Duck Dynasty Star Banned Indefinitely for Anti-Gay Comments

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson has been taken off the A&E hit series "indefinitely," following anti-gay comments he made in a GQ interview published Wednesday.

?We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson?s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series 'Duck Dynasty,' a network statement issued late Wednesday said. "His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.?

A&E took action against Robertson after GLAAD condemned the "Duck Commander's" quotes.

"Everything is blurred in what's right and wrong," he complained. "Sin becomes fine." The Louisiana-based entrepreneur clarified: "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there ? bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men." 

The devout Christian then paraphrased a biblical passage: "Don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers ? they won't inherit the kingdom of God ... Don't deceive yourself. It's not right." 

In a statement, GLAAD said: ?Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil?s lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe. He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans ? and Americans ? who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil?s decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families.?

The show will continue filming without him. 

http://www.today.com/entertainment/duck-dynasty-patriarch-suspended-show-anti-gay-comments-2D11773442

A&E and GLAAD are violating the guy's first amendment right. GLAAD is also personally attacking him and his family by questioning his beliefs in an official statement. Sure, his views may not represent the entire network, but those who support promote those who are gay do not represent Phil Roberston.

Just shows, no actor is immune enough to say stuff like this and get away with it

regardless of what one's belief is, the studio played it safe

Sure, but if he said "I support gays" they wouldn't suspend his filming.

A&E and GLAAD are violating the guy's first amendment right. GLAAD is also personally attacking him and his family by questioning his beliefs in an official statement. Sure, his views may not represent the entire network, but those who support promote those who are gay do not represent Phil Roberston.

How are they violating his first amendment rights? 

Actually, my post was about small time actor arrogance, I've seen many acting like spoiled brats, whereas, the big names, the ones like the late Elizabeth Taylor, or Tom Cruise, (just to name 2) who have earned the right to act diva-esq show great humility and diplomacy when speaking to interviewers. You also must realise that the show is aired in other countries, UK had freedom of speech rights too, just hate speech, isn't

If he worked for a conservative broadcaster and he advocated gay marriage or something they might suspend him too.

If he worked for a conservative broadcaster and he advocated gay marriage or something they might suspend him too.

Which would also be a violation of his freedom of speech as well. Many have come out as gay, but are they fired/suspended from their career? Nope.

He is voicing his opinion on homo marriage.

Depends on the viewership. You don't want to alienate your base. Networks will always stay inline with their viewership (or rather whoever they think their viewership is -- since the two may not be the same).

How are they violating his first amendment rights? 

They aren't. The poster is misinterpreting first amendment rights to mean you can say whatever you want [anywhere] without any repercussions.

They have put his career on halt for talking in an interview, is that not discrimination against Christians?

It's a business decision.

Which would also be a violation of his freedom of speech as well. Many have come out as gay, but are they fired/suspended from their career? Nope.

Every.Single.Day.

• Like 2

I have no problem with free speech, unless it involves cutting other people down.

Oh, and I never "chose" to be hetero. We are who we are, so why all the hate? Is that what your god teaches you? Funny, here I thought gods loved everyone. Perhaps they do, but it seems their followers haven't gotten the memo.

I think this is a foolish knee-jerk reaction from A&E.  You would have to watch the show to understand.  This is a reality show that centers around Phil Robertson as the moral and religious patriarch of his large family; they end every program with him saying grace around the dining table.  He is a Christian ultra-conservative; that is basically the premise of the show.  And actually, many would argue that his back-to-fundamentals Christian conservativism is exactly what has made the show such a wild success - that is, the most successful reality show in history with a per episode audience of around 14 million.

This article is also a bit misleading.  It jams together quotes to make it appear that it was all said together in one cohesive anti-gay slander; it simply was not. I would advise anyone to go read the full GQ article to gain the actual context.  He provided his personal opinion and paraphrased a Bible verse to support his position.  He never asked anyone to agree with him, nor did he condemn or judge anyone who does not.

A&E shot themselves in the foot with this poorly thought out decision.  Duck Dynasty will begrudgingly ride out the rest of their contract before moving onto another network.  In the end, A&E will have lost the greatest, highest grossing reality show in the history of television.

Depends on the viewership. You don't want to alienate your base. Networks will always stay inline with their viewership (or rather whoever they think their viewership is -- since the two may not be the same).

They aren't. The poster is misinterpreting first amendment rights to mean you can say whatever you want without any repercussions.

the show centers around a bunch of rednecks with too much money and not enough brains and ends in a prayer at the dinner table; who do you think the viewership is? HINT: It's not the gays.

depends. Pat Robertson doesn't support homosexuality but is surprisingly compassionate towards transgendered people.

I probably wouldn't have fired him, but it's a private company and if they feel his comments hurt their busoiness they are free to fire him. It isn't an infringement on his speech. If he said something negative about A&E they could fire him for the same reason.

the show centers around a bunch of rednecks with too much money and not enough brains and ends in a prayer at the dinner table; who do you think the viewership is? HINT: It's not the gays.

It's probably people who find the whole thing humorous like that other A&E show with the little overweight girl who went to beauty pageants. I'd doubt it's majority conservative if that's what you are going for.

EDIT: correction, that other show was from TLC

You've been asked a couple of times now to explain how his freedom of speech is being violated.  You going to explain, or are you just flappin' ya lips?

• Like 3

A&E shot themselves in the foot with this poorly thought out decision.  Duck Dynasty will begrudgingly ride out the rest of their contract before moving onto another network.  In the end, A&E will have lost the greatest, highest grossing reality show in the history of television.

One less reality TV show filling the airwaves with crap and numbing people's brains?

Awesome.

They aren't violating his freedom of speech. He's free to continue to express his opinion.

You've been asked a couple of times now to explain how his freedom of speech is being violated.  You going to explain, or are you just flappin' ya lips?

This would not have been a violation of his freedom of speech if A&E did not suspend his filming and GLAAD did not issue the hate speech about him and his family. Remember in the US everyone is supposed to have the same rights.

One less reality TV show filling the airwaves with crap and numbing people's brains?

Not by a long shot.  This show is ridiculously popular in the States.  It will simply transition from A&E to another network.  Also, this show doesn't just numb the audience's brain - it is filled with all form of antics, but each show wraps up by analyzing or imparting views on moral, religious, and family issues.  The Christian conservative nature of the show is repeatedly touted as part of the draw by the devout viewership.

Not by a long shot.  This show is ridiculously popular in the States.  It will simply transition from A&E to another network.  Also, this show doesn't just numb the audience's brain - it is filled with all form of antics, but each show wraps up by analyzing or imparting views on moral, religious, and family issues.  The Christian conservative nature of the show is repeatedly touted as part of the draw by the devout viewership.

Exactly. I rest my case.  :p  There are few whose brains are more numb than the devout.

• Like 2