PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

I can't be doing with sub-60fps and I'd much rather turn down the detail slightly than put up with poor performance. 

Agreed. I can handle turning off an advanced setting that, if we are being candid, I probably won't notice the benefit of anyway.

Cranking everything up to "ultra/high" and suffering performance issues can make a game borderline unplayable. "Oh, look, it's pretty! A shame I can't actually play it."

• Like 2

Agreed. I can handle turning off an advanced setting that, if we are being candid, I probably won't notice the benefit of anyway.

Cranking everything up to "ultra/high" and suffering performance issues can make a game borderline unplayable. "Oh, look, it's pretty! A shame I can't actually play it."

Indeed, which is why it's concerning to see Microsoft putting pressure on developers to hit 1080p at the expense of the framerate. Framerate drops ruin immersion. There's no point having slightly better graphics if it comes at the expense of enjoyment.

There's no point having slightly better graphics if it comes at the expense of enjoyment.

Or basic functionality :laugh:.

I own consoles and accept their limitations. I still get enjoyment from my last gen systems. Hell, I still get enjoyment from the consoles of my childhood. I actively search op shops (thrift/charity stores for the American readers), garage sales and the like looking for old consoles and electronics.

I think too many marketing drones get a hold of certain ideas (1080p in this case) and think marketing a game on this idea alone is a good sales pitch.

And that's the thing, your own enjoyment doesn't mirror everyone else, you guys want to hit that 60fps goal regardless, I'm content with less depending on game type, for me the difference between a slow moving game like Assassins creed, or other 3rd person games that aren't crazy combo fests (and by that I mean something akin to bayonetta), at sub 60fps is still very enjoyable.   Lots of games on the PC don't give you that solid, locked 60fps, and if you're going to make a beast of a PC to go over that then I see little merit in it.    Games like Unity will play fine, to me, at 30, 40 or whatever I can get.      

I also like the double speak from some of you in this case, so it's fine to turn down some of the graphics detail and FX and so on as long as you can get 60fps, but now flip this on the console side of things and if they do that for one of the systems it's suddenly a issue.   It's all, oh look, they had to use lower quality textures or show less things on the screen just to hit 60fps or 1080p!  This version obviously sucks!  

No One Really Cares About 1080p, Says Far Cry 4 Dev
STEVEN BOGOS | 28 OCTOBER 2014 5:37 AM

838168.jpg

Far Cry 4 creative director Alex Hutchinson thinks its weird that people can enjoy a retro pixel game, yet complain about resolution in AAA titles.

All of those 1080p vs 720p debates we keep seeing this generation? Just people screaming into an echo chamber, claims Far Cry 4 creative director Alex Hutchinson. Hutchinson completely dismissed the entire resolution debate in an interview with Official Xbox Magazine, claiming that the reality is that people just don't really care if a game is 1080p or not.

"Five per cent of the audience is online commenting [about resolution], and 95 per cent are just buying them or not buying them," he said. "We create these weird echo chambers for those issues, and sometimes I wonder, I don't think this is real." When asked when he thought players would stop obsessing over graphically fidelity, Hutchinson added "I think they already have secretly."

He went on to say that "It feels weird to me that people are cool about playing a sort of retro pixel game, and yet the resolution [in AAA titles] somehow matters. It's like: is it fun, is it interesting, is it new, is it fresh, are there interesting questions?"
"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen. I don't know the exact numbers, but it starts to get a little crazy. I'm just in it for the experience, I'll play a SNES game if it's cool."

Hutchinson, while maybe having a valid point that the people complaining about resolution make up a minority of the gaming population, doesn't seem to quite understand how resolution works. For example, those retro indie games that he's talking about, while having quite low quality graphics, still indeed run at 1080p on most systems. Similarly, I'm no scientist, but I don't think that's how 4K TVs work...

Do you agree with Hutchinson? Are 1080p complainers just yelling into an echo chamber? Or is it a legitimate complaint they can have?

Source: The Escapist

Interesting that it was for an interview of Xbox Magazine...

That's ironic coming from Crytek.... So much for Crytek being a PC graphical powerhouse, these days what's resolution?

Anyway, it's always good when other people talk on your behalf.

Ubisoft just cannot get themselves away from this resolution/FPS mess. I don't know why they don't just shutup?

That's ironic coming from Crytek.... So much for Crytek being a PC graphical powerhouse, these days what's resolution?

Anyway, it's always good when other people talk on your behalf.

Ubisoft just cannot get themselves away from this resolution/FPS mess. I don't know why they don't just shutup?

The question is do they really feel that way or did they say it just because they were talking to Xbox Magazine?  Either way, it doesn't speak well for them.

The question is do they really feel that way or did they say it just because they were talking to Xbox Magazine?  Either way, it doesn't speak well for them.

I think that's how they feel, and other developers who have shown they'd rather drop fps or res and keep the game looking and playing the way they intended it to rather then sacrifice things on the other end to meet some standard that's not really one but something the vocal internet cares about more than anything else at times.

I don't think we're going to stop seeing games locked at 30fps, even next year or the year after, because as they do more on the other side of things, that impact framerate, they'll decide to sacrifice that and not hit 60 rather then have to cut other things out.

Why? What he said isn't wrong. It really is a small percentage of people making very loud noise. Always has been. The real question is whether or not they draw the line between framerate/resolution and other elements smartly.

Why? What he said isn't wrong. It really is a small percentage of people making very loud noise. Always has been. The real question is whether or not they draw the line between framerate/resolution and other elements smartly.

See, that's the thing.  I agree with it but I tend to come in these threads very cautiously because they have a tendency to spin out of control.  But I do find it interesting that something that could be interpreted as pro-Microsoft would be said specifically to Xbox Magazine.

Bloodbourne 30 FPS for "Game Design" purpose. I guess X1 is holding back PS4 again. :p

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/10/27/bloodborne-frame-rate-targeting-30fps-since-its-the-best-for-action-games-claims-producer/#/slide/1

Why couldn't they just admit that PS4 can't handle it?

Bloodbourne 30 FPS for "Game Design" purpose. I guess X1 is holding back PS4 again. :p

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/10/27/bloodborne-frame-rate-targeting-30fps-since-its-the-best-for-action-games-claims-producer/#/slide/1

Why couldn't they just admit that PS4 can't handle it?

Have you played a Souls game before? Ever been to blightown?

1080/30 is a godsend from From Software, even if that comment is silly.

See, that's the thing.  I agree with it but I tend to come in these threads very cautiously because they have a tendency to spin out of control.  But I do find it interesting that something that could be interpreted as pro-Microsoft would be said specifically to Xbox Magazine.

Well when the AC4 patch came out Ubisoft were all chuffed about going to 1080p, now it seems every AAA game under their umbrella is going to get someone issuing a "resolution doesn't matter" comment.

Have you played a Souls game before? Ever been to blightown?

1080/30 is a godsend from From Software, even if that comment is silly.

I think you make a fair point, but it will be criticized along with all of the other games that have not hit that 'perfect' mark. You have some people unwilling to see past that number, regardless of how good the game is.

Bloodbourne will be a good game based on its game play, story, etc, with resolution and frame rate being a distant feature.

I think you make a fair point, but it will be criticized along with all of the other games that have not hit that 'perfect' mark. You have some people unwilling to see past that number, regardless of how good the game is.

Bloodbourne will be a good game based on its game play, story, etc, with resolution and frame rate being a distant feature.

If From Software manage a solid 30 I really don't think any souls fans will be criticizing them after what we've put up with in Demons through to Dark Souls 2! Heck people are probably surprised they're even pushing 1080p.

Out of the two it's easier to push a higher res than a higher frame rate.    They probably just tweaked a few different graphics details here and there, draw distance and so on, and got it to 1080p. 

Exactly. Resolution clearly is a big issue or there wouldn't be any need to mention it. It's also interesting that the interview was done in the Xbox Magazine given the XB1's performance shortcomings and inability to hit 1080p in so many titles. Few dispute that gameplay comes first but resolution and framerate are obviously factors in the fidelity and enjoyment of a game.

It really is bizarre that developers seem so intent on stirring up the hornets' nest. They have nothing to gain from making such comments and an awful lot to lose.

Exactly. Resolution clearly is a big issue or there wouldn't be any need to mention it. It's also interesting that the interview was done in the Xbox Magazine given the XB1's performance shortcomings and inability to hit 1080p in so many titles. Few dispute that gameplay comes first but resolution and framerate are obviously factors in the fidelity and enjoyment of a game.

It really is bizarre that developers seem so intent on stirring up the hornets' nest. They have nothing to gain from making such comments and an awful lot to lose.

No they don't have much to lose, unless you think the group of people passionate about framerate/res is much larger than it really is.

No they don't have much to lose, unless you think the group of people passionate about framerate/res is much larger than it really is.

It's about the negative publicity created, something Ubisoft is all too aware of now.

It's about the negative publicity created, something Ubisoft is all too aware of now.

Which isn't affecting their bottom line so...status quo remains as it always has through these debates.

Out of the two it's easier to push a higher res than a higher frame rate.    They probably just tweaked a few different graphics details here and there, draw distance and so on, and got it to 1080p. 

Tell that to Ubisoft then!

Tell that to Ubisoft then!

Sure, I could, they know it, but the key here is do they want to reduce and cut something out to make you few happy that it's 1080p or do they just let the upscaler both systems have do it's job in this case?   If a developer doesn't want to sacrifice something in their game then they don't have to.

COD AA SP is 1080p on PS4, 360 MP beta is 900p

Could be SP is 1080p, MP is 900p, but seems unlikely.

yeah I doubt mp would be less than sp. I saw someone playing the 360 version today, sp and mp were both 720p 60fps. aliasing was pretty terrible,so the steps were clear as day to pixel count on the tv directly just by looking at it.

btw the xbox one build analyzed by df was a gamescom build from early august. we'll find out in a few days if no screenshots were to leak.

If From Software manage a solid 30 I really don't think any souls fans will be criticizing them after what we've put up with in Demons through to Dark Souls 2! Heck people are probably surprised they're even pushing 1080p.

I'm not talking about souls fans. I'm talking about the people that take threads like this one very seriously, the ones that have pretty much made it clear that they don't accept the notion that its ok to not hit 1080p or 60 fps.

Souls fans are exactly the ones that won't give it a second thought and just enjoy the game.