AOL Sues M$ Over Browser!

Originally posted by Toxikk

Mozilla is an AOL product. You got a good popup blocker that works for this hareball?

um...Mozilla HAS an option built-in to the prefs to disable pop-ups...

Why is everyone mad at MS being superior? Just because they aren't as good and are losing customers doesn't mean they have to get jealous and go to court. People have choices. If they choose IE, or just choose not to get netscape, that's up to them.

Personally, I find that the netscape 4.x series is a pretty darn stable and usable browser. I use it in conjunction with ie on my comp. Their 6.x series is buggy as hell, as well as slow and bloated.

I'm not a bid AOL fan but they r the leading competition to msn's ie. And even if ie supports more plugins, etc and is a faster browser (due to the fact that it's built into the entire windows os), netscape brings competition, which, as far as i'm concerned is good for the consumer.

Personally i'd like to see AOL win this just because i'm tired os MS getting out of all their lawsuits. I'd like to see them actually lose one and have to give out a load of cash for it just once. Their an overconfident arrogent company as far as i'm concerned.

I love a lot of MS's products, i just think we need a competing company to win one against them once.

I never take anyone seriously who says "MicroShaft" "M$" ...

They all complain about what Windows doesn't do. then MS adds the funcionality and they complain that it kills competition.

It's all a big money grab and "savvy" users get caught up in the "Greedy big corporations" hype.

i say F*ck Aohell and Netcrap. They both know they suck, and cant get money without leaching off other companies, saying that "OoOo we suck because of them, now give me money" it doesnt work. So if im good a playing football, and someone else comes up and is better than me at football because they train for it and i dont, i can sue them because they used "anti-competitive" means to be better than me? Its pretty stupid if you ask me. :evil:

Originally posted by Vinh

Microsoft for the people! :)

You must have no understanding of the idea of capitalism to truely believe that MS actually cares for "the people". It's sole aim is making a profit. Sure, it might apear to care about "the people" but that's only to gain their trust and to sell their products to them. That's how the capitalist mood of production with corporations works.

@ flyers1033: I don't know if your post was directed at me but if it was i'd like to defend myself.

I in no way ment to complain about the features implimented into windows XP. I use XP now for it's skinning capabilities and that's it. I really don't care about media player, the video editor, remote assistance, etc. That doesn't mean i have a problem with them either. They are great products that many people enjoy. All I mean when i talk about competition is that if microsoft was the ONLY computer software company in the world everyone would be using MS, and only MS, products. This would give MS compleate control of the market. They could raise prices if they wanted on anything since no other form of that product existed. Competition creates better products as company's must compete....obviously MS is constantly improving it's software....take IE for example. Sure, i still use netscape 4.x from time to time but that doesn't mean i think it's a better product then IE. When netscape was better then IE....yes, there was a time......MS had to continue to improve it's product to surpass netscape. Competition also adjusts prices. If there are 20 variations on windows media player that all have similar capabilities and one is $50 to purchase the full version of and another is $20 to get the full version of it consumers will likely get the $20 item and the $50 item will have to therefore reduce it's price to compete with the competition.

Now, when it comes to MS being sued....I see MS as the leading company for OS's and Internet browsers and quickly catching up in other areas with such software as msn messenger, msn explorer, windows media player, etc. What I don't want to see is MS wipe all of the compeating companies in these areas. If MS isn't already in a place of a monopoly, then it's pretty close. I just think that companies such as AOL....which i'm not a huge fan of by the way, need to survive. If AOL wins this case i'm not concerned about their position but the precedent that it would create.

Whew......well, that's it from me

I'd Must admit good point. :)

Cant confirm this but wasnt AOL trying to buy icq and make us pay to use it?

Just AOL for thinking like that, They deserve to get flushed out from the market.

@ Vinh:

Ya, i think they did try to do that with icq....they don't own icq yet though do they?

My mistake....they do own icq.

I believe they own winamp now too....which would lead to the fact that at least MS creates its own products instead of buying every aspect like AOL (netscape, winamp.....) :D

Originally posted by Mudpie

"WASHINGTON (AP) - AOL Time Warner sued Microsoft in federal court Tuesday over AOL's Netscape Internet browser, which ruled computer desktops until Microsoft began giving its competing browser away.

I think this is a little pointless considering that the Netscape browser is FREE.

Many of Microsoft's business practices, including ones in which the company encouraged computer manufacturers and Internet providers to distribute its Web browser instead of Netscape, were found to be anticompetitive by a federal appeals court last year. AOL, which now owns Netscape, wants Microsoft to cease its contested business practices and pay damages.

What's wrong with wanting your software to be every where? Those damned AOL cds stagnate every place known. They make good coasters though.

AOL filed the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. Under federal law, AOL would be entitled to triple any actual damages found by the court."

If they would put as much time and effort into improving their products instead of blowing the ca$h on court battles they'd have some kick a$$ stuff. Besides, I'm really tired of hearing about how some company isn't making as much money as M$ is. Get over it...Get on with it...Or get out of business.

** If anyone can take on MS, it's gotta be AOL ** :cool:

I think Steve Case should be investigated.

Originally posted by Mudpie

hehehe - maybe my position seems a bit misleading ... I don't support AOL or use their service (besides IM), I'm just looking at it from a legal point of view. Since MS was found guilty but basically were let go, I'm not too sure the States' suit(s) will get too far. What this does is let AOL use the DOJ ruling as ammo to possibly gain damages and gives the States' suit(s) some more ammo and a more realistic chance of coming to light. Basically I want to see M$ lose in court. No one's been able to reeeaaally punish them pal , and if it's going to be someone to beat em in court, why not AOL? Wouldn't you want a Windows product that allowed you to choose your browser instead of being forced? Some care, some don't. I think AOL might have a chance to recoup some losses (not that I think they need any more money)...if they have the $$$ and the will to take on MS - more power to 'em....

That's all I was sayin pal!

- JJ

But your position has a few holes as does AOL. The agreement to use IE as AOL's browser ended two years ago. AOL still uses IE, it might be hard then to convince a jury that IE rulez because of what MS did if AOL prefers IE for their customers.

In addition what did Netscape lose? They must show how much money they lost. Since they never really sold any product and then decided to give it away what did they lose? What they had was a faulty business plan that depended on people paying 40 bucks for a browser to view the web. That plan would have never worked MS or no MS.

I fully expected this thread to go the other way. I guess a bit of my faith in humanity is restored:old:

The funny thing is that in the 1st case, they defined the market to suit their needs. They basically said that MS had a Monopoly over PCs that can run Windows. Well, duh.

Here's a bit of fuel to this fire:

Bill Gates didn't give a dime to the DNC. In return, the Clinton Justice Department goes after them. Nobody says a word. Like I said before, It's all a big money grab. "Why should HE have millions and I don't????"