else to come a long. HTC used to be the leader before Samsung and they still have potential...if they get their at together.

• Like 1

My last Nokia was the N73 and I loved it.  I moved to the HTC Desire and then the HTC One X because I liked the phone and OS but I must admit I would have stuck with Nokia if they had gone down the Android route.

My dad currently has the Lumia 920 and as nice as it is, the OS lets it down, he cant even change his sms notification sounds to something he wants unless MS have included it.  Android allows you to do what you want, Nokia needs to keep a Windows OS but also open themselves up to the huge market that is Android users.

Am I the only one who wants a phone ecosystem with more than 1 major choice for OS? If this trend continues Android will be all there is, with Apple in a small niche. Its the Windows/Mac battle all over again!

• Like 2

Since when have Microsoft backed up anyone? The moment Nokia start going under Microsoft won't hesitate to cut them off like a diseased limb.

Wrong.

If Microsoft "cut them off", then they cut off Windows Phone too. At this stage, without Nokia, Windows Phone would be doomed.  Microsoft will support them to the end.

Am I the only one who wants a phone ecosystem with more than 1 major choice for OS? If this trend continues Android will be all there is, with Apple in a small niche. Its the Windows/Mac battle all over again!

Without competition then there would be no innovation.  Android is winning for me right now but I would happily switch if a competitor offered more.  As customers its our duty to make sure we never settle!

I'm not locked in my world. I'm just able to realize that Nokia adopting Android would be a death knell. They would loose the support of Microsoft, loose their branding, loose their special access to Windows Phone, and everything they've worked for these past few years.

The Android market is a cesspool of cheap junk that I'm surprised anyone still buys into it. It isn't long before it'll reach a critical mass and fall into itself. There's a lot wrong with Android that Nokia doesn't have the resources to support.

I'm not locked in my world. I'm just able to realize that Nokia adopting Android would be a death knell. They would loose the support of Microsoft, loose their branding, loose their special access to Windows Phone, and everything they've worked for these past few years.

The Android market is a cesspool of cheap junk that I'm surprised anyone still buys into it. It isn't long before it'll reach a critical mass and fall into itself. There's a lot wrong with Android that Nokia doesn't have the resources to support.

Take away all that junk and you still have a platform growing more rapidly than WP. Like I said before, WP has potential but it is not there yet. And all the OEMs profiting from Android do not make junk, they are actually good/solid high end devices.

Nokia is done. Windows Phone is dead in the water and will never reach any relevant marketshare.. 

Next couple of years you'll see Nokia in bankruptcy waters. 

I think anyone who can do math and read can see it by now.