PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

Even with 1080p h264 videos the difference between highly compressed and not is big. Try a 1GB 1080p h264 video and then after a 10GB 1080p h264 video. The difference is really big. You don't even need to do a side by side to see the difference. And the 10gb 1080p h264 video is still far from uncompressed image quality.

Unless people upload uncompressed raw video taken directly from the video buffer on youtube you wont get anything close to what you can see on the monitor/tv.

Also yes PC monitors might have a 1080p resolution and better but the image quality for lot of them is far from a 1 grand HDTV. Extremely crappy 150$ ish TN panels are common. The image quality of those is awful at best. Of course if you are a PC gamer and have a good quality monitor it doesn't apply to you but lot of console gamers looking at those videos on youtube have crappy awful cheap quality TN panels.

TN panels are poor quality, yes. But as far as I know the primary reasons you buy IPS is for color reproduction (which won't matter unless you calibrate your display even on an IPS panel) and for better viewing angles. I may be wrong about this, but when it comes to videogames TN vs. IPS isn't much of a deal breaker. Resolution, Refresh Rate and Response Time are what matter.

Resolution, Refresh Rate and Response Time are what matter.

i used to think that response time mattered.   back in the day only TN panels had fast refresh rates.

now my IPS has a adequate response rate.   i am not a pro gamer, and i really cannot see the difference with 2ms vs 4 ms (even 6ms...)

getting used to IPS, I just cannot enjoy TN anymore.  I now notice and hate the color mismatch between the center of the screen and top and bottom.  

and better viewing angle on ISP is an added bonus.

i would never want to buy TN again.

i am not a pro gamer, and i really cannot see the difference with 2ms vs 4 ms

Its not that bad now, we're not in the crappy CRT / beginning of LCD displays anymore. So of course the difference is not noticeable.

TN panels are poor quality, yes. But as far as I know the primary reasons you buy IPS is for color reproduction (which won't matter unless you calibrate your display even on an IPS panel) and for better viewing angles. I may be wrong about this, but when it comes to videogames TN vs. IPS isn't much of a deal breaker. Resolution, Refresh Rate and Response Time are what matter.

You're right but the cheap panels are usually TN so that's why i said TN panels. I have a cheap IPS panel (the less expensive one i could buy) and honestly it's far better than the less expensive TN panels i tried and it's as good if not better than good TN panels.

But yeah unless you calibrate your IPS panel colors wont be perfect but the viewing angle is so much better and overall the image quality is really good for the price i don't regret buying it. At least whites are whites out of the box. With all TN panels i owned the whites were either blueies and redish without proper calibration. My HDTV is still far better though and that's why i play games like Alien Isolation or Alan Wake on my HDTV with a 360 controller. Don't need a side by side to see my HDTV image quality is better.

i used to think that response time mattered.   back in the day only TN panels had fast refresh rates.

now my IPS has a adequate response rate.   i am not a pro gamer, and i really cannot see the difference with 2ms vs 4 ms (even 6ms...)

getting used to IPS, I just cannot enjoy TN anymore.  I now notice and hate the color mismatch between the center of the screen and top and bottom.  

and better viewing angle on ISP is an added bonus.

i would never want to buy TN again.

The thing that needs to be noted is (i might be wrong) as far as i know pretty much every monitor are close to 5ms. The famous 2ms and 1ms is gray to gray i.e. a best case scenario. There's some technic used to do that. You can turn it off in the option of most monitor i think. My old Samsung T220 panel was a 2ms gray to gray and i could turn it off in the option to make it a 5ms (the real value of the panel without any technic to fake 2ms). When it was turned on in some games it created some color banding i don't now why notably in Oblivion during night time the sky was awful with the 2ms gray to gray turned on.

It's amusing that the technical mess that is AC Unity is going to now be heralded as some sort of technical proof on the XB1 vs the PS4 hardware debate  :laugh:

I haven't seen that happen, unless you are trying to start that train of thought. Jumping the gun again.

How about the simple idea they spewed a lot of BS about making this game over 4 years, and couldn't make something technically astute in the one year timeframe since AC4? 

No, that's ludicrous, DF's review proves otherwise! So what about the other "20" DF articles posted in here? Using a game that can't even run at 30FPS at 900p with lots of pop-in and glitches is hardly convincing anyone of anything.

DF's review claims that Unity is more demanding than Black Flag. Are you saying they are wrong in that case?

I haven't seen that happen, unless you are trying to start that train of thought. Jumping the gun again.

Baji posted a single screenshot of AC Unity where the character on screen was running on the PS4 and it was side by side to the Xbox screen where the character was standing still and he used that as "some sort of technical proof" between the PS4 and Xbox One. So Audioboxer didn't jump the gun, that train of thought was already in motion before audioboxer posted.

Taking a single screen shot of a comparison video at a specific section of the game where the characters aren't doing the same thing isn't really proof of anything but it does make it seem like people are really grasping at straws with this. It's been over a year and the PS4 has constantly outperformed the Xbox One if its not the same for a single game then I would think that game would need to iron out some bugs before a true comparison is made.

Baji posted a single screenshot of AC Unity where the character on screen was running on the PS4 and it was side by side to the Xbox screen where the character was standing still and he used that as "some sort of technical proof" between the PS4 and Xbox One. So Audioboxer didn't jump the gun, that train of thought was already in motion before audioboxer posted.

Taking a single screen shot of a comparison video at a specific section of the game where the characters aren't doing the same thing isn't really proof of anything but it does make it seem like people are really grasping at straws with this. It's been over a year and the PS4 has constantly outperformed the Xbox One if its not the same for a single game then I would think that game would need to iron out some bugs before a true comparison is made.

:laugh: The irony of your post is astonishing.

But was he posting that screenshot to try and prove that the X1 is as powerful as the ps4? Or was he comparing how a game looks on two platforms? It seems a little unfair to claim that posting screenshots comparing platforms is now off limits. I remember Metal Gear Solid getting that treatment around here and there wasn't any issue there.

Seems like a stretch to me. But then again, I'm not as sensitive to intentions of forum posters. I did see him make a joke about MS paying for parity and the power of the cloud, but I didn't see where he said this was some kind of proof about hardware.

Still, none of this changes the fact that the ps4 has a stronger gpu. However, don't be so shocked when games come out equal on both or even a rare case of the roles being reversed. Sometimes its poor optimization, sometimes its due to a game play choice (solid frame rate vs resolution) or simply a developer being more comfortable on certain hardware. This happened last gen as well. AC Unity specifically has issues on both consoles and is not evidence of anything other then a game that could have used an open beta. It is a more demanding game than Black Flag, so its not shocking that it would not hit the same levels of res and frame rate, but its the bugs throughout that are currently hurting the experience a lot.

Unity on PC, however, is a much bigger mess and needs technical work on the performance end.

Baji posted a single screenshot....

Let me rephrase my post for clarity,

<joke>

acuperformanceukotc.png

XBO CPU is about 10% faster than PS4 but has 20% more frames! Power of the cloud is real folks.

Where is the parity PS4 fans were complaining about? Looks like MS wasted their money.

</joke>

Does it read better now?

But was he posting that screenshot to try and prove that the X1 is as powerful as the ps4? Or was he comparing how a game looks on two platforms? It seems a little unfair to claim that posting screenshots comparing platforms is now off limits. I remember Metal Gear Solid getting that treatment around here and there wasn't any issue there.

Seems like a stretch to me. But then again, I'm not as sensitive to intentions of forum posters. I did see him make a joke about MS paying for parity and the power of the cloud, but I didn't see where he said this was some kind of proof about hardware.

Thank you.

Still, none of this changes the fact that the ps4 has a stronger gpu. However, don't be so shocked when games come out equal on both or even a rare case of the roles being reversed. Sometimes its poor optimization, sometimes its due to a game play choice (solid frame rate vs resolution) or simply a developer being more comfortable on certain hardware. This happened last gen as well. AC Unity specifically has issues on both consoles and is not evidence of anything other then a game that could have used an open beta. It is a more demanding game than Black Flag, so its not shocking that it would not hit the same levels of res and frame rate, but its the bugs throughout that are currently hurting the experience a lot.

Unity on PC, however, is a much bigger mess and needs technical work on the performance end.

He specifically stated "XBO CPU is about 10% faster than PS4 but has 20% more frames! Power of the cloud is real folks." in his post.

He wasn't just trying to say it was equal to, he was saying its better cause of that specific single screenshot of a buggy game (which is buggy on all platforms apparently). He added another post above to indicate it was a joke after I pointed out the fact that a single screenshot when the characters aren't even doing the same thing isn't a true comparison but from previous posts you can tell he actually believes in the magic 'cloud' and thinks the slightly increased clock speed on the same cpu (Yes, both have the same CPU) will make the Xbox One more powerful even though every single multiplatform game says otherwise and unsuprisingly a better GPU (Graphics Processing Card) coupled with better RAM (Random Access Memory) does actually give you better graphics.. 

I have no issue with posting screenshots. Screenshots can be used to see the graphics/resolution differences in a game. You can't tell if a game runs at 60fps or 20fps from a single screenshot and why go to the trouble of finding a single frame of a video where your console of choice has a better fps at that moment even though the characters aren't doing the same thing and then screenshotting it, putting it into a image editor and cropping it, then uploading it to a image hosting site, then writing up a post about how your prefered console is more powerful and linking that image in the post.. Just post the video and stop trying to be selective in the information you give cause it suits your agenda.

When does it get to the point where there's a difference?  Heh.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  The only real difference I saw was once when it switched between the PC and the XB1, the XB1 seemed lighter.

I can only say Warframes lighting looks a lot brighter on the X1 than my PC.  Less dreary.  It also looks like the game has more detail in some areas, but not all.  (Not comparing to the areas in the new PC patch, mind you.)

But I don't even have a DX11.2 card so couldn't say if that changes things at all.  DA:Is trial looked fantastic on my X1.  I wish I'd bought it on there so I could just keep playing, but I have a coop multiplayer group on PC.

Hutchinson completely dismissed the entire resolution debate in an interview with Official Xbox Magazine, claiming that the reality is that people just don't really care if a game is 1080p or not.

Dev says to Xbox magazine that resolution doesn't matter. Hold the press :laugh:. Of course that's what Microsoft and the Xbox press want the narrative to be. When the PS4 is consistently hitting higher resolutions than the Xbox, is it any wonder?

AC:Unity is clear cut case of a poorly optimised engine, combined with prebaked cpu intensive lighting, and excessive NPC's which add nothing to the gameplay bogging down the CPU. Hell, even on the PC, it's running like absolute crap.

He specifically stated "XBO CPU is about 10% faster than PS4 but has 20% more frames! Power of the cloud is real folks." in his post.

1rbsit.jpg

That "specific single screenshot" came from a thread on GAF because I am too lazy to make my own.

Far Cry 4 1080/30 on the PS4 with no screen tearing... Ubisoft.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-far-cry-4

It goes to show you that one game's performance does not represent what a platform is 'capable' of and it shows that one developer can create fairly different experiences from game to game.

Far Cry 4 is in vastly better shape than AC Unity.

The easy answer is that they are two different games in pretty much every detail. I'm willing to bet it is easier to hit 1080p with something like far cry, nice open and mostly empty jungle compared to densely packed city streets with more detail.

The easy answer is that they are two different games in pretty much every detail. I'm willing to bet it is easier to hit 1080p with something like far cry, nice open and mostly empty jungle compared to densely packed city streets with more detail.

Some of the detail is pretty impressive, though.  Bug eaten leaves?

Dev says to Xbox magazine that resolution doesn't matter. Hold the press :laugh:. Of course that's what Microsoft and the Xbox press want the narrative to be. When the PS4 is consistently hitting higher resolutions than the Xbox, is it any wonder?

AC:Unity is clear cut case of a poorly optimised engine, combined with prebaked cpu intensive lighting, and excessive NPC's which add nothing to the gameplay bogging down the CPU. Hell, even on the PC, it's running like absolute crap.

1080p may count... 1080p may not count... 1080p may count again... who knows...   :unsure: 

The one thing I do know is this... The difference in the games I've seen so far isn't drastic at all... It's a bragging point that's barely a bragging point...

In a lot of games you would literally have to strain to find the difference ...  Unless you are Digital Foundry or others like them, there is NO way you would waste your time to find that difference.