Programs (.exe) take a long time to start

Recently, Ive noticed once I click on the .exe to begin the install, there is a pause before it begins.

I have noticed this to be an issue for about the past week or so.  My PC is pretty decent, and for the most part everything is almost simultaneous.

My first thought was some sort of security feature is doing its thing, and then it releases the program and things begin normally.  However, I havent made any changes to my AV, nor have I installed anything new which might have an issue with a starting program.  I am anal about things running in the background, and system bloat, it is an old habit from back when you had to shut things down if you want to do something which required resources.  I cant seem to get rid of this habit even with 24GB of RAM and an SSD.  I use webroot's Secure Anywhere Antivirus 2014.  (I even always opt for the plain vanilla versions of software because I dont want all the extra crap that I think is unnecessary)  SA is extremely light on resources for those of you who aren't familiar with it.

My question is this:  If no changes have been made to system security (AV), and no additional software has been installed that might interact with the starting of a program, is there a likely culprit for this sort of issue ?

Basically, it can sometimes take up to 3-4 seconds before the program begins.

Some of you might think "well thats nothing to worry about, thats still fast" - it didnt used to take that long.  And like many people in here, I didnt spend a bunch of time and money on building a computer where I would have to wait for a simple, small program to start.

Thanks for your help - 

Sorry - 

Its Windows 7.

If there are any updates released from MS the last week - then maybe.

As for the firewall, I dont think so because these .exe are only run after they have been downloaded.

Did you try turning of Webroot temporarily and see if it still does it? It could be SmartScreen, too, as it checks an online database.

No I didnt, but I will.  I did a normal bonehead assumption with webroot.

1.) webroot works great

2.) havent made changes to webroot

3.) weroot is notorious for being anemic on resources

4.) ITS NOT webroot !

I am going to check it this evening.

:blush: