Cloud Storage for Photos - What do you use?

Draconian Guppy

You can use media server and you save your photos/videos on it and share them across the network with the rest of computers/devices...

Yeah thats what I kinda do for the moment, save on to PC and external hard drive. For some reason that does not give me peace of mind though.

Shadrack

Yeah I agree, Flickr is more of a host and keep then access and download type thing and isn't really in the same place as Dropbox.

One thing I can suggest for the linking issue is this; http://flickr.argote.mx/. One of the users here wrote it and is quite handy for getting links.

If it is only 25GB then I would recommend Mega, they don't have a desktop sync app but there is a smartphone app that you can use to browse the content and its free for 50GB storage.

Thanks.  I think I'll give Mega a try.

• Like 1
Liana

I don't have any real need to keep photos in the cloud, but for the few files I do keep online, I use SpiderOak, since it's free and at least tries to be secure.

I don't need anyone analyzing my files for "unacceptable" content, thank you.

nekkidtruth

I don't have any real need to keep photos in the cloud, but for the few files I do keep online, I use SpiderOak, since it's free and at least tries to be secure.

I don't need anyone analyzing my files for "unacceptable" content, thank you.

I used to agree with this.  However, after having my phone stolen last year with photos of my dog in the last few weeks he was alive...let's just say I had to re-evaluate that line of thinking. ;)

This allows me to not have to worry about losing photos ever again.

Shadrack

Apparently I received the bulk of my storage space from a Samsung promotion. All I did was link my account onto my Samsung Galaxy tablet. It was only one tablet, which is weird that it's showing 2 instances. :/

TyNT9WS.png

Edit: The sad part is I only have 272 MB used and will probably never use the rest. :)

At least there is a reasonable explanation.  I was scratching my head when reading your initial posts.  I only have 13.5GB of free storage.  Wish they would drop their prices.  IMO, 100GB/year of cloud storage should only run about $40.

Damo R.

Apparently I received the bulk of my storage space from a Samsung promotion. All I did was link my account onto my Samsung Galaxy tablet. It was only one tablet, which is weird that it's showing 2 instances. :/

TyNT9WS.png

Edit: The sad part is I only have 272 MB used and will probably never use the rest. :)

Well that's insane :rofl: I got 25gb on Skydrive but that's it

TAZMINATOR

Well that's insane :rofl: I got 25gb on Skydrive but that's it

Yup insane, indeed.

AJerman

I don't use any service because my local files are already accessible from anywhere via VPN and I have plenty of local storage. No interest at all in using any third party service.

123456789A

I use Skydrive. It gives me 45gb of storage with Office 365 + the 25 gb they used to give.

tbarnett

I use Bit Torrent Sync and keep a copy on a relative's computer out of state.

• Like 1
teknix360

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! They were really helpful.  (Y)

I decided to go with purchasing an additional 50GB from Skydrive for $25. That seemed to be the cheapest option for the features I wanted. Upload/syncing speeds are not as good as I would like, but it gets the job done. Being able to access files from other PCs on the same network is pretty cool, too. 

I made a comparison chart of the services I was considering to help me decide, and I thought maybe it will be useful to someone else. So here it is: Cloud Storage Comparison for Photos.  :geek:  

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
Hlna

Hi,

I am using Rinocloud, it is quite scientific cloud, but really handy if you are looking for saving pictures for free. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Microsoft confirms Nuance acquisition for nearly $20 billion
      by João Carrasqueira

Over the weekend, reports emerged that Microsoft was considering an acquisition of Nuance Communications, a company focusing on cloud and AI products, specifically for healthcare. It hasn't taken long for an official confirmation, as Microsoft has now announced that that's acquiring the company in an all-cash transaction valued at $19.7 billion, including Nuance's net debt. That values each share at $56, a 23% increase over their closing price on Friday, April 9.

Nuance's products include Dragon Ambient eXperience, Dragon Medical One, and PowerScribe One, all of which are speech recognition services powered by Microsoft's Azure. In fact, the acquisition of Nuance follows a partnership between the two companies back in 2019, when the companies brought the Dragon Medical software and Microsoft's Azure solutions together to "transform the doctor-patient experience".

Nuance's healthcare-focused products are very widely used across the United States, with 55% of physicians and 75% of radiologists relying on them. But the company does more than healthcare, also offering solutions in the field of AI and customer engagement, such as helping with Apple's Siri virtual assistant.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella commented on the acquisition, saying:

The transaction has been approved unanimously by the Boards of Directors at both companies and is expected to close by the end of the 2021 calendar year, though the financial effects will mostly be felt in fiscal year 2023 for Microsoft. Mark Benjamin will continue to serve as CEO of Nuance and report to Microsoft's Scott Guthrie, vice president of the Cloud & AI group at the Redmond company.

• By News Staff
      Save 98% off this 2021 Complete CompTIA Certification Prep Super Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 98% off this 2021 Complete CompTIA Certification Prep Super Bundle. Ace the world's leading tech certification series with lifetime access to 14 expert-led courses and 300+ hours of high-quality instruction.

This bundle includes the following courses:

CompTIA IT Fundamentals+ (FC0-U61)
      Get to Grips with Hardware Basics, Troubleshooting, Software Installation, Security & Networking CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501)
      The Benchmark for Best IT Security Practices: This Course Covers Core Cybersecurity Knowledge & Skills in Pursuing an IT Security Career CompTIA A+ (220-1001 and 220-1002)
      Grasp Basic IT Literacy & Today's Core Technologies and Pass the Industry Standard for Entry-Level IT Career CompTIA CASP+ (CAS-003)
      Get Advanced Competency in Risk Management, Enterprise Security Operations & Architecture, Research & Collaboration, and Enterprise Security Integration CompTIA Network+ (N10-007)
      Further Your Career in Network Administration with 40+ Hours of Instruction on Troubleshooting, Configuring & Managing Networks CompTIA Network+ (N10-007): Accelerated
      Upgrade Your Network+ Series with the Latest Trends & Technologies in the Networking Domain Plus Critical IT Concepts CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501)
      The Benchmark for Best IT Security Practices: This Course Covers Core Cybersecurity Knowledge & Skills in Pursuing an IT Security Career CompTIA Linux+ (XK0-004)
      Acquire the Competencies Required for an Early Career on System Administrator with This Thorough Linux+ Exam Study Guide CompTIA PenTest+ (PT0-001)
      Combat Network Attacks with the Most Up-to-Date Penetration Testing & Vulnerability Assessment Management Skills CompTIA Project+ (PK0-004)
      Efficiently & Effectively Manage Small to Medium-Sized Projects with Essential Skills in Planning, Coordinating, and Managing Projects Inside or Outside of IT CompTIA Server+ (SK0-004)
      Prepare to Work Anywhere In the IT Industry with 28+ Hours of Instruction on the Changing Server Environment​​​​​​​ CompTIA Cloud+ (CV0-002)
      Become a Versatile System Administrator with High-Quality Skills in Maintaining & Optimizing Cloud Infrastructure Services​​​​​​​ CompTIA Security+ (SY0-601)
      Perform Core Security Functions & Pursue an IT Security Career
      By iCollege | in Online Courses CompTIA Accelerated A+ Core (220-1001)
      The Essentials of Mobile Devices, Networking & More CompTIA Accelerated A+ Core (220-1002)
      Get Savvy with the Essentials

CompTIA CySA+ (CS0-002)
      Explore the Best Practices & Practical Application of Computer-Security Related Concepts and Tools Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Updates included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Complete 2020 CompTIA Certification Training Bundle normally costs* $4,400, but you can pick it up for just $69 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $4,331 (98%) off!

Get this deal, or learn more about it
      See all discounted Online Courses on offer. This is a time-limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Giveaways: Home Arcade Polycade | Complete Home Gym | $10K in Crypto currency Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Get the Google Cloud Certifications Practice Tests + Courses Bundle for only $29.99
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store where you can save 95% off this Google Cloud Certifications Practice Tests + Courses Bundle. Hone your expertise on the Google Cloud platform with 43 hours of video content and 1,000+ practice questions for in-demand GCP certifications.

This bundle consists of the following courses:

Google Cloud Certified Professional Cloud Architect
      Demonstrate Your Knowledge of Designing, Developing, & Managing Secure, Robust, and Dynamic Solutions on GCP Google Cloud Certified Professional Cloud Security Engineer
      Validate Your Skills to Design & Implement a Secure Infrastructure on Google Cloud Platform Google Cloud Certified Professional Data Engineer
      Make Data-Driven Decisions by Collecting, Visualizing, & Transforming Data Google Cloud SQL Deep Dive
      Implement & Manage Network Architectures on Google Cloud Platform Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer
      Demonstrate Your Knowledge of Deploying Applications, Monitoring Operations, & Managing Enterprise Solutions on GCP Google Cloud Certified Professional Cloud Network Engineer
      Implement & Manage Network Architectures on Google Cloud Platform Google Cloud Certified Professional Cloud Developer
      Design, Build, Test, Deploy, Integrate & Manage Scalable Applications on GCP Good to know
      Certificate of completion included Length of time users can access after purchase: lifetime Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and instructor info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Google Cloud Certifications Practice Tests + Courses Bundle normally costs* $639 but it can be yours for just $29.99 for a limited time, that's a saving of $609.01 (95%) off the price.

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it here <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Home Gym Giveaway | Bitcoin (BTC) Investment Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By indospot
      Microsoft acquires The Marsden Group, an industrial technology company
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft shopping spree seems to be never-ending, and the company today announced that it's acquiring The Marsden Group, a company specializing in industrial technology solutions. Microsoft aims to provide more value to industrial customers with solutions based on Microsoft's cloud, edge, and AI products.

In its announcement, Microsoft describes The Marsden Group as a "leader in industrial technology innovation and rapid prototyping". The company provides an array of technology solutions for sectors like the automotive industry, industrial plants, equipment manufacturers, and remote and harsh environments like sea drilling operations. Prior to the acquisition, The Marsden Group was already a Gold Microsoft Partner and has had a presence at events like Microsoft Inspire.

Microsoft believes that the need for constant innovation in these industries is ever-growing as businesses realize they need to keep investing in new technologies in order to compete. By bringing in The Marsden Group, it will have a team used to helping businesses identify problems and solutions quickly, as well prototype and implement those solutions. The goal is to combine that expertise with its own solutions, delivering more value.

For general consumers, this isn't the most exciting of news, but it's another symbol of Microsoft's intention to keep investing in its business solutions based on edge and cloud computing. We're likely to see even more announcements related to these solutions in future business-oriented events like Inspire and Ignite.

• By zikalify
      Nokia partners with Microsoft to integrate Cloud RAN with Azure
      by Paul Hill

Nokia and Microsoft have formed a new partnership that will see Nokia integrate its Cloud RAN technology with Microsoft’s Azure to boost end-user functionality in business scenarios. The partnership is one part of Nokia’s strategy to partner with cloud providers to deliver for end-user businesses looking to monetise their 4G and 5G deployments.

Commenting on the partnership, Yousef Khalidi, Corporate Vice President, Azure for Operators at Microsoft said:

Under the agreement, Nokia will combine its mobile networks solutions such as Cloud RAN, Open RAN, Radio Intelligent Controller (RIC) and multi-access edge cloud (MEC) with the Azure Private Edge Zone which enables data processing near to the end-users which solves any latency issues. Additionally, Nokia’s 5G RAN will be integrated with Azure 4G/5G core and the two firms will investigate how the Nokia AirFrame Open Edge server can be deployed as part of a telco edge strategy.

Today’s announcement marks just the first steps of collaboration between the two companies; according to Nokia, they will also look into additional areas where they can work together including network slicing.