Cloud Storage for Photos - What do you use?

teknix360

Which cloud services do you use to store your photos?

I have around 50GB and increasing of photos now, and I am looking for the best place to store these photos in the cloud. Right now I am using a combination of Dropbox, Box.net, and Google Drive to store them all. It's a hassle to remember which photos are on which service. I am currently using the free level of all of those sites, which is why they are split up between the 3. :wacko:

I am looking to do this the right way now, and purchase cloud space to store my photos properly. My requirements are a service that has browser based access, folder sync across PCs, and an Android app. I am looking at purchasing additional GB from Google Drive or maybe SkyDrive. I like sorting my photos into folders, so Flickr doesn't work for me. I do have paid webhosting, but I've never been able to find a reliable, easy to use gallery web app. 

Anyway, I would like to hear what everyone else uses.  :yes:

nekkidtruth

I was using Dropbox (53GB) exclusively however, now I'm just allowing Android to upload photos to G+ (15GB) automatically because of some of the features (Free unlimited space if I knock down the resolution and photo editing/enhancing).

• Like 1
The Dark Knight

Low resolution (for viewing and sharing) - Google+

High resolution (for backup/archiving) - Amazon Glacier

Skiver

Mega is pretty decent, 50GB for free, I use that to backup my photo's taken from my phone.

I also use Flickr to an extent but that's only photograph's I think are worthy of showing to the world, although you can choose to disable public viewing and flickr gives you 1TB of storage.

zhangm

I just let Skydrive handle it. Works nicely, especially with the bonus storage space from Office 365.

Draconian Guppy

Man I wish I had a fast enough internet connection to upload my 50gb worth of photos to somewhere, anywhere!

Aergan

SkyDrive

Shadrack

Mega is pretty decent, 50GB for free, I use that to backup my photo's taken from my phone.

I also use Flickr to an extent but that's only photograph's I think are worthy of showing to the world, although you can choose to disable public viewing and flickr gives you 1TB of storage.

I'm using Flickr at the moment.  All my photo uploads are automatically set to Private.

It works pretty well for what it is, but I do have a few complains (for what it is worth):

* Downloading "actual size" pictures off the web interface takes an insane amount of clicks and isn't supported currently in the new "beta" version.

* No way to select multiple photos for download

* No way to link a photo directly (like if I wanted to include a picture in this message right here, I'd have to use a service like Imgur)

* The website and the mobile app default to a very inactive "news feed" because Yahoo wants very desperately for Flickr to compete with social sites like Instagram.  Vast majority of users are using it for the 1TB cloud storage.  Just annoying to have to switch to my photostream every time I open the app.

If Yahoo can fix those things, then I think Flickr would be ideal.

I'd prefer something more like Dropbox I think now...just I don't want to pay for the solution.  I have about 25GB worth of photos.

• Like 1
Ambroos

Nowhere, I have a RAID setup at home (two mirrored disks) and a monthly backup of that RAID that is usually over at my grandparent's on an encrypted external HDD.

I've got about 400GB of photos, most in RAW. It'd take me three months with my data limit to get them uploaded anywhere...

Rudie32

I  use google plus now that it uploads my pictures at full resolution. I really like the auto upload feature so i never lose a picture. Rather helpful.

winrez

all photos I take are automatically uploaded to skydrive

McKay

I got the 50GB free Dropbox storage when I got my Galaxy S4. Sadly it didn't go to 100GB when my Note 3 came with 50GB free advertised. They auto upload there.

TAZMINATOR

Man I wish I had a fast enough internet connection to upload my 50gb worth of photos to somewhere, anywhere!

You can use media server and you save your photos/videos on it and share them across the network with the rest of computers/devices...

Marshall

After doing the things outlined in the image below, I now have 100 GB of storage for free.

uL1c6fz.png

Growled

I use G+ and Google Drive.

Damo R.

After doing the things outlined in the image below, I now have 100 GB of storage for free.

uL1c6fz.png

:| it says the most you can get is 16gb in referrals?

teknix360

:| it says the most you can get is 16gb in referrals?

Yeah I've done all those things too (only 1 friend referral), but I only have 8GB. :\

Marshall

I'm not sure why I have that much, but all I did was complete the list. I've never paid a dime.

RayBRpM.png

Edit: I think I only referred one person as well.

teknix360

I'm not sure why I have that much, but all I did was complete the list. I've never paid a dime.

Edit: I think I only referred one person as well.

Wow, that's crazy! You must have joined at a special time or something. When I signed up I only got 2GB free and have earned only 5GB extra. I am super jealous.  :cry:

post-425425-0-13138700-1386732333.png

Marshall

Apparently I received the bulk of my storage space from a Samsung promotion. All I did was link my account onto my Samsung Galaxy tablet. It was only one tablet, which is weird that it's showing 2 instances. :/

TyNT9WS.png

Edit: The sad part is I only have 272 MB used and will probably never use the rest. :)

Dane

I use box.  50 Gig,  I'll probably use Skydrive.  But awhile Skydrive said they deleted and closed accounts if the pictures  violated their TOS.  So questionable stuff will goto Skydrive, and everything else box.

When I get a surface 2 I'll take it to work, load the pictures and upload it,  30+ Upload speed.  Shouldn't be too long.

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

There's also copy.com. It operates like dropbox and also does delta syncing like it. It has 5GB per referral. I think it 15GB starting out and 20GB if you start out having been referred by someone (If anyone wanted a referral link, I'd send it over PM).

I"m still not sold on it, but I keep my options for cloud storage open and it seems to have the best potential for space in terms of the unlimited 5GB per referral thing. 

Client wise, I like dropbox the best though. So, I actually keep my pictures in dropbox (with AES encryption to the cloud).

Skiver

I'm using Flickr at the moment.  All my photo uploads are automatically set to Private.

It works pretty well for what it is, but I do have a few complains (for what it is worth):

* Downloading "actual size" pictures off the web interface takes an insane amount of clicks and isn't supported currently in the new "beta" version.

* No way to select multiple photos for download

* No way to link a photo directly (like if I wanted to include a picture in this message right here, I'd have to use a service like Imgur)

* The website and the mobile app default to a very inactive "news feed" because Yahoo wants very desperately for Flickr to compete with social sites like Instagram.  Vast majority of users are using it for the 1TB cloud storage.  Just annoying to have to switch to my photostream every time I open the app.

If Yahoo can fix those things, then I think Flickr would be ideal.

I'd prefer something more like Dropbox I think now...just I don't want to pay for the solution.  I have about 25GB worth of photos.

Yeah I agree, Flickr is more of a host and keep then access and download type thing and isn't really in the same place as Dropbox.

One thing I can suggest for the linking issue is this; http://flickr.argote.mx/. One of the users here wrote it and is quite handy for getting links.

If it is only 25GB then I would recommend Mega, they don't have a desktop sync app but there is a smartphone app that you can use to browse the content and its free for 50GB storage.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Degoo Premium: Lifetime 15TB Mega Backup Plan now 96% off
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 96% off a Degoo Premium: Lifetime 10TB Backup Plan. Stay secure with backup from Degoo and never worry about losing your files. Ever.

Everyday computer users are juggling huge amounts of data, so it makes sense that you're taking care of that data responsibly. Degoo is AI-based cloud storage that helps you rediscover your best photos. With Degoo you get 15TB of supremely secured backup space from which to manage and share files with awesome simplicity. With high-speed transfers from a database that offers more backup space than Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive combined, you'll love how easy it is to keep tabs on all of your valuable data. Store, re-experience and share your best moments with premium cloud storage for your mobile phone, tablet, and web browser.

Send files easily to friends via email or link Backup up to 15TB of data under ultra-secure 256-bit AES encryption Replicate your backup as you perform it, giving you extra peace of mind Perform backups to all of your devices Get more backup space than Dropbox, OneDrive, & Google Drive combined Keep your backup automatically up to date thanks to automatic file change detection Good to know
      Length of access: lifetime Instant digital redemption Redemption: must redeem within 30 days of purchase For specifications, and license info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      The Degoo Premium: Lifetime 15TB Backup Plan normally costs $4,320, but it can be yours for just $149.99 for a limited time, a saving of $4,170.01 (96% off).

There are also even larger 25, 35 and 50TB plans to choose from at the link below.

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Apps + Software on offer. This is a time-limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $0.99 per month NordVPN - 2-year plan 68% off +3 months for free (total of 27 months) Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Get the Complete Microsoft Azure eBook & Video Course Bundle for just $29.99
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 95% off this Complete Microsoft Azure eBook & Video Course Bundle. Lead your business towards success with 15+ hours of video content and six eBooks on Azure cloud solutions, integration, networks, and more.

This bundle consists of the following courses:

Implementing Azure Solutions [eBook]
      Deploy & Manage Azure Containers and Build Azure Solutions with Ease Serverless Integration Design Patterns with Azure [eBook]
      Build Powerful Cloud Solutions That Sustain Next-Generation Products Azure Networking Cookbook [eBook]
      Distribute Network Traffic, Optimize Application Delivery & Defend Network-Level Threats Azure PowerShell Quick Start Guide [eBook]
      Leverage PowerShell to Perform Many Day-to-Day Tasks in Microsoft Azure Migrating Applications to the Cloud with Azure [eBook]
      Modernize Your Apps with Microsoft Azure by Moving Web, Desktop, & Mobile Apps to the Cloud Mastering Identity & Access Management with Microsoft Azure [eBook]
      Empower Users by Managing & Protecting Identities and Data DevOps with Azure [Video]
      Plan, Manage & Monitor Your Applications with Azure Modernize Node.js Web Apps with Azure App Service [Video]
      Refactor Nodes.js Web Apps & Deploy, Scale, and Monitor Them on Azure App Store Azure Platform as a Service, Web & API Application Deployment [Video]
      Build, Manage & Deploy Your Own PaaS Cloud with Help of Azure Services Azure Cognitive Services for Developers [Video]
      Make Your Applications Smarter, The Easy Way with Azure Cognitive Services Good to know
      Updates included Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For terms, certification and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Complete Microsoft Azure eBook & Video Course Bundle normally costs $703 but it can be yours for only $29.99, that's a saving of $673.01 (95%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 77% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      A Brief Guide to a Secure Multicloud Environment - Free Guide
      by Steven Parker

Claim this complimentary guide for free today, before the offer expires.

What's it about?
      As more organizations are shifting infrastructure and services to the cloud, more are adopting a multicloud strategy.

But for all the benefits of a multicloud strategy, there are some challenges that come with it as well. Specifically it can be difficult to secure a multicloud strategy because of a lack of visibility across hosts and services. That makes it easier for hackers to find exploitable vulnerabilities within an organization’s infrastructure and it also makes it more difficult to meet compliance mandates.

Download this free guide to learn:

What multicloud is, isn’t and the benefits of embracing one The six challenges of securing multicloud environments How to secure your multi-cloud environment with the right security solution How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> A Brief Guide to a Secure Multicloud Environment - Free Guide <<
      Offered by Splunk, view other free resources | Limited time offer

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By News Staff
      The Unexpected Challenges of Cloud Transformation - Free White Paper
      by Steven Parker

Claim this complimentary White Paper for free today, before the offer expires.

Download the free White Paper today!What's it about?
      Cloud transformation is business transformation, and getting it right is more important than ever. However, organizations of all sizes and industries face unique challenges when undertaking cloud transformation projects, as well as when managing and securing their more complex multicloud and hybrid architectures.

Download The Unexpected Challenges of Cloud Transformation from Nucleus Research and Splunk and discover how your organization can scale in the cloud and overcome obstacles to:

Manage potential added costs and complexity that accompany a hybrid environment Manage more accelerated development timelines Ensure consistent customer experience and business performance with increased observability How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> The Unexpected Challenges of Cloud Transformation - Free White Paper <<
      Offered by Splunk, view other free resources | Limited time offer

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By Ather Fawaz
      AWS Nitro Enclaves, a service for processing sensitive data, hits general availability
      by Ather Fawaz

Image via Wall Street Journal Amazon Web Services (AWS) today announced the general availability of AWS Nitro Enclaves, a specific subset of elastic compute cloud (EC2) instances that focus on processing sensitive data. With this release, AWS is targeting customers in industries like defense, entertainment, media, financial services, and sciences that use the computing power of AWS Cloud instances to process sensitive data.

Unlike traditional EC2 instances, Nitro Enclaves do not host persistent storage, nor do they support external networking or provide administrator or operator access. This enables Nitro Enclaves in reducing the attack surface for applications with an isolated environment that is tailored to data processing use cases.

In addition to this, it borrows the Nitro Hypervisor technology from traditional EC2 instances to provide CPU and memory isolation for the Enclaves. AWS also launched the AWS Certificate Manager (ACM) for Nitro Enclaves that protects and manages SSL and TLS certificates for their web servers hosted on EC2 instances.

Nitro Enclaves will support most of Intel and AMD-based EC2 instance types that are built on the AWS Nitro System. Support for AWS Graviton2-based instances is planned for some time in the first half of the next year. Nitro Enclaves will be available in most major AWS regions. Specific details on that can be found here. If you are interested in getting started with them, you may check out this web page.